Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Link Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level
Default 44S tune

thinking of buying one of these, i shouldnt have any problems getting this tuned should i?

who's the best for this now days? preferably SOR

thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

In the age of Re-flashing factory smart hardware I don't know why you'd bother going backward to a basic stand alone?

Why don't you just go with a Verso which maintains all factory functions, driveability, immobilizer & failsafes?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

Not sure link man is Leigh Hynes works out of Busso but comes to Perth for tuning talk to the boys at Stechnic if keen

Sent from da iPhone using Tapa on someone's unsecured wifi
Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
In the age of Re-flashing factory smart hardware I don't know why you'd bother going backward to a basic stand alone?

Why don't you just go with a Verso which maintains all factory functions, driveability, immobilizer & failsafes?
i thought a link would still retain the factory immobilser?

driveabilty, well as long as its reasonable i would be happy, lots of positive comments on here about them.

what do you mean by failsafes?

can a verso be setup to run without the maf?

as i said in my ecu wtd thread, i havent ruled out a verso at all, just interested inother options.

thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

The 44s is old school nothing like the g3-g4 platform link is now running on not many will touch the old link ecu unless it's the newer version on the g4

Sent from da iPhone using Tapa on someone's unsecured wifi
Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Failsafes as in factory staged rpm limiter, over boost protection, ignition timing self learn, knock retard & corrections (all parameters are tuner variable), fuel pump control (GD has a fuel pump speed controller driven off the ecu), power steering load sensing etc - just to name a few

Factory transponder immob is part of the ecu.

GD MAF isn't an issue & is reliable, you won't get remotely close to maxing it out with stock heads,cams & 205 bottom end. Only the GC8 film type MAF's are/were unreliable.

I don't understand why you'd be interested in giving it the flick when it won't be your limiting factor power-wise, nor be unreliable.

MAF systems take less time to tune (less $$), cold start is always spot on, off boost mapping is more accurate (MAF resolution) & they allow for more variables before someone needs to pull the lappie out & retune it.

The 44s is getting on a bit & the new Link G4 or Vipec are a different kettle of fish with much faster processors & more developed firmware......Even if they have no knock control out of the box -STILL-!!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by munya View Post
The 44s is old school nothing like the g3-g4 platform link is now running on not many will touch the old link ecu unless it's the newer version on the g4
i know its oldschool, but that doesnt put me off that much (i really liked my old haltech e6A!)- now if finding a tuner that will tune it is an issue that could be a deal breaker.
thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Failsafes as in factory staged rpm limiter, over boost protection, ignition timing self learn, knock retard & corrections (all parameters are tuner variable), fuel pump control (GD has a fuel pump speed controller driven off the ecu), power steering load sensing etc - just to name a few

Factory transponder immob is part of the ecu.

GD MAF isn't an issue & is reliable, you won't get remotely close to maxing it out with stock heads,cams & 205 bottom end. Only the GC8 film type MAF's are/were unreliable.

I don't understand why you'd be interested in giving it the flick when it won't be your limiting factor power-wise, nor be unreliable.

MAF systems take less time to tune (less $$), cold start is always spot on, off boost mapping is more accurate (MAF resolution) & they allow for more variables before someone needs to pull the lappie out & retune it.

The 44s is getting on a bit & the new Link G4 or Vipec are a different kettle of fish with much faster processors & more developed firmware......Even if they have no knock control out of the box -STILL-!!
why do they get such a good rap on here then? (i know the posts are old, but that doesnt worry me much)

i thought the immob had its own ecu, so that is a negative aspect for me.

i know the maf has good points, but given the chance i prefer map for simplicity if i can.

i can get this ecu $350, tune would be 3 or 400 im guessing - seen posts on here saying verso from asg is $1200? - fairly decent price difference, but if its going to fuck with my immob & finding a tuner is going to be difficult i will give it a miss.
thanks a lot
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM

MAF is a more simplistic set up & quicker to tune. MAP uses calculations 'guestimate' the actual airflow - A MAF measures it directly.

44s were good when there was no better option, Heck the Microtech Digi-2 Pro was a 'good' ecu back in my Mazda 13b turbo days!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
STI Master

when i said simplistic, i meant in the mechanical layout sense - straight intake to the pod - call it wank if you like, but i prefer it. also i like the idea of being able to see the real intake temp (after the compressor/intercooler) - i assume the 44s can use a proper intake temp sensor

the immob issue could be a big one for me, but will check if anyone will tune it on tuesday anyway.

thanks

Tags
44s, tune