Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level
Default Taking Door trims off.

ok tomorrow taking doors trims off a 2006 impreza and not sure
how they come off dont want to break anything.

and for future reference my 2002 wrx would be handy as well.

thanks
Old 29-04-2006, 08:11 PM
d_generate

Going by most Subi doors I've pulled apart there is usually a screw behind the door pull handle & two behind plugs in the arm rests & possibly one at the front of the trim, you will probably have to slide the cover around the handle back or forward to get it off then grab the trim from the bottom and gently but firmly pull it outward to undo the clips, you may also have to hold the inner door handle open to slide the trim over it then once it is loose push it up so it comes out of the window track & then unplug the wiring harness.
Old 29-04-2006, 08:47 PM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level
Default Bugeye trim-removal

Ive taken the door trims off my Bugeye a few times-mostly without breaking much....

Attached are some crummy pics with arrows trying to show the basic process...which i learnt the hard way

On the "Bug", front and rear doors are very similar in dissembly, though the rear door has a "expanding-thread plug" (which i didnt see the first time) on the end of the door. Essentially:

1) Remove both threads located under rubber covers in both the "door-hand-hold" and next to the internal door release lever.

2) After, remove both the actual housing of the hand-hold, and the outer plastic cover that surrounds the internal door release(use care with this one..)

3) Panel then pops forward off the metal structure of the door. Pop-revitts are located at even spacing around the outside of the door-cant remeber how many there are-but panel should just pull off...fingers crossed.

4) Once panel "pops" forward, you will need to lift it upwards, off the "pink" hook/guide thingees located up at the top of the door(see my pic)

5) Installation is reverse - NB, Wind windows down to put panel back on-otherwise you stamp your feet and swear quite a bit, throwing screwdrivers around...while you try to work out why the panel just wont flex like some woman that you've experienced...

Not sure about more recent models i.e., MY06-but i highly suspect that its a very similar process after looking in some of the other members rides....

Hope this helps...and if anybody has a more simple way of doing this i would like to know...

Cheers

Chris
Old 29-04-2006, 08:54 PM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

I forgot about electrics...(power windows)

If you have these, you will need to disconnect the circuit board from the plastic buttons (it has clips that require the gentle hands of a expericed man to get them to release..)

Then guide circuit board, once separated from the plastic buttons, back through the gap of the panel
Old 30-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

man ive taken the doors off my 06 plenty of times.. one screw in the door handle, one in the thing where u pull the door closed with... then just pop the elec windows out (from right to left as ur looking at the door trim) and pull the door handle surround out (right to left, be careful at its very fragile) then just pull the door trim from the bottom, its all those plastic lugs and clips n shit so it just pops out. all that will be left is the top near the window seal (PS its best to have the window down during all of this) then just lift the door trim out from the bottom, slide it to the right away from where the wing mirror sits and it will just come away. Its a 1 minuite job once u get they hang of it... if there was a comp, who can get their 06 door trim off the fastest, i recon i could win it...

Ps: its a fucken bitch undoing the wireing for the elecy windows... be patient it will unclip eventually... cursing doesnt help...

Old 30-04-2006, 02:02 AM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

In my former trade, I've pulled hundreds of door trims off; obviously out of what are older cars now. When I took the front door trims outta Rexy (99), I could see that things haven't changed too much .

Word of advice: be damn careful with those little arrow type plastic clips (assuming the 01 onwards still use 'em), coz they: (1) love to break, or worse (2) can cause a piece of the panelite to break out, meaning that the clip will no longer be useful in that location.

Use 2 medium size flat blade screwdrivers simultaneously to prise out each clip "weeding fork" style to convince 'em who's boss.
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 30-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoz
Use 2 medium size flat blade screwdrivers simultaneously to prise out each clip "weeding fork" style to convince 'em who's boss.
no need for this, they pop out really easy. there is no prying required... it really is a 1 min job..
Old 30-04-2006, 12:40 PM
STI Master

Miggidy at standard level

www.scoobymods.com

A few tutorials for different models

Tags
door, taking, trims