Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Sir AntiLag

AC Schnitzer at standard level
Default ECU retune

I'm thinking of installing my FMIC soon and I know a retune is required to take advantage of the mod.

Currently running on Ecutek 3 and I'm wondering if a road tune is sufficient or do I have to have it dyno tune ? Rang up RT and they said its a case by case basis.

Roadtune is anywhere about $120 (approx 2hrs) region and Dyno is about $400-$500+++ for a retune.
Old 26-03-2006, 03:33 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

quigebo at standard level

hi irwin..

as RT said it depends in most cases.. and the tuner id say..

a road tune is better at getting the 'little things' sorted.. you can see a lot more happening on gear changes and off-throttle like boost fluctuation and spikes that the dyno doesnt show.. i had a boost spike problem and never showed on the dyno till i took an RT tuner (u all know who it is!) out for a spin last week and showed him.. road tune ironed out most of the prob..

if we had heaps of coin it would be dyno run.. followed by road tune.. followed by naked girls on my private yacht with jessica alba making drinks
Old 26-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigebo
hi irwin..

as RT said it depends in most cases.. and the tuner id say..

a road tune is better at getting the 'little things' sorted.. you can see a lot more happening on gear changes and off-throttle like boost fluctuation and spikes that the dyno doesnt show.. i had a boost spike problem and never showed on the dyno till i took an RT tuner (u all know who it is!) out for a spin last week and showed him.. road tune ironed out most of the prob..

if we had heaps of coin it would be dyno run.. followed by road tune.. followed by naked girls on my private yacht with jessica alba making drinks
Cool. With the dyno apart from the charts, don't they hook the ECU up with a laptop and make changes from there as well ?

From my understanding, I thought road tune enables the tuner to iron out the problems without the dyno charts hence no evidence of performance gains other than feel it out through "butt" dyno. Dyno tune enables both. Not sure if thats correct.

By the way I had the coilovers installed. Vast amount of improvement on cornering ! Had it on the stiffest setting and boy its bumpy !
Old 27-03-2006, 03:09 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

olite at standard level

Good thing you start this thread.. was gonna get my car retuned as well. anyone know a good place to retune ecutek 3?
Old 27-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by olite
Good thing you start this thread.. was gonna get my car retuned as well. anyone know a good place to retune ecutek 3?
hmmm most would recommend you go back to the same tuner when you first got the tek 3. Reason being same style of tuning.
Old 27-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

How is an ECUTek road tuned?? I thought that ECUTek could only be "flashed", not tuned in real-time??

Does that mean the tuner takes it for a spin, comes back to the workshop then mucks around with it, then takes it for a drive again??
Old 27-03-2006, 12:24 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Stock Ecu's are much like tuning a UTEC.

Check log, make changes, dyno and check.. then redo process.

Which equals very long time to get something right (if your are new to it).

If you want real-time stuff, be prepared to start learning how microprocessors work and DIY coding etc.

Another alternative would be to get a COBB Tuning AP and with their changes to the ECU, you could do REAL-TIME stuff.

Last edited by Intra; 27-03-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 27-03-2006, 12:28 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

AFAIK , Ecutek maps are encrypted at the application level. So a tuners map and settings are safely secured and tied to the site licence (dont hold me to that however).

Once the tuner has come to the point where he/she is happy with the tune, the settings are reassembled back into the proper ROM format for flashing.

You could reverse the ROM and then do stuff to it from that angle.. sure..

Just depends on what you want to do really.
Old 27-03-2006, 12:46 PM
STI Master

REXXX at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intra
Once the tuner has come to the point where he/she is happy with the tune, the settings are reassembled back into the proper ROM format for flashing.
from memory, this is how it was explained to me by Steve@mms in regard to road tuning and custom tunes.
data logged/monitored and changes made offline, then reassembled to be flashed back. monitored again, changes made again if necessary, flashed again - and so on...
makes sense.
Old 27-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by olite
Just called both MMS and RT.

Lane won't be available from 6th april onwards till 20th and neither is he free from now till the 6th.

For MMS, you'll have to call Steve on wed as he's away and the guy on the phone wouldn't give a date till Steve is back. Apparently they are pretty busy with some ongoing rally events.

Saved you some money sucking telecom companies.

Tags
ecu, retune