Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Scoobie Noobie

BlackMale at standard level
Default Attempting to learn from the experience of others.

As I said in the opening post I am sure that many of you are going to know far more about a 1997 WRX then I am ever going to know so I can learn from others and do not have to learn the hard way I have a few quick questions.

1) I have had a look and it would appear that I can not bolt a pair of 6x9 speakers straight into the rear parcel shelf without modification or speaker spacers required? Is this correct? What have others done to resolve this?

2) I have been looking a set of sway bar’s how can I expect this to change the handling if at all? Any brand recommendations?

3) Do members of this forum take their cars to any controlled environment to learn the limits of the car? If so where would you recommend? And is there going to be a group activities anytime soon?

4) I know that this is a person preference however what tyres do you currently run? And why? (my current tyres are ok however just curious).

5) Currently the sound of the exhaust is a little invasive when in the car – I think that there is about a 5” exhaust tip on there. I still want that retain that wicked boxer burble however not to the extent it is currently, therefore any exhaust tip suggestions?

In advance, thanks for your contribution.
Regards Craig.
Old 20-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

(3) track days pop up on the forum and you can also ring rac driver training center for tuning avos and skid pans
Old 20-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

1 - if you're running a sub, 6x9 in the rear isnt needed, just some 6.5" coaxial for rear fill.. but if you dont have a sub, just use mdf spacers or something similar...

2 - i found sway bars to be the best handling mod i've done so far... whiteline or cusco are the most recommended, i went with whiteline because of price and availability. expect to pay 230-250 a bar. I'd recommend getting the adjustable bars, so you can play with stiffness to suit your driving etc. Go for the thicker bar in the rear to even out that understeer...

3- as munya said, the club runs occasional RAC/AHG skidpan days where you can safely explore the limits of the car. Beyond that, go down to whoop ass wednesday at the drags, will set you back $45 as a competitor for as many runs as you can fit into an evening.
No limits evenings at barbagallos is another option, which involve a few laps around the track etc, but I personally havent done one of these yet.

4- my personal preference for tyres are Bridgestone RE001s, as they are pretty grippy in both the wet and the dry. They lasted me 50,000km with plenty of spirited driving and a few driving events.
stick with 16s for events and spirited driving, as the tyres are considerably cheaper.

5 - an oval type rear muffler should be a lot less 'drony' in the car, mms/butler exhausts are good from my experience.
Old 21-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Impreza WRX Owners Club of WA (IWRXOC) run quite a few track days each year including:

Easter Mon: RAC Driving Centre full track
May: Barbagallo full day
August: Skid pan 1/2 day RAC Driving Centre
September: Track night, Barbagallo
November: Collie Motorplex full weekend
December: RAC Driving Centre full track

Also 4 rounds of the Wheels World EVO vs WRX Motorsport Series:
March: Jack's Hill
April: Speed Dome
July: RAC Driving Centre
October: Collie Motorplex

So plenty right there!

www.wrxownersclub.com.au
Old 21-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

1. Speakers add weight, so don't do it.

2. Sway bars will stop the car from rolling (i.e. keep it flatter in a corner) essentially. Rear sway will allow for more over steer, front sway bar will allow for faster corner entry. Talk to you favourite suspension shop to work out what you want. My suggestion is either get Cusco front and rear straight up or an adjustable rear 24mm set to medium/soft - then you can later add on the front.

Note: A professional alignment will transform the car more than any suspension mod!

3. Start off with a session at the RAC skidpan. Learn to control the car around some cones at slowish speeds. Get someone to film you face when you spin the car out for the first time Progress to longer track stuff (i.e. V8 track at RAC, Collie raceway, No Limits nights at Wanneroo etc).

4. For street tyres, something like RE001's, AD08's, 595's would be great. Don't buy cheap china crap, remember the tyres are the only thing connecting your car to the road, so they are the best modification you can ever do to a car.

5. Swap to an oval or twin tip rear muffler. Or harden up
Old 21-06-2010, 09:03 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

There's a RAC skid pan day being held this Friday afternoon. Pop on down and come check it out.

Tags
attempting, experience, learn