Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bram
  • 1 Post By Bram

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 12:11 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Leeroy at standard level
Default Odd electric window fault

I’ve searched every combination of words I could think of but unable to find anyone with same problem, I’d hoped someone else may have had it and solved it previously.

Ok I have 2011 WRX that I bought new. I can count on two hands the number of times anyone has ever sat in the back, so the rear windows have rarely been used.

With both the rears, if they haven’t been used for a couple of weeks, they don’t work at all. I have to hold the button down every time I drive it for days, and sooner or later, out of the blue one will suddenly work, then eventually the other will too.

I then have to wind both down (even just an inch or two) and back up every couple of days to keep them working.

Just now the driver’s rear is fine, passenger side not working. If I persist it will eventually come good, until next time I don’t wind it down and up for a couple of weeks.

I know that sounds odd but it drives me nuts, if anyone has any ideas I’m all ears and appreciate the help.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:44 AM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

I think you'll find it'll be the window switches in the doors.

I've gone through a number of them in my GC8 and I can't be arsed replacing them any more.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Give them a squirt with electrical contact cleaner, I have seen this work before. If it doesn't then yeah give up and go have a beer...
Old 12-02-2018, 03:48 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

It sounds like you need to use the rear switchs from time to time. But the rear ones at the back doors, not the switch for the rears thats at the main switch.

The window circuit for all passenger windows (all but drivers window) goes through both main and passenger switch in series. And it has 2 sets of normally closed contacts and 2 sets of normally open contacts at EACH switch, for EACH window circuit. Thats a whole lot of individual contacts that all must be working for each window to work properly. If one plays up then you lose functionality because they are all in series.

What it sounds like is happening, is you are getting a crusty contact at some of the unused switchs. Purely from them not being used frequently. They sit there for years at a time and the contact surface gets a bit crusty and doesnt always properly complete the circuit. If the switch was being used from time to time, then the use would keep the contact surface fresh and clean.

I used to see this ALOT on old cars hazard switch. They car would go years and years without the hazard lights ever being turned on. Then one day the car would break down and the owner would use the hazard switch (which would usually work fine) But then afterwards, the indicators wouldnt work (because the indicator circuit goes through the hazard switch on most vehicles). All i used to do was switch the hazard switch on and off about a dozen times and it would be good for another 5-10 years.
ZiN likes this.
Leeroy (13-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:00 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
All i used to do was switch the hazard switch on and off about a dozen times and it would be good for another 5-10 years.

I might try this with my window switches! I never thought of doing this!!
Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 PM
STI Master

MY00GC8 at standard level

Have seen window motors jam up if not used often enough, give the door trim a good thump with your hand and see if it works afterwards, if it does id say that's your problem
The Following User Says Thank You to MY00GC8 For This Useful Post:
Leeroy (13-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY00GC8 View Post
Have seen window motors jam up if not used often enough, give the door trim a good thump with your hand and see if it works afterwards, if it does id say that's your problem
Yeah. Seen that aswell. Good suggestion
MY00GC8 likes this.
Old 13-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Leeroy at standard level

Thanks very much for the suggestions gents, very much appreciated.

I’ll give the contact cleaner a go in all the switches. When it happens they don’t operate on main switch or door switch, which was why I was a bit apprehensive about switches being at fault.

I’ll also get in to the habit of using the rear door switches occasionally too.

The rear passenger side started working again yesterday, I held the button down most of the way to work and out of the blue it suddenly worked, which is how it usually happens.

I had previously tried whacking the door trims but that hadn’t worked.

As long as I remember to wind them down and up once or twice a week it stays good

I’ll do the contact cleaner thing on the weekend regardless, and fingers crossed.

I do agree with dodgy switches in previous models, I had an STi bugeye previously and I had to replace window switches twice.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited by Leeroy; 13-02-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tags
electric, fault, odd, window