Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By astralex
  • 1 Post By Rossco
  • 1 Post By amtrapid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 AM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff
Default What ecu is a good match

Hi people,
sick of stock ecu in my rs I have a 97 wrx ecu and engine. Im using a tdo4l 13, the rs liberty water to air Intercooler ,3 inch TBE ,stock airbox with resonactomy ,walbro pump and new profec Ecb at 14psi runinng map sensor still with a turbosmart boost cut defender. Have searched the forum and others looking at pros and cons of ECU's.
May upgrade to a vf 23/24 down the track and injectors but not looking at going nuts. Want to keep the water to air as I'm running a gx bonnet on the car and not having a scoop stops unwanted attention so much. Car is used for fun, weekends and starting hillclimbs and track work.
Used to run Motec on my GTR know it works but had a lot of mods cams etc on that car. The question is with the mods future mods listed am I better saving money and going a second hand power fc, or my other option was to spend the money and go Vipec. Feed back appreciated. Want to tune the car and not have codes etc popping up . All my sensors Afm etc are in good working order just went through them all.

cheers

Last edited by amtrapid; 08-02-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

My MY99 started life with a Power FC with mild mods (Turbo, exhaust, intercooler) and have since changed over to a ViPec ECU, however this change was partly due to new engine, cams, etc etc, overkill/pointless shit. With this small bit of experience, I can say that both ECU's are great bits of kit. The PFC was more than adequate a computer with the mods my car had at the time (somewhat similar to your position), I ran a Z32 AFM as well, and had the car tuned by ASG. Never had any issues relating to codes appearing. I did flood one PFC, and it didn't want to play after that, but it was an issue not related to the actual ECU.

I've now been running the ViPec for 2 or so years hassle free, the advantage of it over the PFC was going to MAP sensor, deleting AFM (failure point), antilag/rotational idle/general member stroking, but other than that, as a car that get's driven once or twice a week, I don't actually notice any significant difference to the ECU side of things.

My recommendation would be go PFC. There are still many around, there are great tuners in WA for them (ASG), they have a funky control unit you can play around with yourself and view real time data, and yeh. That's my two cents.
amtrapid likes this.
amtrapid (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

^^^ This

The PFC is the best bang for buck.
On a stock EJ a PFC will give you all the tune-ability you want whilst retaining all of factory ECU's functions.

The only thing you'll need to work out is how to switch the Water to Air system waterpump from low speed to High speed when on boost...... The PFC won't do this afaik.

Actually....... You have a WRX ecu in it now - How are you switching the speed of the pump for the cooler??
amtrapid likes this.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:
amtrapid (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 01:08 PM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

The cooler motor is wired to run flat out all the time via a small board with a variable resistor . Haven't had any issues so far just bought a kit from jaycar and soldered it up think it was called motor speed controller kit cost 15 bucks at the time.Think ill look at PFC rather spend the extra money to put towards a 6speed conversion possibly.

cheers
Rossco likes this.

Tags
ecu, match