Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 04:56 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

zuum at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 09 View Post

Forrester:

--my08 donk, poorer handling, and bigger and more cumbersome, fuel usage etc. Never really wanted an SUV. 6 week wait.

++ Perfect for dog, kid,prams, camping etc etc. Still good performance and looks good in dark colours.

Can anyone with kids or relevant feedback please speak up! Especially those with the mentioned cars and kids.

Thanks....
Have 06 XT... plus two kids...

Handling can be fixed, fuel really depends on your foot, for the missus a tank lasts a week where as for me about a weekend.

I drive a recently dimpled Echo from a WRX as a daily, makes me suicidal but the wallet is happy and use the family wagon on the weekend.
It aint that cumbersome, get the forrie and be patient for your next WRX.....
To be honest the Forrie is already getting small for us but should do the job for now.

Enjoy!
Old 15-04-2010, 05:03 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

R H C P at standard level

I think you'd be a lot better off the with Forester. 150 litres more storage space with the seats up and more than double the space with the seats down would be the kicker if I was in your situation. The poor handling could be resolved with 1 mod. The XT is much taller, but only 5cm wider and 10cm longer that the WRX hatch. And the claimed highway fuel consumption for the XT is 11.1 compared to the 10.4 of the hatch... not that much of a difference.

Go the fozza!
Old 15-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Subaru Tech Division

PRODIGY at standard level

I've got two youngish kids and plenty of room in the back of the rex for them plus you can get a surprising amount of crap in the boot including a pram, stroller etc. I assume the MY10 boot would be a similar size.

As for the hatch with the anchor points being in crap position, are they at the front of the boot floor near the hatch opening? If they are it is a real pain, we had an old Toyota Rav 4 with them there and when the kids were young it was a nightmare getting the pushchair in and out, thankfully when we upgraded to a newer Rav they moved the anchor points to directly behind the rear seat.
Old 15-04-2010, 05:09 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinhgy View Post
id say the forry
bending over to take the baby out of a sedan or hatch can take its toll on your and your wifes back.
+1. We had a 2001 Corolla when our first arrived. Missus was pregnant with our second and found getting the first in and out of the car a real pain. We then bought a new RAV4 and there was a huge difference

Always gotta look at the purpose the car will fulfil most of the time. In this case family wagon, so get a family wagon (even if it is a rather quick one).
Old 15-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

Liberty Wagon FTW

We have an 05 Liberty Wagon which is brilliant for the family. If I were you I would be looking for a circa 07-08 Liberty GT Wagon. It ticks all the boxes...
Old 15-04-2010, 06:00 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

silvascoob at standard level

as everyone has already said, get the forester. Handling can be easily fixed, a diffback will give you the burble, while other mods will make it as quick as a wrx.
Old 15-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

We have a 5 month old baby boy, the wife drives a Forester and I have an 07 STi. Babies need ALOT of crap carted around with them. For practicality, with the baby, the Forester wins hands down, its a no contest. I'd go the XT mate, you do get the Rex motor and with a few simple suspension mods you'll have an all round nice car.

More importantly though mate, you are about to experience the most awesome thing you've ever done. Becomng a Dad Enjoy.

Cheers
Zombee
Old 15-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Sir AntiLag

WHITEMY08 at standard level

I have 2 kids with an 08 hatch, even at the ages of 8 and 4 they have a whole heap of crap but not as much as when they were younger.
I would go the Foz and do some handling mods, as it is I am looking for a cheap one atm but with the intention for off road not on.
Old 15-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

mike 09 at standard level

Thanks, some very sensible advice there... Maybe too sensible!!! You are supposed to corrupt me, not actually help.... Cheers to Zombee for the encouragement too...

Some further info which might make it clearer as to why this is a hard decision.

1) Insurance company can refuse to supply a different model, and payout market value which = $33,500. (as opposed to $40K @ Fleet pricing for replacment). I'm waiting for a response on that.

Same goes for cash payout, so 2nd hand is not an option if we want maximum value out of the insurance company.

2) We can sell the WRX in 12 - 18 months and still come out ahead.

3) I already have a 3" TXS system for a hatch with only a few weeks driving on it, swaybars, short shifter, genuine mats and a cargo tray.

4) I know I won't be able to resist spending more $$$ on mods on the Forester.

I think we are heading towards the forester if the insurance company will allow it, if not get the hatch and sell it later on at no loss.

How many have actually driven an my08+ Forester? They look bigger than the older ones now?

2010 Hatch
267 hp & 425nm ASG Dyno.
Old 19-04-2010, 01:20 PM
STI Master

Darken at standard level

The MY08+ Forester drive really good! Mind you the balloon tyres make it feel very spongy on the road. A set of 20's with low profile tyres will fix this and a bit of suspension work to tighten up the play when taking corners! Go the Forester!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 09 View Post
How many have actually driven an my08+ Forester? They look bigger than the older ones now?

Tags
advice, dilemma, wrx