Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Link Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/link-discussion/)
-   -   Links ECU (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/link-discussion/11279-links-engine-control-unit.html)

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 07:27 AM

Links ECU

Hey guys n girlz,

Just interested to find out if anyone is using LINKS as there ecu! As RMS are pointing me towards one! Im on about a $2000 limit for an ECU and was just wondering how they perform. I dont know much in regards to ECU's so was hoping people could maybe explain it a little more for me. Are they easy to tune? Do you get alot of extra gain from a LINK? etc etc

Will appreciate any information given and comments made

Cheers

11secWrx 28-03-2007 07:29 AM

Ive had no problems with mine. If you have a 2k budget then yeah go for one. just dont get the antilag function.

Hurtenstein 28-03-2007 07:45 AM

I've got one. never had a problem. Im running just shy of 300 HP. does everything it's meant to. A few ppl here are too, PolarBear is, he'll tell you how great they too. =)
Just make sure you get it so you can plug a laptop into, not just the hand controller. I think there are some out there that are hand controller only. makes it way harder to tune.

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 08:06 AM

awsome, well iv heard nothing but good things too! just really wanted to know what the perth-wrx guys thought! $2200 alex at RMS quoted me for a LINKS ECU with a dyno tune etc! Also looking into getting a VF22 whilst in the shop. Would this give me alot more power with the new turbo and links? At the moment iv only got a TBE and FMIC! A Greedy Profec B is getting installed to so ill prolly run my turbo on around 14psi or what ever RMS recomend.!!!

sleepy 28-03-2007 08:35 AM

I have a Link too. Pretty happy with it, though I have light mods.

If I was you, I would look at a VF34 or VF35. Much better spool over the 22.

You will probably find they will tune it to "around" 1.2 bar or 17.5psi

Hurtenstein 28-03-2007 08:38 AM

You dont need the Profec B if you're getting the link...

joey89 28-03-2007 08:46 AM

Got a Link havnt had any problems yet made good power for mods and drives well!

Good bang for your buck!

REXLLENT 28-03-2007 08:55 AM

i have a link also. never had a problem with it. :)

EL 19 28-03-2007 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=wrx_diamond]awsome, well iv heard nothing but good things too! just really wanted to know what the perth-wrx guys thought! $2200 alex at RMS quoted me for a LINKS ECU with a dyno tune etc! Also looking into getting a VF22 whilst in the shop. Would this give me alot more power with the new turbo and links? At the moment iv only got a TBE and FMIC! A Greedy Profec B is getting installed to so ill prolly run my turbo on around 14psi or what ever RMS recomend.!!![/QUOTE]

Was that $2200 for LinkG3 ECU?

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=EL 19]Was that $2200 for LinkG3 ECU?[/QUOTE]

Nah i was quoted around $3300 for the G3 man!

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=Hurtenstein]You dont need the Profec B if you're getting the link...[/QUOTE]

Didnt realize that you didnt need one! Is that because you can change you boost within the ECU???

Wouldnt A EBC still give you the advantage of being able to change the boost in the car at the push of a button?

joey89 28-03-2007 09:19 AM

I have link hand controller i can change boost by push of a button aswell!

But yeah EBC would be better me thinks!

Hurtenstein 28-03-2007 09:20 AM

you can do it with a touch of a few buttons on the link hand controller.
theres no point that i see but. just have it set to max, if you dont want too much boost dont push the throttle so hard. by all means go for both if you want, just a waste of money in my eyes.

sleepy 28-03-2007 09:25 AM

not only that but changing boost settings after a car is tuned is probably not a good idea anyway.

Hurtenstein 28-03-2007 09:30 AM

The only real purpose to altering boost is if you were ever going to lend your car to someone.. you can use the hand controller to set a limit, then unplug it and take it with you. Then the person you lent it to can only abuse it so much...

BALISTC 28-03-2007 09:34 AM

For $2200, I'd be looking at a 2nd hand Autronic.

See if you can find a Link 2nd hand, they are MUCH better value!!

joey89 28-03-2007 09:45 AM

Darkmoose is selling his autronic for $1700 i think awesome buy if you ask me!

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10813[/url]

BALISTC 28-03-2007 09:48 AM

Also, 3.3k for a Link G3...you can get a MoTeC M800 for that price..

Adr3naL1N 28-03-2007 10:11 AM

dont bother getting the hand controller, save your money, once rms has tuned the car you shouldnt need to touch anything on the hand controller, rms will tell you this also. And it is a good idea also to keep the greddy ebc, its better having an external boost controller, alternating between a high and low setting, this can be incorporated in the tune of the link however you wanna put it. Keep the ebc, have a high and low setting, say 11psi and high on 17psi. Then that controls ya boost, as i said dont bother with the hand controller waste of cash and you dont accidently wanna stuff any of the settings rms has put. Alternating between a high and low setting on the tuned ecu will be fine.

i had a link on my white wrx, didnt have a prob with it, i had a the antilag function on it, if you really after antilag for wank factor, dont get the link, antilag on the link doesnt coz big poppage and flames. But if your not worried bout antilag i recomend the link.

IMPRESHER 28-03-2007 10:23 AM

Autronics pride , get it while is cheap and for sale ...

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 10:29 AM

yeh the hand controller was like an extra $500 so im not going to bother! Just going to get RMS to tune my car to its best while still using the EBC to alter between high and low as i only would run High when i need to feel speed :p

Just have to say perthwrx is so handy to get information off, especially from all the wrx ownerz. So glad i signed up cause im real big wrx lover, its quiet scary! hah but nah serioulsy thanks people!

