Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Motorsport > Local Motorsport
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:37 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

I think it is a joke! Are we in a Rally or a touring event. If they want to slow the speed down find some roads that aren't just drag strips. This will effect awd cars as the corner speed will be significantly reduced and that was a reasonable leveller to the higher powered cars.

Targa West is becoming more and more of a joke. I did like how the newsletter asked for feedback in the 1st paragraph and then said a decision has been made already in the 2nd.

AASA events FTW. They are loosening up the restrictions on modern cars to run 3 inch exhausts, E85, bigger turbos etc. They seem to have an understanding of what the competitors want vs CAMS that just want to extract money from competitors pockets.

Whats next? Standard suspension and bendix ultimate pads?? Radial tyres are not going to slow the physical speed of the cars by an exceptional amount seeing as Targa West is one big drag race, what is will do is increase the braking distances and increase the accidents of the lower section of the field when the radials "let go". Any Radial tyre that has decent lateral grip tends to have the characteristics of grip grip grip then fail, which of course will end up with a forrest full of muppets.

Can ya tell I'm pissed off??

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I wouldn't disagree and at the end of the day it will not slow the GTR's down at all because no one makes an r-spec in that size so they will become even more the car to have.

Has anyone had a good look at the supp regs for targa tas (aasa) and compared them to targa west (cams). Further to what shane has said you really need two engines because for tas you can remove metal from the heads, internally turbos are free. Gearbox casing must be original but after that knock yourself out. I am just trying to see whether I can get away with running a twin scroll in a gc8. If it is allowed suddenly my car would be super competitive certainly in the early modern catergory and it would have to be faster than any gds simply because it would have to same power and 200kg's less.

Also in tassie you can run 1" bigger (both ways) with your rims which makes a massive difference to a gc8. a) tyres will last longer and b) bigger off the shelf brakes ftw.

I will know in the next week or so whether I am going to go to tassie. Just got to find a lazy $40k.

Brendon
Old 11-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
.....got to find a lazy $40k. Brendon
Checked your car's ashtray?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:55 PM
STI Master

CDR RA at standard level

^^^ I am hearing you Brendon and Shane.

Due to the CAMS regs and the high speed nature of the event, TW has not interested me too much. Really not keen to fit a peashooter exhaust and retune the car, possibly on $7/litre fuel , just to try to get some of the lost power back. Give me my 3" exhaust on pump fuel anyday.

As said, the new ruling wont hurt the GTRs as they havent run on R comps yet. (there is a toyo now apparently) Will certainly slow the rest of the field down though and widen the gap. My feeling is it will hurt the less powerful cars more. Doesn't paticularly bother me what tyres we run on. Would prefer R comps but a good street radial can still be a fast tyre. I am guessing this is some response from event organisers to address council concerns about road damage. Not likely to make fook all difference in that area, but at least they are seen to be doing something I guess, and the event can continue to run.

Hoping to have the car ready for targa south west and give that a run given I can run my car in current spec. (tyres and exhaust) If that goes well, (missus enjoys it and we survive ) like you Brendon, the plan will be to send the car east and have a crack at some of the AASA stuff over there. They definately have the rules closer to right in my opinion. Allows the type of car with common weekend club motorsport mods, (3" exhaust etc etc) to run. Re the rims rule I thought it was 2" in each direction. largely to allow the early cars on 15's (evo 1-3) and 16's (WRX,GTR) to run 17's or 18's and the associated brake packages. There was the ridiculous situation where guys had 17's and big brake packages they used at club motorsport events having to be pulled off the car and it returned to 15's and poxy brake packages. Real safe Guess I better get myself some 19x9.5's for the evo.

I guess we will have to watch it all unfold. Wonder if this ruling will be "tested" at TSW given it goes ahead??
496 CI Injected Big Block. Carbon positive???
Old 13-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

So to recap:
TW introduces more chicanes in the interest of safety
Council complains that chicanes/ slow points are eating up roads
TW introduces running tyres with potentially less grip

Anyone else see some irony in this?! LOL

Was speaking with Kim on the weekend, and agree with his comments that anyone who was planning to enter should actually be voicing their opinions straight to CAMS. Aparently their latest word is that they've 'consulted' the top drivers and 'all have agreed that running street tyres will be the better option'... if this is incorrect, it's probably a good idea to let them know??
Old 14-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooboy View Post
Aparently their latest word is that they've 'consulted' the top drivers and 'all have agreed that running street tyres will be the better option'... if this is incorrect, it's probably a good idea to let them know??
What a crock of shit. I very much doubt that quinn would have said boo because would have been pissed with them after being excluded. Jonesy would be all for it because he is on radials anyways and it will just put more day light between him and the herridges of this world.

Herridge would of said he doesn't car so long as they get rid of the chicanes.

Mcrae would not have bothered answering.

Old man thomas would have said yes because it would slow the son down and dylan would have objected.

Klark Quinn would have been vetoed by his old man.

I imagine Pete Major would of objected vehemently however last time I talked to him I dont think he was entering next year.

They never sent me an email.

Old man herridge said he wouldn't care because he is never going to catch the gtr's anyways.

I bet they never contacted searcy or furness.

My 2c.

Brendon
Old 14-12-2009, 05:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

pcracing at standard level

"top Drivers" brendon...lol
Old 14-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

Speaking with Ben, I think he thinks it's a load of rubbish. According to Kim Pete is pissed as well, but currently not doing anything about it I hear.

You also have good points Brendon, but my general point was all who are entering or considering it need to voice these opinions directly back to the source. Otherwise they generate this kind of crap and get away with it... it's like market research claiming that 1 out of 3 kids prefer rice crispies, when all they actually did is ask 1 out of 3 kids!!

By the same means, don't let them make a decision based on asking a few "top drivers" (and yes, I do say this with tongue in cheek!)
Old 15-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcracing View Post
"top Drivers" brendon...lol
Brendon, Dean and Alister were the only drivers leaving tyre marks on the road at every corner in the dry. No one else was pushing their tyres as hard as those three. (that's not just me pocket pissing either, the video shows it)
Old 15-12-2009, 11:20 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Papa Het at standard level

All the other competitors should vote with their feet and not enter. The message could not be any clearer than that!

Tags
2010, targa, west