Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben628 View Post
Thanks Seagull, a very informative reply... much appreciated.

Yes I have purchased a Walbro 255 LPH, I should receive it shortly and would probably put it right away once I receive it and I also believe it would be fine without tuning as many have claim.

Do you think I would also need upgraded Fuel Pressure Regulator and Fuel Rail? again my fried recommended this.

Thanks again mate for the info, much appreciated
No not really...go with what ASG, S-Technic and Seagull said. VF34 is a good upgrade along with fuel pump and CAI. Your injectors will be fine.
Maybe later find a second hand Autronic ECU or similar (usually less than $1000) get a suitable tune and you're done...though I would upgrade brakes and suspension first...
Old 12-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

No need to update the fuel rails
Old 12-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Thanks Seagull... much appreciated again.

@Nauli... yeah I thought about that, sometime last year when I bought the VF34 from a member on this forum, he's also got the Autronic ECU that was off his GC8 WRX too and he had it tuned with exactly what I'm doing except just different intercooler and TBE, he said Race Torque (where he got it done) should be able to plug n play it or at least with very minimal adjustment but after ringing them, ASG and Maximum Motorsport they all said that Autronics is not a good ecu to use and would cost over $1,000 just for tuning because they have to start from scratch. They then recommend I get a much more reliable and easy to tune ecu like the Power FC which is why I ended up with that now.

My plan is to probably use the power fc for now and probably look at a better ecu once I do the short block and 5 speed hybrid gearbox... not sure when that's gonna happen though LOL
Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
I use it mainly for street driving and enjoy the pulling power around 3-4,000 rpm because I don't see the point in having a turbo that will sustain up to redline rpm because I almost never push it to redline anyway in fear of getting pulled over by cops.
Quote:

My plan is to probably use the power fc for now and probably look at a better ecu once I do the short block and 5 speed hybrid gearbox... not sure when that's gonna happen though LOL

You dreamin bro.

Just buy a polo gti and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

LOL seriously...

Sorry, don't mean anything by it but I actualky had a Polo GTI before the rex and didn't really like it hey, much prefer the rex.

I had a 9N3 Polo GTI before and found the power to be sub par and to even get it to the same power as the rex means $$$$ coz there isn't much parts for it and what's available cost an arm and a leg
Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Subaru Tech Division

You don't want to rev it past 4000rpm because of the 5.0 but you plan on doing the short block and a 5spd hybrid gearbox.

Sorry but I'm confused.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

well sorry I should probably re-iterate better, my bad.

What I meant is that most of the time I would rev between 3-4k but occasionally I do give her a bit of a good push to 6-6.5k but you can't really do much of that on the street.

I am planning a short block and 5 speed hybrid only because he car has done 216,000km and never had a recon or what not and just wanted to have a fresh engine and gearbox before they blew up.

Again I would be honest I am very new to the performance scenery and I'm not going to for one second pretend that I know about it which is why I'm interested to know what others with more experience think about and the plan to have a short block and hybrid gearbox is again based on what I've researched and what is recommended or suggested by friends.

If you think I'm heading in the wrong direction with the plan, please do tell me and I would be eternally grateful

Thanks again
Old 13-04-2017, 06:00 AM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

What's a hybrid five speed gearbox? I'm new.
Old 13-04-2017, 06:40 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Thanks Seagull... much appreciated again.

@Nauli... yeah I thought about that, sometime last year when I bought the VF34 from a member on this forum, he's also got the Autronic ECU that was off his GC8 WRX too and he had it tuned with exactly what I'm doing except just different intercooler and TBE, he said Race Torque (where he got it done) should be able to plug n play it or at least with very minimal adjustment but after ringing them, ASG and Maximum Motorsport they all said that Autronics is not a good ecu to use and would cost over $1,000 just for tuning because they have to start from scratch. They then recommend I get a much more reliable and easy to tune ecu like the Power FC which is why I ended up with that now.

Really? So Maximum Motorsport said Autronic was not a good ECU, yet they use Autronic in a number of their tarmac and gravel cars...hmmm.
Any ECU or piggyback will cost you money to tune....whether Power FC, Autronic or MoTec....
Old 13-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex View Post
What's a hybrid five speed gearbox? I'm new.
Yes please explain.

Tags
cai, gc8, mod, questions, wrx