Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben628 View Post
Sorry for the noob question but what do you mean by tail it off a bit at the top?
It means a turbo that size wont be able to move enough air volume to maintain that pressure at higher RPM. Its too small and will be way outside of its efficiency range trying to move that much air. The further you try and push a turbo outside its efficiency, the hotter the air it compresses will be. (Less efficient). And also the faster the turbo will need to spin to do it. So taperring the boost down as the RPMs increase will help with keeping temps down and not stressing the system.

Last edited by Bram; 09-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Boost. Drop the boost to 1.2/1.3bar in the high rpm range.
It won't produce much above that anyway and you won't stress/overspeed the turbo.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sneakynuts at standard level

Imaterial of the HP figure he has given you if Justin has tuned it you will have a very safe tune.. that means it won't be on the edge of self desruction and should last you a fair while as long as you look after it...

if you wanted 330hp and it to last 1 week I am sure he could have done that for you...
Old 10-11-2017, 12:30 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Ahhh I see okay thanks guys for the explanation

I spoke to Justin today and believe he mention the same thing too, he reckons 22 PSI would be the ideal, may go to 23 but he'll have to taper it down a notch to be safe.

We'll wait and see I suppose.

Thanks again guys, will keep you posted
AJAYJAY likes this.
Old 14-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hey guys,

Hope you're all well

As promised just to update everyone.
So picked up the car today and was really happy with the way it drives, figure wise was a bit dissapointing - 262awhp / 712nm Torque / 22 PSI

This is what I'm confused about, honest to God it drives really well compare to before, it pulls a bit harder but stays on longer, definitely a lot smoother than before, it felt like it just wants to keep going whereas before it gets a bit dry after long push 2nd - 3rd to 4th gear.

So it drives much better than before, I wouldn't say it pulls a lot harder than before but definitely much2 smoother than before but yet it's 16HP less than before, PSI was up 2 from 20 before and Torque was about the same.

Injector is now running at about 40% duty cycle whereas before it was 97%.

So yeah anyway that's what's happened, any thoughts?
06STI likes this.
Old 14-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Ohhh forgot to mention the only dilemma I have is that the bill which I estimated to about $2000-$2500 came up to $3795.

Man this is crazy but can't do anything about it now... I don't have a single complain on the quality parts and workmanship though, everything was so spot on, neat and tidy but only wished they could've given me a bit better indication.... this is what I mean walking into the unknown as a customer having to rely on information given but wasn't able to do that either even after the car was dropped off.

Fortunately I don't do stupid things like blow all my savings on modification so even though this stings a little but I'll be fine and I'll recover that soon enough but for some people I just don't get how they will deal or react to this situation.

As I said I used to work in Car Audio and Electronics industry for 10 years and there are few people who have come on a budget and I can't imagine handing over a bill twice what they have been estimated at.

Anyways I'm still thankful though for everyone at BYE, they did an awesome job and just glad it's all done now and won't have to worry about it again.
Old 15-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

In regards to bills, 9 times out of 10 they will always be much more than expected when it comes to performance cars and modifications.

In regards to the apparent horsepower drop, are you comparing different dynos? Roller versus hub dyno? Compare the graph, response and area under the curve before looking at the final numbers...
Old 15-11-2017, 07:59 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Any thoughts? I would have gone for a bigger turbo than the 34, like a dom1.5 for example. Swapping the 35 for a 34 ended up costing you a bunch as you first had to buy it, then fit it, then tune it, and at the end of the day it made less power anyways.
Old 15-11-2017, 09:53 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Top-Deck at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben628 View Post
- 262awhp / 712nm Torque / 22 PSI

any thoughts?
Is your torque figure a mis-print mate? 700+ Nm on a VF34 seems an absurd amount to me...but am very happy for you if that is the case haha
Old 15-11-2017, 11:14 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Deck View Post
Is your torque figure a mis-print mate? 700+ Nm on a VF34 seems an absurd amount to me...but am very happy for you if that is the case haha
700nm total torque. Derived torque will be like 50%
TROLLEY likes this.
Top-Deck (17-11-2017)

Tags
g4, link, perth, tuner