Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Link Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

digging it up. Don't know if its been sorted yet.
the AFR going to full lean when you get off the throttle is normal, its over-run fuel cut, all factory ECU's do it and good standalone's have the facility to do it. Its for emission control. Even Carbies on the last carby cars did it.

When the idle start's fluxuating and the AFR's start to wander at idle, is anything happening? thermo's kicking in? A/c on? it sounds like an enrichment or compensation issue.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 16-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

O.k on boost over 4 or 5 psi your afr's should be under 12:1

Idle of 14-15.xx is normal....idle at 18-20:1 is way lean.

Do yourself a favor and add 1 or 2 extra earths directly from the negative terminal on the battery, run 1 to the inlet manifold & the other to the A/c compressor mounting bracket. I reckon you may have an earth return issue.

Dodgey alternator reg usually shows up as a flickering battery light.

Reply with you results.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 16-06-2011, 09:55 PM

Strubaru knows their stuff

yeah its flickering around 15-16 at idle but occasionally will flicker to 18-19 when the idle

mashing the pedal it hits around 12.5-13.5

problem is worse with the headlights on... so that kinda swaying me towards thinking its the injector dead times in the tune

time for a retune & hopefully it can be sorted
Old 16-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Where did you located your O2 sensor for the wideband?

Sometimes the wrong location of the O2 will read 18-20 at idle because there is not enuugh exhaust pressure.

If you did the above, please locate your O2 sensor to the front pipe where the factory O2 sensor is for more accuracy.

If you already did it right, then I would check the tune again at idle. There are tables for cold start and idle which you have to go into the software to get the tune right.

WOT flirting between 11-13??? That is way too lean already at 13....... dangerous!!!! Try consistent 11.2s pls at WOT.

Set up a Vi-pec ecu today (not RoughStilin's car), started up first time and idled perfect. Will be tuning it tomorrow , but bearing in mind that the software and firmware is different although the board is similar (not entirely though I am not at liberty to say), I will look at the idle set-ups and give you some details if it will help u.

Regards,
Mao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru View Post
okay, so I replaced the plugs and coilpacks beacuse i had them there anyway
also remove the avcs solenoid banjo bolt filters, however.....

idle is still dodgey

wideband AFR gauge arrived yesterday so i've now connected that up, i've noticed that when driving along normarlly with partial throttle the gauge sits around the 13-15 range although if i get off the gas pedal completely the gauge goes all the way to lean as the revs drop to idle... is this normal?

when i'm sitting stationary & the idle starts to wander the gauge is flickering on 18-20 & somethimes full lean

when i'm sitting stationary & the idle is fine the gauge flickers at 14.7-15 (which i think it should be doing all the time)

when car is at WOT the gauge shows no sign of running lean (flits qround between 11 & 13)

someone please coprrect me if i'm wrong but if it was in the tune, it would be a constant problem not intermittent wouldn't it ?

starting to think my injectors need a clean/service/replace ????

can i have some opinions please

Last edited by mao; 17-06-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:50 AM

yeah wideband sensor is in the stock gc8 location - right behind the turbo

so have you tuned link ecu's using pclink before?

keen for a play?

edit: sounds like this is where it needs a little fine tuning:

There is always a delay between an injector being energised and the injector actually opening. Likewise, there is a small delay between the injector being de-energised and the injector closing. Because the opening time is considerably longer than the closing time, the overall result is that less fuel will flow for a given pulse width than would be expected with an 'ideal' injector'

To compensate for this PC Link increases the injector pulse widths to compensate for this 'dead-time'. The dead-time for a given injector is a function of the battery voltage, differential fuel pressure and the type of injector control (saturation or peak and hold). A typical dead-time at 3Bar differential fuel pressure and 14 volts is just under 1ms (ms = millisecond = 1 thousandth of a second).

In applications with a linear 1:1 fuel pressure regulator (ie not a rising rate regulator), the differential fuel pressure (difference between manifold pressure and fuel pressure) will be constant. Therefore the only variable that can change, thus affecting the injector dead time, is the battery voltage (this can change with electrical load - e.g. when the air conditioning or lights are switched on - and sometimes engine speed).

Without correction, the changes in dead time will cause the engine to run lean when the voltage drops. If the Injector Voltage Correction is properly setup then changes in the battery voltage will not affect the air/fuel ratio.

The injector dead-time table in PC Link allows the dead-time for different battery voltages to be entered. The values represent the dead-time in milliseconds. These should increase with falling system voltage. Dead time values for a particular injector can be entered directly or a preset Injector Type selected.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

This is what I meant by an enrichment or compensation issue. The Link has adjustments for high voltage load, eg, head lights and demisters, thermo fan and A/C operation.
I found that the 44S stuggles with idle mixtures when the thermo's kick in, but it can be tuned out with a little patience.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 17-06-2011, 09:09 AM

sweet cheers john, yeah its not bad with the thermo's kicking in and out -the idle stays pretty stable, when it comes back down to idle after driving perfectly it just seems to get into the cyle of chasing itself and the idle goes up and down between 1500 & 500
Old 17-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Unfortunately we have not had much experience with the Link. Warick has done the Link before but wasnt too impressed with the older software as the older software had tuning started in the middle of the tables.

You might have a newer version of the software so it might be a lot different.

Will be happy to look at it in about 2 weeks time, got some catching up to do at the moment.

Regards,
Mao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru View Post
yeah wideband sensor is in the stock gc8 location - right behind the turbo

so have you tuned link ecu's using pclink before?

keen for a play?

edit: sounds like this is where it needs a little fine tuning:

There is always a delay between an injector being energised and the injector actually opening. Likewise, there is a small delay between the injector being de-energised and the injector closing. Because the opening time is considerably longer than the closing time, the overall result is that less fuel will flow for a given pulse width than would be expected with an 'ideal' injector'

To compensate for this PC Link increases the injector pulse widths to compensate for this 'dead-time'. The dead-time for a given injector is a function of the battery voltage, differential fuel pressure and the type of injector control (saturation or peak and hold). A typical dead-time at 3Bar differential fuel pressure and 14 volts is just under 1ms (ms = millisecond = 1 thousandth of a second).

In applications with a linear 1:1 fuel pressure regulator (ie not a rising rate regulator), the differential fuel pressure (difference between manifold pressure and fuel pressure) will be constant. Therefore the only variable that can change, thus affecting the injector dead time, is the battery voltage (this can change with electrical load - e.g. when the air conditioning or lights are switched on - and sometimes engine speed).

Without correction, the changes in dead time will cause the engine to run lean when the voltage drops. If the Injector Voltage Correction is properly setup then changes in the battery voltage will not affect the air/fuel ratio.

The injector dead-time table in PC Link allows the dead-time for different battery voltages to be entered. The values represent the dead-time in milliseconds. These should increase with falling system voltage. Dead time values for a particular injector can be entered directly or a preset Injector Type selected.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:13 AM

cool cheers, as i mentioned its a link G3 not an old school possumlink or anything

got it booked in for a retune with ASG so hopefully sean can sort this issue out once and for all, got a couple of other mods i need the retune for anyway
Old 29-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Sir AntiLag

foxey at standard level

Chris

You can come over this weekend and I can have a look if you want, I suspect that it is as simple as the TPS not being scaled correctly, or the tps setting for when idle control takes over.

Tags
g3, idle, link, rough

« Link G4 | 44S tune »