Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 04:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Captain Awesome at standard level
Default Back into an STI

Hi PWRX,

Re-introducing myself! Some may know me as "that guy with the Evo" ... First time I joined here, I had an 07 STI, then I sold that and bought an Evo 10, now I'm back into a STI hatch (don't care if you think it's ugly, I can fit 9 bodies in my boot now.)
Will post pics eventually when I get a moment.

So far some things i've noticed, the brakes feel quite shit compared to the Evo, though I need to have a closer look - the pads may very well be low (and the rotors are obviously not DBA5000 slotted as I used to have).
The way the car handles feels very different, the Evo was might stiffer I suppose is the word to use, very touchy, the STI less so, both have their merits and positives though, I'd like to find a nice place somewhere in-between how my Evo was, and how the STI currently is.
No point comparing power because the Evo was quite modded, but from what I remember of the 2 and a half days my old car was stock for, the STI seems to perform better.

Modwise i'll probably keep this one simple, kind of over the whole spending big money on the car phase (nekt minnit cosworth rebuild, fully caged rally spec) But seriously in the near future i'm likely to put a catback on (looking at empire performance purely because it's so cheap for the quality, or invidia), few cosmetic mods like a lip and some shiny black R205 side badges, obviously some wheels (to be completely honest I'm looking at Rota or Spec R wheels, not going to drop $4k on a set of Volks again) and lastly might look at some handling improvements.

Question: Speaking of handling, can anyone familliar with STIs recommend what to go with in relation to sway bars, bushings and bracing? Haven't had much experience in this field so any help would be really appreciated! Would kind of like to stiffen the car up a bit, and make the steering more responsive.

Long term I will look at putting some coilovers on, sort a new set of rotors, new radiator and possibly a PW TMIC. Have also toyed with the idea of retrimming bits of the interior in alcantara (JPM Coachworks style). And if I can get my hands on some spec R seats and navi unit also that would make me a very happy camper.

So yeah. I'm back in an STI

Previous:
2012 Evo X - White
Parts: HKS | SSP | GARRETT | TURBOSMART | ARC | COLTSPEED | BLITZ | CAMTECH | VARIS | VOLK | CUSCO | TIEN | FORGE | FULL RACE

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 05-02-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Love the hatches. What colour is it?

http://kap.industries/
Old 04-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

Jarrod at Vison R has very well priced coil overs these days. As a rule he has good stocks.
The invidia units are now exceptional quality and fit. Can be purchased through Troy at pro speed racing direct.
Brian Wallis at Autotainment in car audio Vic park has some specials on replacement head units. You can park at the rear of his shop save paying Vic park road tax.
I have white line 24mm front sway bar & 22mm rear in mine Peter at wilkinson syspention can assist he is the whit line stockist in Perth.
Brakes, std rottors front, some slotted units on the rear. PMU club racer pads & steel braided lines from car mods Australia. Brembo fluids.
Best bang for buck mods have done were brake lines & brake booster support. Easy all tasked one car do as DIY.
TROLLEY likes this.

Last edited by seagull; 04-02-2015 at 05:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to seagull For This Useful Post:
TROLLEY (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Love the hatches. What colour is it?
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Jarrod at Vison R has very well priced coil overs these days. As a rule he has good stocks.
The invidia units are now exceptional quality and fit. Can be purchased through Troy at pro speed racing direct.
Brian Wallis at Autotainment in car audio Vic park has some specials on replacement head units. You can park at the rear of his shop save paying Vic park road tax.
I have white line 24mm front sway bar & 22mm rear in mine Peter at wilkinson syspention can assist he is the whit line stockist in Perth.
Brakes, std rottors front, some slotted units on the rear. PMU club racer pads & steel braided lines from car mods Australia. Brembo fluids.
Best bang for buck mods have done were brake lines & brake booster support. Easy all tasked one car do as DIY.
Thanks for the advice, brake booster support / master cylinder support is same same right?
So you'd suggest going both front and rear sways? Any other little bits?

Previous:
2012 Evo X - White
Parts: HKS | SSP | GARRETT | TURBOSMART | ARC | COLTSPEED | BLITZ | CAMTECH | VARIS | VOLK | CUSCO | TIEN | FORGE | FULL RACE

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 04-02-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

Yes that's correct.
I have not bothered about any other items apart from lowered springs on std struts.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

ALK, diff/sub frame bushing r good start. further on, u can look into group n engine/tranny mounts.

As for bracing the weakest link is sub frames, most japanese swap rear subframe brace to a liberty one(straight bolt on, much thicker). And Jspeed fender brace and cusco hbrace (whiteline, ultrex ones block tranny drain plug) can further help things to be more stiff.

if i were u, i will skip the sway bar if u r getting coilover eventually, choose spring rate carefully though

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport
Old 04-02-2015, 07:46 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

SolarFilms at standard level

I love sti's dont get me wrong, but why did you comeback to an Sti?

Any stand out reason? did you get sick of being "that guy with the Evo"

Nice buy either way love the hatch the most.

(an evo x is one of my dream cars)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarFilms View Post
I love sti's dont get me wrong, but why did you comeback to an Sti?

Any stand out reason? did you get sick of being "that guy with the Evo"

Nice buy either way love the hatch the most.

(an evo x is one of my dream cars)
Hatch is more practical, and Mitsubishi's attempt at an Evo hatch (ralliart hatch) is shit imo. Also have a substantial amount of cash left over after selling.
Edit - also dat boxer rumble
s20525xxx and SolarFilms like this.

Previous:
2012 Evo X - White

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 04-02-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

SolarFilms at standard level

Aahhahah yea ikr mitso's attempt at hatch was pretty bad.... the ralliart platform could have had potential. all auto with no option manual .

it was closer to a tuned vrx rather then a baby evo

Last edited by SolarFilms; 04-02-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Interesting! What's the science in regards to putting slotted on the rear as opposed to the front? I would have assumed better rotors on the front due to engine weight, etc.

Tags
back, sti