Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pettata

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Toasty at standard level
Default Hi, Total Noob Here

Hi there folks. Name's Kate.

My partner went and bought a WRX a few years ago, but over the last couple of months I've become the primary driver for various reasons. 2005 model Impreza S.

I really get why he loves the car. Took a while to get used to the way it drives, but I really, really love the damn thing.

I know nothing about them though. A friend said I should sign up here, so here I am. I hope totally hopeless noobs are welcome. =]
Old 13-07-2019, 09:26 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Captain Buff at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Hi there folks. Name's Kate.

My partner went and bought a WRX a few years ago, but over the last couple of months I've become the primary driver for various reasons. 2005 model Impreza S.

I really get why he loves the car. Took a while to get used to the way it drives, but I really, really love the damn thing.

I know nothing about them though. A friend said I should sign up here, so here I am. I hope totally hopeless noobs are welcome. =]
Well...I can only speak for myself...but I would like to think that all WRX owners are welcome

I don't know if I can be of any assistance as I am apparently 'potty training'; however at the least I'm Josh, nice to meet you if you have any specific queries there are some pretty smart guys on here and some great threads to search through

Peace
Old 15-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Toasty at standard level

Thanks Josh, great to meet you!

No specific questions yet, but she's going in for a timing belt replacement and log book service this Friday, so I may need to do some serious browsing.

I'm still at the stage where I get anxious and paranoid every time the car starts idling weirdly or making odd sounds whilst driving. I blame the dealership and the repairs they buggered up twice already.
Old 15-07-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
No specific questions yet, but she's going in for a timing belt replacement and log book service this Friday, so I may need to do some serious browsing.
Like I mentioned - I am not very knowledgeable about engine stuff (if you want a car stereo that will blow your windows out then I can help!)...BUT

Whilst I know very little...it is still unbelievably helpful! My suggestion would be to search around the site here and on other sites and learn as much as you can about your car. I know you're probably thinking BORING (I know the same statement was made to me a couple years ago and as engines are just not really my thing I went 'yeah cheers man' - whatever...); but looking back I wish I had known more about my particular model.

Quote:
I'm still at the stage where I get anxious and paranoid every time the car starts idling weirdly or making odd sounds whilst driving.
Again I can only speak for myself...but I have an MY17 WRX with 13,000km's on it (just ticked over!)...and I worry about strange idling, stalling. occasional semi loud and concerning exhaust gurgles...possibly 'welcome to the club' LMAO

Quote:
I blame the dealership and the repairs they buggered up twice already.
Well now...that sounds like an interesting story of woe! If you feel like sharing go for it...I am by no means an oracle on anything engine related but you might say something that interests someone on here and they might jump in with some help...just a thought

I can't say that I know what an 05 Impreza goes for ($ wise) but I don't have particularly fond memories of the look of my wallet when a timing belt was replaced! Hopefully the pain is not too severe...
Old 17-07-2019, 02:57 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Toasty at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
Like I mentioned - I am not very knowledgeable about engine stuff (if you want a car stereo that will blow your windows out then I can help!)...BUT

Whilst I know very little...it is still unbelievably helpful! My suggestion would be to search around the site here and on other sites and learn as much as you can about your car. I know you're probably thinking BORING (I know the same statement was made to me a couple years ago and as engines are just not really my thing I went 'yeah cheers man' - whatever...); but looking back I wish I had known more about my particular model.
I'm learning as much as I can. As much as I'm a complete and total clueless dork when it comes to mechanics and car repairs, I'd actually like to know this car well.

May take you up on the stereo info in a few months, the one I've got's alright...but it's not the best for the music I'm listening to tbh.

Quote:
Again I can only speak for myself...but I have an MY17 WRX with 13,000km's on it (just ticked over!)...and I worry about strange idling, stalling. occasional semi loud and concerning exhaust gurgles...possibly 'welcome to the club' LMAO
Lol thanks, old girl's 200,000km's at this point and I think that's what worries me.

Oh god the stalling. I'd been driving a corolla prior to this, took me a week to get used to the clutch on the WRX. Now if the car stalls I sit there wondering if I'm an idiot who's being too slow on the clutch, or if I'm an idiot who's about to have a very expensive problem.

Quote:
Well now...that sounds like an interesting story of woe! If you feel like sharing go for it...I am by no means an oracle on anything engine related but you might say something that interests someone on here and they might jump in with some help...just a thought
Might post that actually, see if anyone else has had repeated issues with these guys.

Quote:
I can't say that I know what an 05 Impreza goes for ($ wise) but I don't have particularly fond memories of the look of my wallet when a timing belt was replaced! Hopefully the pain is not too severe...
I've been given a quote for $1500 full service and tune plus timing belt replacement. Which is pretty damn good considering. I think most of the cost is actually the timing belt itself. I had a minor heart attack looking up average replacement costs. XD
Old 17-07-2019, 11:49 PM

Soultrade at standard level

Hi Kate,
Welcome to the forum.
Has the car got any mods? and what repairs were done by the dealership?
200,000 Ks may seem a lot but if regularly serviced and maintained the engine will last a long time.
For the timing belt I had my 06 WRX done at STechnic with a new water pump and it was around $1400. So for $1500 including a service is a really good price.
Old 20-07-2019, 09:55 PM
STI Master

Pettata at standard level

Quote:
I'm still at the stage where I get anxious and paranoid every time the car starts idling weirdly or making odd sounds whilst driving.
Welcome. I used to be like that, but Subaru's are usually built so well that they keep on going even though it sounds like they are about to break apart like a rocket on re-entry.
Mine is a 95 and it's been making a whole bunch of weird noises for a while now, but thankfully we've been able to diagnose them, and currently they aren't anything serious enough to fix immediately (or apparently at all).
A wise subaru mechanic, who unfortunately no longer runs a shop, once told me, "most people with Subarus just buy a good sound system so they don't have to listen to all the rattles."
Captain Buff likes this.
Old 21-07-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettata View Post
A wise subaru mechanic, who unfortunately no longer runs a shop, once told me, "most people with Subarus just buy a good sound system so they don't have to listen to all the rattles."
Gold!

I actually have yet to install my stereo - however on a 'car audio' forum a guy who had put down some notes on his 2015+ build commented about the 'tin can' nature of Scooby's and the potential for vibrations and rattles when installing any stereo equipment - and I completely agreed

I have five boxes of Dynamat and I think I will use all of them in the boot alone lol

Tags
noob, total