Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   yellow sticker club (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/3095-yellow-sticker-club.html)

Adr3naL1N 05-01-2006 04:52 PM

yellow sticker club

well got my first yellow sticker ever last night, on the freeway b4 the tunnel, went thru a booze bus n they told me to pull into the middle so they could check my suspension. She claimed it didnt meet the 100mm required, i had fkn 5 ppl in the car as well, and she wouldnt let any of us get out, or even to come back n have a look at how she was measuring it. So i will be goin over the pits for the first time soon.

Just wanted to know, i have no spoiler and the boot holes are still there, just got sticker tape over them for the mo, should i put the spoiler back on to take it over, or wont the pit ppl care about the holes?? also coz its got the third brake light in the spoiler?

i reckon my suspension will be alright, she was just being a bitch, ive seen lower make it throught the pits. Shouldnt have anything else to worry bout i dont think.

CDR RA 05-01-2006 04:55 PM

You will need your spoiler mounted rear brake light to pass.

fobz 05-01-2006 04:56 PM

You MUST have the high mount stop light. Put the spoiler back and connect the light
up otherwise you won't get past the pits. Just goes to show how dumb the cops are. They didn't even notice the 3rd brake light missing. Cops are morons, through and though.

Yet another fine example of how the police are protecting our society.

*Stockers* 05-01-2006 07:10 PM

Haha,
This happened to me also "Thats too low son!" but never mind the lack of high brake light lol....and i had black electric tape covering spoiler holes on a white car...
Well, he was right... The super lows had to go :(

Adr3naL1N 05-01-2006 07:50 PM

i got super lows too, i aint takin em out, unless they tell me too wen i go thru the pit, most ppl see my car and say i should gte thru, i mean they took the measurement last nite with 5 ppl in the car, im sure 400kg is gonna make a difference to the ride height.

STi Tuned 05-01-2006 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=Adr3naL1N]yellow sticker club [/QUOTE]
Congrats, we'll show you the secret handshake next meet.

Adr3naL1N 05-01-2006 09:00 PM

haha kool

so wots the deal with measuring the height, i mean wot if there is only you in the car? obviusly its not gonna sit as low, wot are they gonna do? grab 4 randoms n shove em in and them measure it, she claimed, wen we questioned her about us getting out of the car she sed, oh nah the 100mm is takin into account there is 5 ppl in the car, this just doesnt make sense. bullshit i tell you!!

STi Tuned 05-01-2006 09:38 PM

the 100ml (bout the same as a can of coke) is from the lowest point. By law it has to be higher than that fully loaded, but as you say they can't chuck randoms in your car. So they measure unloaded.

It’s pretty rare to past 1st shot & only $30 or so for the re-inspection. On the first inspection they’ll give you a sheet of what didn’t pass. Then when you go back they just check those things & don’t go over the car again.

Every time I’ve been they always seem to try hard on the first inspection to find something. On the second they don’t seem to give a shit. My advice would be leave the spoiler. If they’re looking for something it’s better they pick something you were going to do anyway & you may get away with it. If they don’t find anything they may start looking harder & pick up something petty anyway.

For more advice pick up a copy of my new book ‘yellow fever’. Available from the pit stop bookshop or where all good books are sold.

trainwrex 05-01-2006 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=Adr3naL1N]i got super lows too, i aint takin em out, unless they tell me too wen i go thru the pit, most ppl see my car and say i should gte thru, i mean they took the measurement last nite with 5 ppl in the car, im sure 400kg is gonna make a difference to the ride height.[/QUOTE]

I had to put the stock springs both times i got the yellows. I had a MY99 with king spring super lows.. They try and get their inflatable jack under the car.. It never made it for my car..

DAN682 05-01-2006 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=STi Tuned]the 100ml (bout the same as a can of coke) is from the lowest point. By law it has to be higher than that fully loaded, but as you say they can't chuck randoms in your car. So they measure unloaded.[/QUOTE]

Spot on!

The car must be fully loaded. When I got mine checked it JUST passed with nobody in it. The bloke ran a crow bar along the pit walls he said that is 105mm so if it passes that unloaded then it SHOULD pass loaded.

ps had to laugh this morning, cops had the booze bus setup at 9am!!!! just pulling out of mandurah I could not believe my eyes.

mitchy_ 06-01-2006 12:26 AM

trainwrex - the jack is higher than 100mm :P
when i took my car over, it sits at just over 100mm (and if you can manage to squish 5 people into my skyline, the teins wont drop below 100mm anyway :P) they got me to drive up on some wooden planks to get the jack under, heh

Mat 06-01-2006 01:47 AM

I've been yellowed a couple of times in the last year and i've always passed first go and done SFA to change the mods.

