Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

05wgn at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_OwNeD
go to midland, they arent too busy and they aint too bad there. though in saying that, the guys that do the inspections tend to swap centres from time to time. welcome and good luck with the car
I got done for a noisy BOV...mine was full atmospheric though
This nice traffic officer did say that if i could make it "seem" close to silent he would let me off. Its the noise that is alarming and distracting he said is why you cant have them...hinting that "some" are adjustable and "read between the lines". No noise=No work order.
The traffic cop also tested my tint saying if it was "close" he would let me off too. Did I mention this guy was nice ... and explained EVERYTHING to me? Rare huh? All the different mods i could do and how much i could lower the car and how it would change the handling (also telling me not to chop springs and to go to Wilkinsons for a "proper" job).
Fitted factory BOV, went to Midland with advice from Tenagah. Midland pits test drove the car, went over the whole thing, asked a few questions, tested my tint and I was outta there. They said NOTHING about my full 3" system or Apexi Pod kit!!!

Pulled over 3.5 weeks later by D***Head motorcycle cop for noisy exhaust and tint. Flat out said i was lying about having my car in the pits, took PHOTOS of my car for EVIDENCE (WTF!!!). Also told me he would look for me again to make sure I hadnt refitted parts. Got to midland, they recognised me and told me to get money back for mod permit and pit fee. They wrote a formal complaint via email to the warwick traffic cop. They got even more pissed when I told them about the photos. Aparently this guys NEEDS evidence cos people take him to court and his integrity is in question.

They signed and dated my work order and told me to keep it in the car.

sorry about the novel.
Old 15-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Sir AntiLag

scooby99 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to scooby99

Hahahaha ......... best reason given to me for yellow sticker " your tyres are illegal because your car is too low" ehh WTF!!!!!

in saying that permits are a must, shuts any "officer" right up when you can produce a document (best laminated too) that states that all mods have been passed and approved.
Old 15-02-2006, 02:16 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

heh, wonder if that 'nice' cop drives a legacy
Old 15-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

BOVs do NOT have to be silent, I've passed the pits heaps of times with my BOV, and I even have a permit for mine which says it has to be "quiet" in operation IE NOT silent, just quiet.

This got me into hot water once with a cop who misinterpreted my permit and gave me a sticker anyway because he read "quiet" as making no noise at all. I got out of the sticker after a whole bunch of arguing at the police station, but nonetheless it was a pain in the arse.
Old 15-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Jr_008

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby99
Hahahaha ......... best reason given to me for yellow sticker " your tyres are illegal because your car is too low" ehh WTF!!!!!

in saying that permits are a must, shuts any "officer" right up when you can produce a document (best laminated too) that states that all mods have been passed and approved.
Excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that if you get “permits” for BOV, Pod filters and other mods your ok if pulled over? Or can you only get permits for some modifications?
Old 15-02-2006, 08:52 AM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level

Joe at the moment it seems it comes down to what the vehicle inspector states, i.e. silent, but surely they must simply abide by the same dB rule that applies to vehicle exhaust noise?
Old 15-02-2006, 08:53 AM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that if you get “permits” for BOV, Pod filters and other mods your ok if pulled over? Or can you only get permits for some modifications?
Unfortunately your never "ok" as its upto the officer as to whether he/she thinks your car is roadworthy. A few friends have had permits in there glovebox from passing the pits few days earlier..... and been given another yellow because " i dont believe that they are real documents"

$45 for pit pass, dickhead pit guy, $260 worth of 'more' things to do....
Old 15-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakks
but surely they must simply abide by the same dB rule that applies to vehicle exhaust noise?
Any smart person would assume this Paul, but the idiots always seem to dispute it...its like the permits dont actually mean anything!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [W ARGHH X
]Unfortunately your never "ok" as its upto the officer as to whether he/she thinks your car is roadworthy.
Absolutely correct. You can have all the permits and certificates in the world, and you'll still get a yellow sticker because the cop is having a bad day.
Old 15-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Jr_008

Couple of my mates are cops and they reckon they went through sweet F*&% all training in regards to determining whether a car is street legal or not, apart from being able to pick a car with only three wheels!!

Sounds like playing the “yellow stickers game” is the vein of your lives.
Old 15-02-2006, 09:19 AM

Thats right...cops arent actually trained to have the skill to know whats exactly wrong with a car, thats what the inspectors at the pits are trained to do.

So if they suspect something is wrong (and in most cases its pretty damn obvious IE bald tyres, suspension, tints, etc), they'll issue a work order so someone who knows what they are looking for, can go over your car.

Some cops know whats goin on because they are car enthusiasts, but some have no fucking idea, and they'll sticker you for stupid things.