But serioulsy how much did other people pay for a brand new LINKS. Is $2200 expensive???

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=Adr3naL1N]dont bother getting the hand controller, save your money, once rms has tuned the car you shouldnt need to touch anything on the hand controller, rms will tell you this also. And it is a good idea also to keep the greddy ebc, its better having an external boost controller, alternating between a high and low setting, this can be incorporated in the tune of the link however you wanna put it. Keep the ebc, have a high and low setting, say 11psi and high on 17psi. Then that controls ya boost, as i said dont bother with the hand controller waste of cash and you dont accidently wanna stuff any of the settings rms has put. Alternating between a high and low setting on the tuned ecu will be fine.

i had a link on my white wrx, didnt have a prob with it, i had a the antilag function on it, if you really after antilag for wank factor, dont get the link, antilag on the link doesnt coz big poppage and flames. But if your not worried bout antilag i recomend the link.[/QUOTE]

Whats the whole idea with this antilag iv been hearing about?? Obviously it helps to stop the lag but how does it work and is it worth getting???

BALISTC 28-03-2007 10:32 AM

Dude.....you sure its $500 for a hand controller?

As for antilag, do a search...info is freely available :)

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Dude.....you sure its $500 for a hand controller?

As for antilag, do a search...info is freely available :)[/QUOTE]

Yeh man pretty sure! otherwise wouldnt have said it!

This was some time ago

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 10:39 AM

So from what iv read, ALS Can be dangerous also as it can put more pressure on your turbo etc. I want to consider the reliability factor too so i will think about this one! Is it a ON/OFF thing as in can you enable it when you want?? That wouldnt be so bad

Adr3naL1N 28-03-2007 10:44 AM

antilag can be harmful, you dont wanna run it for long periods of time, like most people on here with antilag, its fun at first but the novelty does where off very quickly. If your not gonan do some hardcore racing or drags dont worry bout it, unless you really want it purely for show. With the link if you get antilag its likely you will have to move your air con switch to, mine had to be moved to the the button next to the fog light switch on the rhs.

i got quoted 350 for the hand controller through rms.

Josh 28-03-2007 10:44 AM

Yes it's ON/OFF. People generally do it using the fog light switch on MoTeC. Not sure if this can be done with a Link though.

In all honesty, buy that Autronic for $1700 off Dark Moose. It's a far better buy.

Adr3naL1N 28-03-2007 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=Josh]Yes it's ON/OFF. People generally do it using the fog light switch on MoTeC. Not sure if this can be done with a Link though.

In all honesty, buy that Autronic for $1700 off Dark Moose. It's a far better buy.[/QUOTE]

yeah i had a basic toggle switch next to my foglight button with the link, just a flick on and off to operate.

agreed, buythat autronic, im tempted to buy it, but unsure if i wanna keep my my99 for much longer or just wait til next year and buy an my05

BALISTC 28-03-2007 10:58 AM

With the Link ECU, you need to do the following to turn on anti-lag.

1. Make sure car is off.
2. Flick throttle kicker switch
3. Foot flat to the floor
4. Start car up
5. Remove foot from throttle the moment the car starts.

To turn antilag off, you switch the car off, then flick the throttle kicker switch off.

You cant turn Link antilag on/off at the flick of a switch. However, you can do this with a Motec or Autronic.

Adr3naL1N 28-03-2007 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]With the Link ECU, you need to do the following to turn on anti-lag.

1. Make sure car is off.
2. Flick throttle kicker switch
3. Foot flat to the floor
4. Start car up
5. Remove foot from throttle the moment the car starts.

To turn antilag off, you switch the car off, then flick the throttle kicker switch off.

You cant turn Link antilag on/off at the flick of a switch. However, you can do this with a Motec or Autronic.[/QUOTE]

are you sure joe? is this for all wrx models? mine operated by just the flick of the switch with the car on.

wrx_diamond 28-03-2007 11:10 AM

Autronics vs LINKS

What makes autronics better than LINKS?? Can you tune the autronics better than the links?? Or is it simply because of the brand name? As i said iv got around a $2000 budget for one! I wouldnt know how much the Autronics are worth so im guessing dark moose has it for a good price so iv been told!

BALISTC 28-03-2007 11:12 AM

Its got more resolution, faster speed, more options, etc...so yes, its more tuneable.

BALISTC 28-03-2007 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=Adr3naL1N]are you sure joe? is this for all wrx models? mine operated by just the flick of the switch with the car on.[/QUOTE]

For all the Links I've used, thats how it was operated.

Hurtenstein 28-03-2007 11:24 AM

1700 is just for the autronic unit, not for install and tune. is the price you got quoted for the link including install and tune?

WRP10 28-03-2007 11:41 AM

Its still better imo, the Autronic keeps a far better level ov drivability in terms of idle and whatnot from what ive heard

joey89 28-03-2007 11:52 AM

Yeah the links idel are pretty shocking only down fall

But nothing to lose sleep over!

BALISTC 28-03-2007 11:59 AM

You can make a Link idle good if you know how to tune it properly, trust me..

Adr3naL1N 28-03-2007 12:24 PM

for that autronic, be looking at nearly another 1000 ontop of the 1700 for a good tune i think. at least 600 i would think.

sleepy 28-03-2007 12:26 PM

I think RMS charge around $500 for a tune?

On a Link anyway...

tuna 28-03-2007 12:43 PM

theres only 100 odd cells to play with thats why :)