Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Scoobie Noobie

unkn0wn at standard level
Default 92 Liberty Farm Hack

Hi Guys,

Thought it was about time to do an introduction, I'm Christian and i've allways been pretty Nissan orientated. I have a Navara as my daily and 180sx that i used to drift, but now its in "project mode".

I'm over here now because I have a Subaru, well technically I have two, but one is dead, rusting away at a farm.
The reason its at a farm is because myself and and some close friends have built a race track, or two on a mates parents farm.

If you want to know more about that, hit-up bimbadeen racing's facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/BimbadeenRacing

if you want to waste away your time watching videos on-line, check the bimbadeen videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/turaelftw

Anyway, recently I picked up another liberty with the intention of taking it to the farm. Our next weekender is Australia day 2015, so I have a short period of time to make it awesome.

Its a 92 sedan with an ej20t from a RS.
A air to air intercooler from the v1-2 Wrx's
A WRX gearbox, with 4.44 ratio diff's
3 inch turbo back exhaust

Since getting it, i've decided to convert to 15's as its easier to get the rally tyres. Slowly collecting rims and tyres for it.

I also picked up a Jap spec roll-cage for it, for a bit of safety.
Its still not mounted as i needed to test fit it to find out what im going to do about the now missing sunroof. Had to take the sunroof out because the cage would not fit + I'm tall and I don't like hitting my head on the roof.

It had WRX rear seats, that have been removed.
Had a forester? drivers seat and no passenger seat (owner kept the wrx seats)
I have a passenger seat from my dead liberty, but I think it would be nice to put some bucket seats in it.

I have also fitted a water temp and boost gauge into the area where the vents were next to the dash, along with a push button start. In that area i will add a fan indicator light and properly a FAN over ride switch.

I have plans to fit a surge tank for the fuel system, water sprayer for the intercooler and if there is time give it a rough paint job before taking it out to the farm for a shake-down.

Anyway here are some pics, feel free to comment on how bad/awesome you think it is.

nick73 and Dan [GTI] like this.

Last edited by unkn0wn; 02-11-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:15 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

illrhymes at standard level

Great project mate! Whatever you do with the sunroof, DO NOT damage the glass. They're rare as rockinghorse shit and sell for good money if you choose to move it on
Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illrhymes View Post
Great project mate! Whatever you do with the sunroof, DO NOT damage the glass. They're rare as rockinghorse shit and sell for good money if you choose to move it on
Cheers,
yeah i was unsure if they were worth anything,
i put it up on gumtree for $200, just a random stab in the dark at price cause there not much FS now to base price on.

Going to cost nearly a hundred in materials etc,just to replace it with blacked out acrylic. i did'nt realise acrylic was worth so much.

Last edited by unkn0wn; 02-11-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

@illrhymes it's your old sunroof. Has a small crack and been wrapped over with black vinyl.

I owned this car. Spent a fair few hours fixing dodgy shit on it and sold it around Easter to a guy in Collie. He wanted the Wrx 17s it had and the STI interior. He sold it a week or two later to Taymen in Duncraig who I assume you bought it off?

Pity to see Taymen didn't finish it off, he put a bunch of time and effort into it as well. Should be awesome for your purposes though, motor seemed pretty right when I had it.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Yeah that's the guy I got it off, sounded like he got pretty close to re-licencing it but ran out of cash.
He took the W2A cooler of it, put a v1-2 A-A cooler on it the day i went to look. After he did the change it had constant high idle and engine check light....but it would go away as soon as the car was on boost....i took his word that it was fine before and bought it...it seemed to go pretty hard on the drive home, but I haven't driven it since.

The error is Idle control and AFM, in the last play i had with it i replace alot of crappy vac lines and the breather lines..one of which had big crack in it.
I went to put the IC back on to see if fixing the lines fixed the error, but the IC has a crack on the turbo join and i made it worse being a subaru noob trying to put it back on.
So ive orderd a replacement joiner and when im home next im gong to change that over and hope it idles fine and has no error lights.

he did give me a brief run-down on its owners history, sounds like the old girl has had a few owners in recent times! i dare say, ill be the last owner of this....cars we take to the farm don't have a long shelf life.

cheers for the note re the sunroof, i wouldn't have known...ill take a better look at it when i get home. what is a fair price for it, given its condition?

Last edited by unkn0wn; 02-11-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

If it has AFM issues, I have a spare. For your use, I'd take the entire assembly for the sunroof out. Its bloody heavy.
I replaced it as the drain channels were rusted out. As for price, it depends on what someone will pay. I think I paid Matt about $80 for the whole assembly from memory.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Cheers for the offer, but as i wrecked my other lib i have a spare afm.

I did clean the afm, then tried the other AFM and it was the same issue.
I suspect it was pulling in un meter'd air from the PCV valve on vac and should hopefully now be resolved with the new hoses.

crap thing is waiting till i get home to test it
i want to play with it now hahaha
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

illrhymes at standard level

$80 sounds about right because the glass was cracked.

So that Tayman kid gave up in the end? He wanted some parts off me but had zero money... Said he could flog a 6 pack from his dads beer fridge to pay for em. I said yep that'll do.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

Yeah from what I gather, he bought the car, spent time and money on it straight up and then lost his job a month or two later.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 PM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

I have a set of 15" Forester rims with pirrelli rally tyres already fitted.
Shoot me a pm with an offer if you're after some.

Tags
92, farm, hack, liberty