Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 07:57 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Mattr!x at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
You might find that there is a bit of work required to get rid of the rattles, but I'm glad that I'm not alone on this front.

Typical rattles include dash (central area), A & B pillars.
Not having the Sedan means you don't have to deal with the rear parcel shelf rattles, but the hatch will still have one or two associated with the cargo tray/cover.
There is a fix for this though.

Surely this isn't possible?!

Well i've been known to use:

Carpet Underlay
Gaffa Tape (nice thick black stuff)
Dynamat of course
...and all the usual tie ups and cable ties ....

i've even considered but not used yet that spray in foam stuff (spongee type not hard setting..) but i thought that might be taking things a little far...!!
Old 26-11-2012, 08:01 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
Why an MY11 STI is the same as a mortgage.

Car loan $ 340.00/week
Insurance $ 50/week
Petrol $ 150/week
Servicing/Tyres/other $ 50.00/week
Total $ 590.00 Week
Mortgage around $ 650/week

Pretty much the same?

Far out!
So true - so all you wipper snappers out there:
Make a choice now while your young:

CAR or HOUSE

then get your nice car later.... !!

Man i feel old.
Old 26-11-2012, 08:24 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

***Alert***

I was at a dealer today and they said all 300 of the CS12/sim upgraded ones had sold and that for the same price a new "S" was coming with even more bits added to it....
Old 26-11-2012, 09:38 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Freeway driving.... what revs are you doing @ 100kph and 110 in these newer ones?

went to look at some today first one was a fleet car pretty messed up to the critical eye... and second was sold already! not many around i tell ya!
Old 26-11-2012, 09:45 PM
STI Master

steve-lang knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattr!x View Post
Freeway driving.... what revs are you doing @ 100kph and 110 in these newer ones?
2800ish @ 100
3100ish @ 110
5400ish @ 215
08 wrx stockish
Old 26-11-2012, 10:15 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Mmm ic ta - I don't get why they don't lower it 2200 or around there they still really pull down there esp these 2.5's - it's been so long I forgot what me old '05 was but I'm sure it was around the Same/sim as 3k rpm

Last edited by Mattr!x; 26-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 27-11-2012, 07:40 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Ok so i took a couple for a drive today.

A my09 hatch and my11 sdn.

MY09

Very pleasantly surprised! (remember im coming from a 05 sedan that had very very hard suspension)

Nice ride on freeway and side roads alike suspension is fine for me for everyday normal driving. I can see how most cart boy riderz would like it harder and more controlled tho.

It was weird driving a wrx without hearing the typical throaty exhaust tone and noise that im used to.

Doing 95 on the freeway even in 5th put the foot down Awesome! Really nice pull love that 2.5 with the turbo great stuff!!

WRX MY11 Sedan

My word right from the startup exhaust!!! Even fresh faced salesman (hadn't driven one yet) was whoa! Drone ~2000rpm under de acceleration to the point of reverberating loudly in the cabin. Every gear change seem to be a exhaust noise of some sort as the revs dip and go back up... mmm

Felt similar on the road and freeway suspension wise. Generally perhaps a tad assured of itself over the 09/10. Felt a bit quicker. (psychology perhaps due to hearing exhaust note)

Overall "fun" and certainly brought out the boy racer in ones blood

Was hard to tell if the sedan was noisier in that it was the my11 and not a my9/10 sedan vs same quiet hatch. But doing 100 kp/h no noise and was nice cruising.

Really like the wide body paneling in person. Really looks the part and makes the car more aggressive looking.

Summary:

Taking into consideration in stock form and "not" wanting to mod (ha see how long that lasts)

*Definitely prefer hatch! - No boot space on sedan / very cramped badly designed. But hey if someone wants to donate there sedan and get one these newer ones i won't complain :P

*MY11 exhaust fun but maybe a little bit too much for normal....and the drone "pressure" in the cabin is a bit full on... - YES easily fixed with a straight thru single sided exhaust but that means more $$

I strangely didn't feel however that they are built as "strong" or well as the older ones! "Just a feeling" like if i did my mods to it that i did with the 05 and took it up another modest 40kw atw over stock that it might easily break...

Does anyone know what psi the turbo is at in these my09+ is at? and no i didn't get my 40kw with previous rex by crazy silly pressure increasing..

The typical things then occurred and one got shuffled into the "finance guy" who then did some number trickery and proceeded to try and sell me a STI instead for around same weekly money! LOL hadn't even considered a STI and don't particularly want one i don't think... and time ran out so wasn't able to take one for a drive.... but damn those ricaro seats are squishy! Reminded all of why i sold the 05 cs8 leather jobby.

I didn't bother testing the stereo as i;ve read so many times and know that they are complete crap...

Anyway all this makes you depressed when you know that USA sti are only $35K +on roads and wrx $25K + on roads Brand new! - you would think that we would combine with UK and all other right handed driving car countrys and get the same volume to get the better price like usa gets.... unless the dealers here are making squilions! anyway off topic..

So i just need to think about money and how much boy racer is left in me.

I think im enjoying the ride - say one of the clutches felt harder to push in then the others.... std wrx here - must of had a clutch replacement - heavier duty perhaps...??

Thinking time...
Thanks,
Matt
Old 27-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
*MY11 exhaust fun but maybe a little bit too much for normal....and the drone "pressure" in the cabin is a bit full on... - YES easily fixed with a straight thru single sided exhaust but that means more $$
Only cost me $250 to get mine done, or $350 for a stainless steel muffler, so it isn't that expensive.

Quote:
Does anyone know what psi the turbo is at in these my09+ is at? and no i didn't get my 40kw with previous rex by crazy silly pressure increasing..
Thought stock boost was 14 or 14.5 psi (or just shy of 1 bar).
Old 27-11-2012, 08:41 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Forgot one thing!

Steering wheel height! Damn even with the seat all the way down (uncomfortable) you can barely get your leg under... changing gears has to be done sort of on a twisty angle...

I didn't think i was that tall!! and im not only 5'11.

Thanks Soksta. Re the exhaust - so easiest is get a muffler of ones choosing and get them bend up some pipe to connect up to the single pipe coming up diff back so to speak. Is that what you had done?
Old 27-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Steering wheel height! Damn even with the seat all the way down (uncomfortable) you can barely get your leg under... changing gears has to be done sort of on a twisty angle...
I'm about 6 foot from memory and have gotten used to this, drive with the seat nearly all the way back and push my leg on an angle to change gears.
Little uncomfortable at first, but it doesn't take long to get used to and ignore it.

Quote:
Thanks Soksta. Re the exhaust - so easiest is get a muffler of ones choosing and get them bend up some pipe to connect up to the single pipe coming up diff back so to speak. Is that what you had done?
I had the mid pipe cut just before it meets the Y section of the exhaust (almost in line with the rear diff), had the biggest oval muffler I could get installed and had a couple of hangers and pipe fabricated to fit.

I've been told that I can now be heard coming (not that this matters to me), but the obnoxious drone inside the cabin is all but gone even though you can hear the boxer rumble inside.

Happy to demonstrate it for peace of mind if it helps.
Will be out and about on Saturday so if you have some free time, send me a PM.

Tags
buy, howdy, wrx