Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion > Insurance Experiences
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Sir AntiLag

ITGRIPS at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT
I have heard that coilovers are illegal so i was wondering what your insurance would say if you had a crash (being your fault) even though it had nothing to do with the fact you have coilovers. Say you run up the back of someone because they slam the brakes on and you where too close. Can they say," ah your car wasnt road worthy so therefore your insurance is void. Pay for that new beamers repairs yourself".

Cheers

Russ
im under the impression that they can void your policy if your vehicle does not comply with current ADRs, has illegal/undeclared parts/mods, regardless of wether it had any effect on the crash or not.

id declare, easier to do that than risk being unisurered, plus if you have insurance and they don't pay up its not only the cost of the cars ( yours plus whatever you hit ) but also the $$ you've paid over the years for the policy which can up up to quiet a few thousand dollars

Last edited by ITGRIPS; 14-07-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ewrxion87 at standard level

bump - just to clarify on this

has anyone been able to confirm - to this current date if coilovers are legal or illegal ? regardless if insurance covers you or not - more towards police /pits side of things

P-West TMIC / ecutek / HF CAI / Turbosmart / Apexi / Federal / 19psi / bc racing & whiteline / Perrin Performance / Rays
Old 22-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Plenty of people have been over the pits with coilovers.. it comes down to them not being too stiff or set too low.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

I have every mod on my car including coil-overs listed on my insurance policy that have no issue with them as long as I maintain a legal ride height

Sent from da iPhone using Tapa on someone's unsecured wifi
Old 22-04-2012, 09:27 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

XT_for_me at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewrxion87 View Post
bump - just to clarify on this

has anyone been able to confirm - to this current date if coilovers are legal or illegal ? regardless if insurance covers you or not - more towards police /pits side of things
In WA modification to suspension (like fitting coilovers) requires approval from the Dept. of Infrastructure and Transport. (Read here: Modify a vehicle ) However this basically says that all modification should comply with ADR's and under the ADR suspension modifications (for passenger vehicles) are dealt with in Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._2011%20v3.pdf This is an interesting read (or not) but section 4.4 seems to be the relevant part. This states that "Replacement shock absorbers (including struts and strut inserts) may be used provided that they have been manufactured as replacement units for the particular vehicle model and have compatible mountings and dimensions."

It's all very confusing but if you apply for a modification permit and use coilovers designed for that vehicle then you should not have an issue.

After that we all need a Guinness

Because STOPPING is never optional.

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/kido-racing/

www.kido-racing.com.au
Old 23-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I've never understood what the difference between a 'coilover' and the factory spring coil over a strut (wait... coil-over!) is for legallity.

As per above, ADR's are mainly concerned for height and major things like when you change from a leaf spring to a coilover.
From the above National Standard:

Quote:
1.1 BASIC MODIFICATIONS NOT REQUIRING CERTIFICATION
The following modifications may be performed without certification if they are carried out in
accordance with sub-section 2 General Requirements and the total change in vehicle height
resulting from all modifications performed, does not exceed 50mm.
Note: In NSW, although vehicles whose height has been changed up to 50mm do not
require certification by an engineering signatory, the registration authority must be
notified of the modification.
 Tyre and rim substitution carried out within the limits specified in this Section;
 Lowering and raising suspensions (by not more than one third of the original
suspension travel provided the original vehicle height is not increased or decreased by
more than 50mm);

 Raising the vehicle with a body lift kit provided the original vehicle height is not
increased by more than 50mm (refer to sub-section 4.11 for conditions and limitations);
 Shock absorber substitution;
 Spring and sway bar substitution;
 Track rod and strut brace installation;
 Steering wheel substitution (refer to sub-section 4.9 of this Section); and
 Power steering (manufacturer’s option) conversion.
So changing the shocks and springs are allowed.

Quote:
4.4 SHOCK ABSORBERS
Replacement shock absorbers (including struts and strut inserts) may be used provided that they have been manufactured as replacement units for the particular vehicle model and have compatible mountings and dimensions.
i.e. You can't go and chop you mounts up to fit Commodore suspension to your Subaru.

However, I am no automotive engineer, so if in doubt call you insurer or DPI to confirm.
Old 23-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

I was told this by an insurance company employee - The only way coilovers could/would cause the denial of an insurance claim is if they were found to be the direct cause of an accident.

I.E you welded up a mount to make them fit when they shouldnt, it broke, and it speared the car into a wall.
miss_petepie likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

Yep what TJ said and mine is listed under Shannons as well plus a host of other mods
Old 23-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Onerex at standard level

My car is issured with shannons and it list coil overs as well as other mods on the policy. Just be honest when getting a quote.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
I was told this by an insurance company employee - The only way coilovers could/would cause the denial of an insurance claim is if they were found to be the direct cause of an accident.

I.E you welded up a mount to make them fit when they shouldnt, it broke, and it speared the car into a wall.
What about if a reputable* company used a tek screw to hold on your brake lines?

Tags
coilovers, insurance, voiding