Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA

also, 260 odd kw with standard cams????

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 27-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

tez n u at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3 RA View Post
in standard form or with an aftermarket gearset in it? You've done very well running an 11 on a completely standard box...most would be nursing that 1st to 2nd change and thus slowing down the time.

i hope you have a contingency plan!
Completely standard box but mind you this is my 3rd gearbox lol, i think the oil in it helps a lot or else i dont think it would have lasted this long, i have used 3 liters of redline lightweight shock proof and 1 liter of motul gear 300 which seems to have worked magic for this box (touch wood). Also my redline is set very low around 7300rpm which creates a bit of lag between 1st and 2nd gear change which i think saves the gear box from getting the full brunt of the torque which also means the car has a better then 11.7 left in it for sure
Old 27-02-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
also, 260 odd kw with standard cams????
Yup the bigger gt turbos can push it to 260 kw on about 1.6 bar or else how do you explain the trap speed which i believe can even go higher if i give it all. Td06 before this turbo got me to about 240kw max, also the v5-6 have the biggest lift cams of the classic shape wrx's.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez n u View Post
Completely standard box but mind you this is my 3rd gearbox lol, i think the oil in it helps a lot or else i dont think it would have lasted this long, i have used 3 liters of redline lightweight shock proof and 1 liter of motul gear 300 which seems to have worked magic for this box (touch wood). Also my redline is set very low around 7300rpm which creates a bit of lag between 1st and 2nd gear change which i think saves the gear box from getting the full brunt of the torque which also means the car has a better then 11.7 left in it for sure
being gentle like that is going to slow you down. 6 speed or PPG box and drive it like you stole it may reduce the time a little further. I'm surprised you haven't done this earlier, if you're on your 3rd gearbox surely someone must have suggested you upgrade by now?

add another 40kw and you're dreaming if you think it will survive multiple passes. I doubt the choice of oil will have had any effect on the longevity of your box...

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 27-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level

Quote:
Yup the bigger gt turbos can push it to 260 kw on about 1.6 bar or else how do you explain the trap speed which i believe can even go higher if i give it all. Td06 before this turbo got me to about 240kw max, also the v5-6 have the biggest lift cams of the classic shape wrx's.
really? i was told that v3 STi RA cams were the largest factory cams fitted to GC8's and i could go no further than 312 atw hp (230ish kw). I was no where near the limit of the TD-06 i had, cams was the next step for more power...simply putting a larger turbo on would yield no gains, especially not 30-40kw gains. I'd expect those sort of gains (maybe a little more) with extensive head work 272 cams, porting etc etc

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 27-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
being gentle like that is going to slow you down. 6 speed or PPG box and drive it like you stole it may reduce the time a little further. I'm surprised you haven't done this earlier, if you're on your 3rd gearbox surely someone must have suggested you upgrade by now?

add another 40kw and you're dreaming if you think it will survive multiple passes. I doubt the choice of oil will have had any effect on the longevity of your box...
Close mate of mine is running a ra 5 speed with 317wkw and has gone down about 18 passes so far with a best of 11.4 and taking it easy.......your right about how long it will last but a ten sec pass is possible on a stock box as it has been done a few times by a couple of gc8 cars but yes the box wont last long at all. Im thinking between ppg and 6speed, the down side to the 6 speed is the ratios are not that great for drag racing.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:55 AM
STI Master

TheDoctor at standard level

Quote:
Oh hey man, are you a member on clubsub?
Yeah I am on Clubsub but not very active. I haven't posted on there in months. Keep an eye out for Mitch_nz and Ausyve they're both kiwi members too.
Old 27-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

1.8 60 footer isn't babying the box!
Old 27-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

Welcome mate!

Like how your plate surrounds says "Hello Office, put it on my tab"! LOL
Old 27-02-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
1.8 60 footer isn't babying the box!
Yup defiantly not but i dont dump the clutch, i ride it out of the hole shot also 1.6 should be doable with some good tyres. I think my 1st to 2nd gear change definitely slows me down a bit coz of the rpm limit being set a bit low giving me a bit of lag between 1st and 2nd gear change.

Tags
member, nz