Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b32 View Post
Need to do something about that.
You have a few choices here.
  • coilovers (many brands to choose from)
  • firmer springs & stock shocks
  • firmer springs and upgraded struts (e.g. Gtworx/Bilstein)

Possibly will be a few more suggestions from others.

Don't forget to get some upgraded sway bars as well
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level

It's your lucky day!

We have the same car and potentially the same wheels, so I've already done the homework for you

GTWorx Bilstein/RCE Yellow Strut Spring Combo
Sway Bars F&R
Endlinks F&R
0 Toe -2.5 Camber
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
Whiteline KBR Rear Braces

=
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Sir AntiLag

b32 at standard level

Soksta did i read somewhere you used to have coilovers? Why the change? Or was that another car?

Why did you guys decide to go the RCE bilstein struts and springs rather than coilovers?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level

I remember the very first time I looked into this I went to see John and the boys down at Wheels World. They said to me that regardless of what you do, you get what you pay for. They recommended me something like this before going and buying a cheap set of coilovers.

If your going to go and race your car and go to track days and skid pans all the time and it's not really a daily driven car.. go ahead and buy coilovers. A good quality set of coilovers to last you through the above is going to cost you an arm and a leg. You'll be able to adjust the car day in day out and have it just the way you like it when your out hammering your car around around the track. I still believe that most people still just set their coilovers upon installation and never touch them again so your paying for adjustability that you never touch.

Either that or if you want to dump your car on it's ass, go ahead and buy coilovers. There are several cheaper options on here available.

So we seem to be buying coilovers for a firmer ride but then we set it on medium/soft so that it's more comfortable? The ride can be seen as harsh if your driving it all the time even on soft but everyone has different ideas on what comfortable is. I've sat in some of these cheaper coilovers on soft and I couldn't walk after getting out of the car, and that was just a quick ride in the passengers seat.

The reason why I'm looking at the bilstein combination is simple, I daily drive my car more than I take it to the track so I want the performance without the discomfort. I'm going to install 18" wheels at some point but I'm not going to drop it on it's arse when I do either. 15 - 20mm is plenty for me. I need to be able to go over speed bumps and not worry about losing my front lip in the process. With sway bars and whiteline gear combined with this setup, I will still be able to take it to the track and skid pans a few times a year and the car will still handle well.. and once I do, I don't have to worry about possibly having to rebuild my suspension.

The biggest thing for me though is that at the end of the day, this suspension was built, designed and tested specifically for our model car. It's not an off the shelf solution where one unit fits all. It's not the cheapest option and you can probably buy a cheaper coilover but Myles and the guys at Bilstein spent a long time coming up with this solution for our cars.

If you head over to NASIOC, plenty of guys have them over there and I don't think you'll find anyone having a bad word to say about them at all. In fact you'll find people have gone from having a cheap coilover to this setup. In a time where people want more value for their money, that has to say something for the quality of this product.
iMPREZUH and b32 like this.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Sir AntiLag

b32 at standard level

I think you may have sold me. Im after the same end results as you by the sounds of it.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Essentially my reply is going is this, +1 to what Jon and Clem have stated.

I had a set of coilovers in my car for 18000km and I must admit, I loved them to death.
They were responsive on the skid pan and made the car handle like it should have from day one.
Unfortunately for me it came down to a lot of noise from one of the front coilovers (the risk of going to pillow ball top mounts) and some of the roads I have to drive over (even on the lowest dampening setting) were incredibly bouncy and uncomfortable.

Tags
hatch, my12, wrx