Last time Constable Care in HWY patrol yellowed me for Standard seats and the pits WERENT impressed. So much so, that they told me i had a cat in my dump pipe and not to rev my car over 2500 as its illegal over that :D

To get past the spoiler / light just use one of those rear brake lights that sit on your parcel shelf.

Other things they check include ride height / seatbelts / oil leaks / noise / bov / POD not secured / illegal mods / tyres / brakes etc etc etc.

NVRENUF 06-01-2006 07:15 AM

let us know if you make it over with super lows would be good to see..

I thought as long as ur car makes it over that concrete part at pit means it clears.

Josh 06-01-2006 10:06 AM

I'm a bit worried now if you have problems with super lows! I'll be picking up the springs Bakks had in his car shortly. Eek!

EYEZ 06-01-2006 10:53 AM

If you can, go to the Midland transport as they have passed both my rexys and my gtir when they didn't comply ... too low, bov too loud, exhaust too loud, wheels too big, suspension too low, no high level brake light .
All they did each time is "advise" me to sort the problems or i may end up getting another sticker . Make sure you go on the road test though cos they fang the fuck out of ya car !!

Stuart

Adr3naL1N 06-01-2006 01:26 PM

yeah midland is abit far for me, yer im gonna adjust the bov too, prolly slightly too loud, its a hybrid n i think i got it on 50/50 but above about 3500 it becomes abit loud, ill adjust that n put the spoiler back on and just take it through with the super lows on.

BALISTC 06-01-2006 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=NVRENUF]let us know if you make it over with super lows would be good to see..

I thought as long as ur car makes it over that concrete part at pit means it clears.[/QUOTE]

This is the deal with the super lows.

Officially, they arent legal. They dont meet the minimum hub to guard measurement for a WRX, to make them height legal. BUT, I've been over the pits 3 times with them, and they have been just fine.

Rule of thumb: If your car doesnt look too low, they wont bother checking height, and that goes for cops and pit inspectors alike.

One time I went over the pits, the inspector checked my springs to see if they were captive IE seated on the top and bottom spring mount on the strut, when the suspension is fully jacked up (at full droop).

He told me they JUST pass for being captive, cos he could swivel them in their seat a little bit, but there was no up and down motion. Ultra lows will not pass as they would not be captive.

Because most Aussie made springs arent quite a precision instrument, exact spring lengths might vary slightly. Even a few mm variance can make one set of springs captive, and one set non captive and therefore illegal.

It also depends on which pits you go to and who you get. I've only been checked for spring captivity once, and the other times they didnt bother.

wwwrexotic 06-01-2006 02:28 PM

i had no problem with the super lows at midland even though the cop wrote to low. the inspector guy told me if u can get it over this concrete at the pit then its fine. also he send me back for the BOV even though it was adjusted to the minimum
good luck

Adr3naL1N 06-01-2006 03:01 PM

yeah well thats wot ive been booked for, being too low, so they will def be payin close attention to my ride height, jst have to see how i go.

this pic isnt 100 percent clear, but thats the ride height atm. needa a better pic

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/pp-classifieds/data/2/70Image010-large.jpg[/url]

trainwrex 06-01-2006 03:05 PM

ull get done easy mate..

Adr3naL1N 06-01-2006 03:29 PM

done? as in they'll tel me to change the suspension?

Josh 06-01-2006 03:35 PM

Yes, I think that's what Tino is saying.

It does look really low from the photos!

Adr3naL1N 06-01-2006 03:40 PM

aah well if they tell me to change it, ill have to. ill just go thru n see wot they say.

DAN682 06-01-2006 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=Adr3naL1N]yeah well thats wot ive been booked for, being too low, so they will def be payin close attention to my ride height, jst have to see how i go.

this pic isnt 100 percent clear, but thats the ride height atm. needa a better pic

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/pp-classifieds/data/2/70Image010-large.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

If that passes at that height, please post up the inspection centre you went to :D

trainwrex 06-01-2006 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Adr3naL1N]done? as in they'll tel me to change the suspension?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thanks for clarifying josh. I had a similar ride height on my 99 and had to change back to the orignal suspension when going over the pits

Adr3naL1N 06-01-2006 06:49 PM

got the orginal springs still luckily, found em in the shed, so ill put them back in if i have to.

d_generate 07-01-2006 02:37 AM

Wherever you go if you see an Indian inspector hit reverse n run like hell, he is a pedantic PRICK even all the other inspectors hate him, most of the guys know there is a bit of grey between black & white and are pretty good now so go in with the right attitude & you should be ok, Midland is really good & open at 7.30 am, I've put 5 cars over in the past year & only had a problem once & that was with the above inspector doing relief & I think the concrete strips are usually what they go by. Good luck.

Adr3naL1N 07-01-2006 09:07 AM

im startin to think the trip to midland might be worth it, might head to that one.

