Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Gordon91 at standard level
Red face From foz to wrx .

Hey guys and gals . Just recently bought an 02 bugeye wrx. Every car I've owned has been a Subaru , first was an 86 L series wagon . Then an 02 forester , another 01 foz and now a wrx . Can't be happier with the car . I'm completely new to the turbo side of things . I am familiar with the bullet proof boxer though. My car is completely unmolested , stock exhaust and even the head unit is stock . I like it quiet , let's me hear the tick of the engine . Its a sedona red pearl colour , with only 60 thousand on the clock .

I will be looking at some minor mods , to give it a little more zip , but like I said . I want it quiet . I'll ask about those on the forums if my searchs don't turn anything up..

Quick question though ... Im new to all the boost and turbo side of things . Did a quick search , but didn't know which words to use . When I'm hitting boost in the lower gears and put the clutch in to change up it RPMs do a jump of about 500. Is this normal ? didn't quite know how to word it in the search so you're just going to shake your head at the newbie . Also im down in Busselton most of the time .so don't be afraid to say gday .
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
STI Master

Tiigga at standard level

Welcome the world of Pwrx.. and the wrx's

Nice pick up with the wrx looking clean and tidy
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

If you want to keep things quiet while getting more power out, get a TurboXS stealthback and then couple it with either the stock diff back or STI diff back followed by a tune. You should get about 20-30 more hp. I have this setup with the STI diff back and it sounds stock...so much so that sometimes I wished I have a 4" cannon at the back for more sound :P
Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Nice pickup.

Keeping a stock exhaust will ultimatly restrict how many kws you can/cant make.

Maybe invest in handling mods (lowered springs, coilovers, swaybars etc etc) these will increase grip with little to no increase in NVH inside the car.

If more power is wanted, maybe look at good quality jasma rated exhausts. these flow more efficently but wont be epically loud.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

vOoie at standard level

Welcome! Nice and clean pickup.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Thanks for all the quick replies. I did a bit of searching and came to the same conclusion . Exhaust with a tune . Not aiming for high kw but responsiveness and torque would be nice only reason I want to keep the exhaust is because it looks brand new . And I like quiet . So you're saying the muffler needs to go as well ? I was looking at mrt power kit ... not buying it but something to give me a rough idea of what to upgrade Uhm any takers on the rpm bouncing around as I mentioned in the OP ? Thanks scubies!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
STI Master

SKYHIONPSI at standard level

Hi Gordon

Welcome.

For a quiet exhaust, i'd advise for just a 3" dump pipe to mate up to the standard cat-back exhaust. Like you say, the exhaust still looks new and you'd like to keep it. THis will give you slightly more power yet still retain a sedate sound and not so much "look at me" type noise.

Secondly, get an ECU tune from one of the reputable workshops in the workshops sticky thread. Have a good search or head over to the ECU discussion thread. An ECU tune coupled with the down pipe i recommended above should give the gains you are looking for.

Thirdly, the "stickiness" you describe sounds like the accelerator cable getting suck somewhere along its route from pedal to throttle body. If you can trace it yourself and check its not rubbing on anything that would be your best bet. Failing that, take it to one of the workshops in the workshop thread for a professional diagnosis. Internet diagnosis is always hard.

Enjoy.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Thanks skyhionpsi , and above posters . I found a few posts about a cat converter before the turbo as well .. Thoughts ? Thanks for all the good advice . will check what you said about the throttle cable . I've only seen one other wrx my colour around ... They weren't limited or anything were they ?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:52 PM
STI Master

SKYHIONPSI at standard level

No problems.

Yes i believe there is a cat in the up-pipe (pre-turbo) on the bug eye model. It would also be advisable to switch to a cat-less up-pipe in addition the the things i mentioned previously.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Just go 3" TBE. Surely you're not 80? You will love it!

http://kap.industries/

Tags
fan, foz, subie, wrx