Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Motorsport > Local Motorsport
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Ladies, please remove sand from vaginas.

Both sides have very valid arguments. I must say I drove the course slowly last year due to the hazards around. The old drive for your conditions thing applies. And to be fair, we're not going to beat Franz

I'd rather ppl be commended for doing track days, rather than having this 'I'm old skool targa etc' and this isn't really motorsport attitude. Without starting off in these events, people won't be able to become motorsport veterans down the track.
Old 14-11-2011, 11:59 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Fair call and perhaps the sarcasm was leveled poorly comment renegged

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 14-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Scoobie Noobie

FIL at standard level

Hey guys.... Here's a video from a camera hanging off the side of Franz's car on the night... The camera is a ReplayXD 1080...

Onboard with Franz at McRae Rallysprint - Perth Motorplex - YouTube

I also got a few photos during the night (for the competitors, I was hanging out down where the emergency exit road joins the return road, which is also you went from the track back onto the return road)

I have a small selection of photos up here and will work on getting the rest of the nights photos up on HighOctanePhotos.com before too long...
Old 14-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIL View Post
Hey guys.... Here's a video from a camera hanging off the side of Franz's car on the night... The camera is a ReplayXD 1080...

Onboard with Franz at McRae Rallysprint - Perth Motorplex - YouTube

I also got a few photos during the night (for the competitors, I was hanging out down where the emergency exit road joins the return road, which is also you went from the track back onto the return road)

I have a small selection of photos up here and will work on getting the rest of the nights photos up on HighOctanePhotos.com before too long...
Nice pics Phil. Got any of number 20? (blue GC8)

Anyone else out there got pics or links to pics?

Last edited by Saint_23; 14-11-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 15-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Scoobie Noobie

FIL at standard level

I have plenty more, and should have your car in there too... just need to catch up on sorting photos and they'll be online...
Old 15-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

My opinion -

If it doesnt absolutely need to be there, then it shouldnt be there.

Hierarchy of control states that we the easiest way to resolve a hazard is to remove it. Because this raises other issues, the next best solution is substitution... i.e some plastic cones etc. Id rather see some grass chewed then someone hit at an awkward speed/angle and hurt themselves. Big whoop, grass is very easily replaceable. Almost deliberately forcing competitors to incur financial loss and potential injury just seems stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-11-2011, 11:03 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

FranZ at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to FranZ Send a message via MSN to FranZ Send a message via Yahoo to FranZ

People running wide on that corner has led to a big concrete barrier being put in place for a couple of reasons, the first is that the grass and dirt foundation is getting trashed there, therefore affecting the world class multi million dollar venue - something the managers of the place do not like for their far larger national level events. The second is that people were getting wider and wider. 30-40m behind that corner is roughly where the timers (officials - not a piece of equipment) sit with their back to the corner writing on timecards and generally not paying attention to whats happening behind them. This concrete barrier effectively protects them and lessens the risk for a car hitting a person.

Regardless, the wall is there, slow down another 5-10kph to guarantee you aren't going to make a mistake and hit it! Lets look at the rest of the venue - why not remove all concrete and trees and kerbs and ditches and poles and everything - what does it then become... a skidpan!! Lets not forget that this event is based on a rally hence the rallysprint name. Rally is the most dangerous form of motorsport, there are no pretty little sand traps to catch you if you make a mistake. To many/most competitors this is what gives them the huge thrill of doing this type of event. At the end of the day, no risk, no reward. Drive accordingly, you'll have an absolute blast and be wishing there was more. Despite Todd's mistake, he still had an awesome time and rather than sitting on his hands he is already working on another car to get back out there. You don't see him whinging about the concrete being there. Mass respect to Todd.

2009 Wheels World EVO vs WRX Champion
2010 Wheels World EVO vs WRX Champion
2010/2011 Speedaware Rallysprint Champion
2011/2012 McRae Motorsport Rallysprint Champion
Old 15-11-2011, 11:22 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Dont get me wrong Franz, I have nothing but respect for you guys going out there and going hard.

And if I have anything resembling a budget I can assure you I will be out there giving it my best also. I dont, so I cant. Id love to be able to go to an event with the mindset that if I bin my car Ill just a new one tomorrow.

Regardless - this is not a national championship, there is no serious prizes above and beyond personal pride to be won. I dont know how many people value that pride over a bent car. The best drivers in the world often make mistakes, so the whole just drive to your level thing carries little weight. The less experienced people getting a taste for motorsport are likely to make a mistake too. Still not sure why it should result in a bent car.

I agree with protecting people though, that has to happen. Surely that could be resolved with placing people who are working the event so they are not in direct line of fire should a car go off.

As for grass, who cares? That is so far down the list of concerns its barely worth the letter strokes on this keyboard to discuss. The plex make enough money they can lay grass down before every event if they so choose.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by teejay; 15-11-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 15-11-2011, 01:42 PM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

I agree with both sides aswell. I dont have balls or budget big enough to do this event. I understand the risk is higher than the other events i do so i choose to stick to them.

But i cant see how saying "drive to your limits or below" is any good because as you say most people doing this event are "noobs" anyway. They dont know what their or their cars levels are. I know i dont and i have done a few other track days to try to learn.

Anyway i dont think the event should change anything as they are using a great facility who could easily say, "nup, not using it because we really dont need the few k we get from this event".

I hope it stays so i can watch the crazy boys and girls go out and have fun. Also its cool to see someone hit a wall.
Old 15-11-2011, 03:30 PM
STI Master

CDR RA at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
. Also its cool to see someone hit a wall.
No its not.
496 CI Injected Big Block. Carbon positive???

Tags
mcrae, rallysprint, sandy vaginas, series