Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 07:28 PM
STI Master

MattuZ at standard level
Send a message via MSN to MattuZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgx View Post
thanks for the advise guys also wanted to know is it worth putting a K&N 57i Induction kit?
nope
Old 27-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Avalanche at standard level

Welcome mate. Don't worry about people giving you grief about spelling.
Old 27-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Honestly, i came from a 2.5 rs impreza, dont put a scoop on. Doesnt do the car any justice.

Invest in some wrx 17s & some lowering. Muuuuuuch better idea!
Old 27-10-2011, 10:00 PM
STI Master

98kellrs at standard level

Welcome! Ignore all the grammar nazi's on here, they get excited by fresh meat. (You should see the leghumping when a chick introduces herself...)

First things first, if it's your first car then the absolute best thing you can spend your money on is some driver training/skidpan/trackday. Not only is it awesome fun, it will make you a smoother, faster and better driver. There are many such events organised every few weeks on this very forum so check out the events section and get involved!

Failing that you can do the same thing that most people do and mod the shit out of it, drive it badly and then put up a thread asking how to fix it when you crash.

Most importantly, use the search bar. There's heaps of information on here, and a simple one-word search will answer all your questions.
Old 27-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Hey mate, I am one of a few here who started out with an Impreza before moving up to a WRX. Just do a couple of things to it, but save your pennies for a WRX. Eventually you'll want one...

Enjoy the forums
Old 27-10-2011, 11:11 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgx View Post
thanks for the advise guys also wanted to know is it worth putting a K&N 57i Induction kit?
Induction kits are probably only good for making noise and a bit of under-bonnet bling (if you do go down this route, make sure it's secure!), although it is pretty fun tinkering with stuff like that for the experience. A good filter panel in the stock set-up would do just as well as a CAI or similar as far as performance goes though.

The non-turbo engines have been pretty much left in the dust as far as power-adding parts go... everything's made for the turbo engines, bar some parts for the 2.5L thanks to the 2.5RS in the US. Investing in some handling mods may be worth your while, however... a good set of tyres, stiffer springs (WRX springs fit GX struts, so plenty of options), shock absorbers, even coilovers would net you a noticeable improvement in the car. Stuff like this can be good if you plan on dropping a turbo engine in later on so your car can handle any power increase, or if you swap to a WRX (as the parts can usually just bolt straight over). Also very good if you plan on doing track work or want something that's responsive through the corners for day-to-day driving.

Another thing to consider is brakes. Not sure what spec brakes the '01-'02 GX had, but I quickly turfed the single piston fronts and drum rears on mine for a WRX 4 piston front/single piston rear set-up. Not saying the standard brakes are inadequate, but it's nice to have the extra potential there should the need arise.

It all comes down to where you want to go with the car though. If you're after a car that you can do small DIY projects on, then there are endless options you can decide on, just like if you wanted to turn it into a rolling nightclub or a track monster. And if you can see past the 'sell it and buy a WRX comments', the forum should have most of the answers you'd ever need to get on your way if you get stuck.

(and yay for a 4 paragraph response to a 2 sentence line... I may have overdone it )
Old 27-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Sir AntiLag

N1GHTH4WK92 at standard level

Welcome mate. As Patch suggested, if you choose to modify a non turbo version, you should choose modifications that can be easily taken off and put into your turbo WRX if you choose to buy one, such as coilovers, brakes etc.

I personally wouldn't put a scoop on there due to a lot of people changing a mindset straight to 'that is one slow WRX' when they see it, not realizing it is non turbo. If you still want to do it, fuck the haters.
Old 29-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Scoobie Noobie

andrewgx at standard level

yeah thanks alot guys yeah i think i'll go that way into things putting coilovers and things so later wen ill have the time and money ill dorp a wrx engine in.

Tags
gx, subaru