Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru
Talking MY08 Liberty GT - Dump pipe installed

Gday all,

Finally got my Phat Performance Parts Dump Pipe Version 2 (PPP DP) installed and well . . . it now pulls like a freight train. The PPP DP was 3" mandrel bent mild steel with ceramic coating inside and out. It also has a large bell mouth with splitter for the waste-gate. Got it installed by Mettams in Morley (a bit of a drive) and Pat was a great help. All went without any fuss and in no time at all. The pipe was well accepted by the Mettam's boys and the fit was a "breeze" in comparison to "other dump pipes" that they had fitted. Essentially, another vote for Phat's exceptional work in making sure his dump pipes are the correct fit for our AUDM cars. Currently, the PPP DP is attached with the 2 1/2" OEM centre and OEM GT mufflers. The PPP DP have a 3" piece to replace the 2 1/2" outlet if a 3" system is installed. This easy swap with only two bolts was a big plus for me.

I did do an ECU reset immediately after the install and drove the car home - what a drive it was. The increased spooling response is obvious as is the increased flow. Having to get used to all kind of new noises but none are obtrusive. Induction noise is greater, the OEM BOV is obvious now but the in cabin sound with windows up is a negligible increase. Most wouldn't notice.

Previous boost maximums were in the 14.8-15.1 range. Now , the highest I have logged is 16.24 psi. No "spikes" yet. So, approx 1.2 PSI increase or 8% and that 8% seems to be translating into Kw by the bum dyno.

I drove home and the ambient air temp was approx 24-25 degree C. When I finally caught up with my girl and took her for a drive it was night and closer to 14 degree c. A scary moment for me was when we went for a run there was many moments of massive air rushing sounds with a noticeable decrease in boost. Initially I was wondering if I had popped a post turbo gasket or hose. I believe I have worked it out to being the waste-gate opening. The "air rush" noise was very loud and something I never noticed previous to the PPP DP. I have put it down to the ECU managing the much colder air leading to much higher boost and a just reset ECU to gate out aggressively. The gating sound is now able to be heard via the HUGE splitter section of the PPP DP in comparison to the flat section on the OEM DP. Regardless, was a very new sound and initially had me preturbed. This morning I went and logged again with 16.1 Psi max. Opinions please.

All in all - a great mod. Very happy I waited and got the PPP DP. Would I buy it again - a big YES. Now I'm looking forward to a Verso tune to extract some more torques and neddies from the engine.

PS - Phat is a member of Liberty ASN forum based in Sydney who makes and imports various parts for Liberty/Legacy vehicles. Well worth a chat to if your trying to source parts for those vehicles.

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 08-05-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

grumpyrex at standard level

Well done Andrew. Whens the Verso getting done?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Wink

As soon as funds allow mate. Hopefully within the month.

I'm starting to think passing you is going to be a hell of a lot easier - new Sti or not

It's funny you know, was so used to your bug eye, gonna take a while to get used to you in the new one.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

grumpyrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
As soon as funds allow mate. Hopefully within the month.

I'm starting to think passing you is going to be a hell of a lot easier - new Sti or not

It's funny you know, was so used to your bug eye, gonna take a while to get used to you in the new one.
I don't know if it's going to be that that much easier to pass . I thought the bug was reasonably quick but this ones definately got extra.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 AM

Well as time has gone on the ECU seems to be reigning in the boost pressure. Day 2 had max boost back at the previous 15 Psi odd. Is this normal behaviour ?

Personally, I was happier with the extra boost levels.

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 09-05-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 AM
STI Master

SKYHIONPSI at standard level

I would say after the ECU reset, it is just all part of it's new learning curve and adjusting to the extra flow of the dump. Best results will always be with a Verso tune, but the reset ecu is good enough for now.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Pretty normal. The ecu will adapt the physical changes and 'learn' a variation to bring it back to within factory tolerances.

The reflash will make a noticeable change and keep it there
Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Update guys, the tank has lost 20% for 37 Km ! ?????

Has it gone into some "fail safe" mode?

I was expecting an increase in fuel consumption BUT ...

Should I reset again ???
Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM

BUMP - worried
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Sir AntiLag

1jnrwrx at standard level

Hope you get this sorted Andrew and its not a Issue.
GTB Liberty (09-10-2012)

Tags
dp, gt, liberty, spec