Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > The Law and Politics- Locally and Abroad
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

What reminds me of that was the kelly brothers.
Couldnt legally drive a v8 on the street, raced v8 supercars as a profession :-/

It really is one size fits all.
Old 23-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_Action View Post
Why not have another class of driver’s license?
Motorbikes already have it, why not for cars?

When you get your P's you are restricted to a kilowatt limit + all the other conditions. After you are off your P's, apply for a license upgrade to drive more powerful and/or larger vehicles if you wish. If not, keep driving your Hyundai Getz around.
^^ This.

Have more classes for vehicles and more licensing tests to suit. i.e. Small car, large car, high powered car, 4WD etc etc

Everything else requires specific training - Trucks, Motorbikes, Forklifts, Cranes, EWP's etc. So why do we have such an open blanket rule on 'cars'?

I disagree on any form of age restriction (esp to 25 years old). It should only be a restriction based on your experience (same as with the bikes). The key isn't age, it is experience and knowledge. 1 year to experience all the cars flying around you and getting used to that, then you can go off and get the license to drive whatever you want.

A lot of people have the opinion that a license is a right, not a privilege.

If it is such a terrible thing going on out there with 17-25 year old's dying all over the place, why not introduce something to put those people in modern, safer cars?
Old 23-04-2012, 09:19 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

If you say ... 130kw limit

What falls into that?

Every commodore made before 1987, every V6 one up until 1996/7
Every falcon up to 1995ish also
Every old small car
Then your modern small hatches etc

Of course that is a pretty blanket comment, but a power limit does NOTHING to ensure young people are in new safe cars.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-04-2012, 10:36 AM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

Lifting the restriction should be an option for those under 25. Perhaps via a skills test.
Something like a no handed donut connecting the lines, link 2 drift corners and a hand brake parallel park.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

compulsary mot/safety checks on vehicles every 2 years would do more help.

about time someone focus on the amount of jerks with missing tail lights/smoking exhausts, leaky engines, no wipers etc

auto industry would pick up, auto recycling would pick up, and the standard of average motorvehicles would improve and in hand improve safety.

Long live the WRC
Old 23-04-2012, 11:10 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

ewrxion87 at standard level

we use speed limiters at work / rev limiter as such

can only do max speed of 60 onsite and max speed 100 off site
on the landcruisers from my understanding they put a small computer in them and a boost restricter t peice i think.

at the end of the day, at 60kms an hour u can still go sideways into the tree (clip a kerb and potentially roll it) - i think it all comes down to education at the end of the day and the persons mentality behind the wheel.

they were saying on the news they dont want to ban fast cars for yound drivers because the new fast cars generally have better safety features installed. ie new wrx has 6 -8 airbags and all the normal traction control ebs etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
If you say ... 130kw limit

What falls into that?

Every commodore made before 1987, every V6 one up until 1996/7
Every falcon up to 1995ish also
Every old small car
Then your modern small hatches etc

Of course that is a pretty blanket comment, but a power limit does NOTHING to ensure young people are in new safe cars.

P-West TMIC / ecutek / HF CAI / Turbosmart / Apexi / Federal / 19psi / bc racing & whiteline / Perrin Performance / Rays
Old 23-04-2012, 11:33 AM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

all i can say is being a young driver on my red P's i wish that the driver education was a little more advanced while i was a learner all i had to do was answer a few questions and i got my learners permit.
then obviously learn how to drive so a month later i do a practical test only 30 minutes driving around kelmscott, thats pretty easy and i get the stage 2 learners permit .
then spend 6 months driving around, go for my licence and do the hpt but what i want to know is why not another practical in that six months time anyone could pick up bad driving habits which they will continue with after they get their licence unless they are taught otherwise.

pesonally i want to do an advanced driving course soon because i feel that as a learner i wasn't taught how to control the car properly, in the future advanced driving courses should be mandatory to pass before anyone gets a licence.
Old 23-04-2012, 11:45 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level

The kind of stories that lead to the new laws being discussed in this thread.

A waste of a young life - teens skip mates' race then watch its deadly end | Perth Now

The above article is an extreme example and not in WA, however how many accidents that don't involve a death or traffic infringements occur within the target group

Agreed even lower powered cars can get to dangerous speeds (albeit at a slower rate) and be driven recklessly.

Is it better to have an inexperienced driver:

A) In a lower powered car
B) In a high powered 6Cyl/V8/Turbo Silvia/WRX etc

I think high powered cars just amplify getting into trouble. Can be a recipe for disaster.

15-20 years ago there were not many high powered cars available. The costs were high and there were generally fewer cars or drivers on the roads. These days $2-3K can buy you a quick six, a Silvia or an older V8, something many new/younger drivers can afford. No need to spend mega bucks building a hot motor for a LJ Torana any more, just wind up the boost on the turbo and instant horse power, cheap.

Add to that the popularity of drifting, movies such as F&F and Youtube/FB to broadcast your driving to the world and well...

A KW limit and a tiered approach to drivers' licensing for passenger vehicles may not be such a bad idea.

Good debate on this one, keep it coming.
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]
Old 23-04-2012, 11:59 AM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

The focus has to get off speed and young drivers to ALL dangerous activities.

The number of times I see people texting / mobile phone using whilst driving I would suggest is much more dangerous than any spirited driver getting a high powered car sideways.

Throw in the idiots that place a GPS in the middle of their field of vision, drivers failing to keep left enforcing "sui"SIDE undertaking, 20 Km below the limit on a freeway, merging turning into a race, changing lanes without indication, etc etc.

There are many matters greater than the occasional tool driver in a higher powered vehicle that occur incessantly which are more of a concern.
Old 23-04-2012, 12:04 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

Young people have been killing themselves in cars for decades. New laws won't change that. Advances in vehicle construction have probably saved a few of them. So far as I see it, this is just a public awareness exercise in the hope that someone one day will decide not to be the idiot.

I don't disagree with the proposals, I just think you will never stop the moron factor.

Tags
1725, olds, powerweight, restrictions, vehicle, year