REXLLENT 08-01-2006 10:58 PM

i got yellow stickered coz my indcators were not orange enough and my gt wing the pits in welshpool said that they would pass it if i put a high brake light in. and u might as well take the BOv of coz i turned mine down to make the minimum but he said take it off. he also said that i had to drop the exhaust level by over 10db :)

PROBLM 09-01-2006 03:20 PM

Ive beene trying to get my legacy licenced and they told me that i had to have at least 100mm clearence at the LOWEST point, With 5 people and a full boot load. id say thats a little steep. As for the little concrete lip. It almost took my front bumper off, had to put blocks of wood under the front wheels and still it scraped the legnth of the exhaust.

PROBLM 09-01-2006 03:22 PM

also dont forget your carton in the back seat with a smiley face. ;)

westoz 09-01-2006 11:30 PM

Just two things from reading this thread:

1. Cops CAN'T tell you that you can't alight from a vehicle. That's just good ol' fashioned bluff. Further, you CAN be present when they do inspections, take measurements etc. We still live in a free country :D .

2. Be wary when deciding to go to an inspection centre which aint ya local. Some inspectors at the "friendly" centre may well be sympathetic to your cause (they all know why u r there) but ya could get unlucky & strike one who has a whole set of fine toothed combs :mad: . At least have a good, plausible reason for going to say, Midland, when ya live in Scarbs.

Adr3naL1N 25-01-2006 05:48 PM

Well as an update, i took it to welshpool leaving everything how it was last week, being only done for the ride height, came out needing to chnage the ridfe height, change the bov and zorst was slightly too loud. Oh and also he measured my tint, which was by the way completly standard out of the subaru factory and that was too dark by 5 percent!!!1 luckily he let that one slide.

It ended up being my exhaust that just sat too low and the guy sed raise that n u should get through. borrowed a standard exhaust off rms (much thanx) leaving the ride height n changed the bov to plumbback, and left the super low springs in. Went back to welshpool this morning and got a different guy, this guy didnt even bother checking the car, just looked at it, went under for about two secs and se nup needs to be higher. Was pissed off as hell.

So during my lunch break i took in to midland and they passed it staright away, took less then 2 minutes easy as that :), also coz the guy at welshpool stuffed up the first time the invoice wasnt on the system and avoided paying the 37 bucks. So got the yellow off now while being able to leave the super lows in. My advice is, go to the midland one haha.

Turbohead 25-01-2006 11:47 PM

This came from the DPI web site [url]http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1889.asp[/url]

Interesting that no where here does it mention the "100mm" rule at all.... It would be nice if SOMEONE in authority knew the bloody rules.

----------------------------------------------------------

Suspension
Modifications to be suspension system are subject to the following :

Cutting, welding, heating or bending of any suspension component is not permitted.

Any shortening or resetting of springs must be carried out by a recognised spring maker.

A vehicle must not be lowered more than 1/3 of the bump clearance originally specified by the vehicle manufacturer and the distance measured from the ground to the lower edge of the reflecting surface of the headlamp must not be less than 500mm.

Lowering of a vehicle should be equal front and rear to retain the original horizontal plane.

No part of a vehicle or accessories (except flexible mud flaps) shall project below the lower edge of a wheel rim.

d_generate 26-01-2006 12:39 AM

Won't say I told you so BUT...........

AWDmoke 26-01-2006 01:24 AM

I couldn't find reference to the 100mm rule, but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.

From the new National Code of Practice [URL=http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/PDF/NCOP11%20Section%20LS%20Suspension%20and%20steering%2019sept2005.pdf]NCOP[/URL]

[QUOTE]When lowering a vehicle, the ride height of an unladen vehicle must not be changed by more than one third of the working travel of the suspension from its original height to a rigid bump or rebound position specified by the manufacturer. The suspension bump and rebound positions are measured with any deformable bump or rebound stops removed. The original relationship between the front and rear suspension heights must not be changed and therefore the front and rear suspensions must be both raised or both lowered by the same amount[/QUOTE]

Chooksie 28-01-2006 09:42 AM

dammnit i dont like being part of this club,
was done last year for excessive noise,
they thought i had mods under the hood and checked out the whole car
even though most i have even done is a little bit of retrimming?! Carpets , neons etcetera.

all it was, that i had a hole in the exhaust, i loved it it was my cheap boy racer thing.

Any who, I ended up being wrestled out of 1300 dollaroo's.

Damn government

Bakks 28-01-2006 02:13 PM

I am now a member. Not suprisingly!

STi Tuned 28-01-2006 02:33 PM

Ha.. how long did that take ya paul? is it much of a head fk to get it up for the pits?

Bakks 28-01-2006 02:46 PM

At this ride height, oh two weeks.

Nah should be ok, its just the tint. Quieten BOV, put stock exhaust back on, raise coil overs, rip tint off, done (hopefully).