Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Bradw at standard level
Default 2008, fat ,Betty

Hey guy and girls

I have had a sti for about 6 months now and although I am very happy with its performance I'm sure she has a lot more too give.. I would appreciate some feed back both positive and negative from any other members on their experiences and some recommendations on what types of mod's to use and which tune is best and where they think I should get the works done.. I am itching too get started and all comments and recommendations will considered before I commence ... I am more than happy too share my opinions and exsperance with other members both throughout the process and at the completion of the works.. Thanks Brad.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Zorst, sway bars, tune, prosper.
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Master D knows their stuff

Put some 205 tyres on 10.5" rims. You'll make females want to be around you with the stretch.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

These are experience:
first of all, compression test, have a few people bought used betty, only to found a blown piston ring not long after.

if result is ok, get air/oil seperator, best tbe u can afford, cai, a tune, and use 40+ weight oil,

then short shifter KIT, swaybars(front should be thicker), brake pads(project mu/endless, or evenfront rotor), better tyres(advan ad08, dirreza z2, pilot super sport), coilover(rear spring rate need to be 2kgmm less than front, hatch's rear is much lighter than front), rool centre kit, h-brace

finally wheel alignment.
Serbaru and shazza like this.

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport

Last edited by s20525xxx; 02-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM
STI Master

Serbaru at standard level

Exhaust, intake, tune <----- Great starting point.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Welcome.

Plenty of build threads with the information you are looking for.
Handling > Breaking > Power is always a good guide when it comes to modifying cars.

Don't forget about the smaller things (i.e. bushings) as they can make a huge difference for a small(er) cost.

Best mod you can do is to get the car on the skid pan at the RAC Driving Centre near the airport, will let you learn how the car really handles before you push it hard.
s20525xxx likes this.

Last edited by Soksta; 02-06-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Bradw at standard level
Default 2008,fat,Betty

Thanks for your comments guys
I have read a few threads on the problem with piston ring falure and was warned about it by maximum Motorsport ... My car is always run on BP ultimate 98 and I am using castrol edge titanium 5W-30 a3/b4
So far so good No knocking noises , loss of power or smoke etc.. My plan was a cold air intake , exhaust , and tune... The car already has a after market exhaust on it but doesn't really have that deep throaty tone yet... I suspect is some form of tuned by sti exhaust ... or similar provided by the dealer
Can anybody suggest a workshop that where happy with and what kind of costs I would be up for and what kind of power gain I can espect and if there is any significate difference between verso and ekutek ?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Tyres - AD08's - massive increase in grip - small increase in NVH.
Brakes - (search button) as there are shitloads to choose from.
I've chosen QFM-A1RM's for my next pad as my OEM's will probably only last one maybe two more events.
Rotors - BDA T34000 are waiting to go on when stockers give up.
Suspension - so much to choose from, I have KWV3's and while I am happy with them even this level/quality of coilover will increase NVH in the car.

Just remember almost anything you change on your car to make it tougher/track worthy will increase NVH and detract from the original product.
To be honest ( probably get flamed for this one ) but if I had my time again I probably would install good lowering springs or a strut/spring combo before coilovers. Much cheaper and probably similar results.
If you plan on tracking the car do that first and then decide what you want to change from there.
If your not racing the car the OEM stuff is fine.
As already mentioned start with handling/stopping as Betty's are fat heavy porkies.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradw View Post
Thanks for your comments guys
I have read a few threads on the problem with piston ring falure and was warned about it by maximum Motorsport ... My car is always run on BP ultimate 98 and I am using castrol edge titanium 5W-30 a3/b4
So far so good No knocking noises , loss of power or smoke etc.. My plan was a cold air intake , exhaust , and tune... The car already has a after market exhaust on it but doesn't really have that deep throaty tone yet... I suspect is some form of tuned by sti exhaust ... or similar provided by the dealer
Can anybody suggest a workshop that where happy with and what kind of costs I would be up for and what kind of power gain I can espect and if there is any significate difference between verso and ekutek ?
Haha MMS talked me out of getting a tune because of CHOCOLATE PISTONS they said it's not worth it unless you plan on forging the motor properly.
ASG told me not to expect more than 25kw increase even with TBE and they basically turned me away??? This was only a couple of months ago by the way.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Bradw at standard level

I don't understand that either ! It's like all of the 2008s out must have had the internals done prior too the tune.. I find that had to believe
Do you know of any others members that have the tune on a 2008 ? Would like to hear their comments and thoughts
Surely there is some positive feedback out there somewhere ?

Tags
2008, betty, fat