Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

My link is tuned by speedworks and is the 10 row fuel and ignition one.... most peoples link cars drive like shit because they are 6 row and have antilag... if they got rid of the antilag Bling (bit of a rice mod for 99.9% of the time), they could have much better tune cars. My car does 400k's on a tank and has a pretty smooth power curve. Only link issue i have is the idle when cold is sometimes a little hesitant for first minute... other than that it does the job. I wouldn't ever have fitted one myself but as the car came with it I have just tuned it to suit.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 PM
STI Master

LegacyGT at standard level

as it has been said. the ecu is only as good as its tuner
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 AM
blackietattat

just wondering, with minor mods, would people still need it to be tuned?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackietattat
just wondering, with minor mods, would people still need it to be tuned?
yes.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

A full replacement ECU comes from factory with a basic map that allows you to start the car. its not something you just whack into the car and on the basis of "basic" mods assume that it will be running with the correct timing, AFR, etc

Why skim on the tune (around 600-800) for a potential engine rebuild that can cost up to 6-8k?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Sir AntiLag

scooby99 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to scooby99

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
I have had no one whos ever used one and spoken to me personally say good things about them. All of these people, unlike my good self, are respected members of this community and have a clue

I've driven one link powered scoobi... it felt like a pig. Blame the tuner for that one though, so I dont have enough personal experience to compare. Joes WRX felt 100 times nicer after his change to motec too.
I'll take you for a drive TJ ..... see what u think of links then when tuned properly. We'll have a good chat on the way about them too about what 0 trouble ive had with it.

Im a big believer in it comes down to the turner. Sean tuned my car to a nice 207kw atw @ 18psi at the woks hub dyno. The Auto salons main line dyno comp was a good example of mods against tuning. Orange GC8 with motec,greddy turbo + reverse manifold = mid 160 odd kw compared to my GC8 with link and VF turbo = just under 190 odd kw.

proof is in the pudding
Old 07-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby99
I'll take you for a drive TJ ..... see what u think of links then when tuned properly. We'll have a good chat on the way about them too about what 0 trouble ive had with it.

Im a big believer in it comes down to the turner. Sean tuned my car to a nice 207kw atw @ 18psi at the woks hub dyno. The Auto salons main line dyno comp was a good example of mods against tuning. Orange GC8 with motec,greddy turbo + reverse manifold = mid 160 odd kw compared to my GC8 with link and VF turbo = just under 190 odd kw.

proof is in the pudding

its not just the power output that is the key its the area under the curve... The old links are terrible when it comes to off boost and idling and they therefore have to be tuned fairly rich. which makes them a real pig to drive.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Tino's a smart cookie, but yes Tristan, definitely keen for a drive. I'm always keen to be proved wrong

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-09-2006, 01:41 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Tino & TJ,

Links idle fine.. full stop.

Reason most of them idle like shit is because tuners have either taken shortcuts and not setup the correct zones (tuners are only human). Easiest way to get it to idle right is to dump fuel.. simple.. effective.. but not the right way to go about it (IMHO)

Link's have cold start, warm start and also enrichen's crank with a delay..

If you setup the correct values in each field.. it idles pretty darn good for a budget ECU.

I've seen a few motecs not even idle right.. and some even reach 10.9 AFR's on warm.. Seen a few motec's even stall and cut out during cold start...

Now i wont pipe up about which ecu's better.... but simple fact is that you can't expect a workshop to spend say 3 hours on idle.. unless you wanna pay for it.. Majority of people dont wanna hear from the workshop that they spent 3hrs on getting idle & crank (cold and warm start) right and say 45 minutes to getting a power run.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

I fixed my own idle setup... got it totally stable at 700rpm cold or hot... just have to play with the fuel zones and the overrun setting... if that is too much the cars idle will drop super slowly when u take foot off the power and put clutch in ..... but if its too little it will drop too fast and go to like 400rpm or stall and then creep up to your idel of 700-900.

You can adjust the cold start extra fuel setting and the volts extra electrical load extra fuel setting when the car has just started... on the hand controller zoom up to volts and whack it to like 20-25. (helps car idel when aircon is on and stezza etc). Also go to COLD xx'C 10 and adjust it upwards to increase the cold start.... then save the settings.

Worked perfectly on mine.

Tags
ecu, fans, link