Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Motorsport > Local Motorsport
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 12:33 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

zver333 at standard level

Thanks kid. I had a go at the free RAC event and had a great time there.

Here we go, had a look at No Limits Car Club: 2012 Event Dates and Details
Entry and membership $155
>1kg fire extinguisher - $65+
CAMs approved triangle for location of battery - $?
helmet - need to get that - $?
flush/bleed brakes - don't know how to do
high temp brake fluid and disks - not sure and how much?
probably need oil cooler too - $100 or so
CAMS 2 speed license - $?
Insurance - regular wont cover, who will?
05 impreza 2.0R - can it handle barb?

Not looking good for me at the moment. I really want to go and I want to know exactly how much it will cost me and I need to be sure that I will pass scruitineering.

If anyone can fill in the blank i would be grateful.
Old 27-03-2012, 03:10 AM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Entry and membership $155 You could also consider joining the Lotus/Porsche/almost any other kind of car but a WRX Club of WA (aka WRXclubWA) for $60 per year. You get discounts off the entry fees for the events that they run, a subscription to their magazine, plenty of cruises, monthly beer-drinking meetings and all round some good value for just $45 more the No Limits (aaaand I just remembered you still need a No Limits membership to enter No Limits-run events. Phoey! Oh well, join both.)

>1kg fire extinguisher - $65+ STechnic can save you some run around by supplying and fitting an extinguisher mount across the bottom of your driver and/or passenger seat rail. I think they supply extinguishers too but I can't remember... see signature.

CAMs approved triangle for location of battery - $? eBay or check local race places (e.g. Revolution Racegear, GoGear, McRae Motorsport) and some workshops may have them.

helmet - need to get that - $? If you think you'll do more than just one or two events, don't buy the cheapest you can find; justify some more money. I recently bought some expensive new gear and I did a fair bit of research and talking to the experts before I splashed out. Let's just say that an $80 helmet is the next worst thing to wearing no helmet at all!

flush/bleed brakes - don't know how to do There's definitely a few threads on here if you spend a little time using the search feature. Someone might even shoot you a PM to help you out if they see this

high temp brake fluid and disks - not sure and how much? Given your 'beginner' nature and the fact that you're in a N/A subie, you're unlikely to be pushing the car and its brakes toward their limit. I haven't done Barbs before so i can't speak from experience, but I'd say that obviously fresh pads, rotors and fluid is going to be best but I wouldn't say that they're all necessary together.
However, pads are a must. Standard pads will die soon into the night.
High-temp fluid is probably the next most important thing over the brake rotors. Boiling fluid not only ruins your laps when you're out there but it will stuff the feel of your brakes until you change it for fresh fluid; the brakes simply won't do their job properly and that's no good considering it's a daily driver.
Upgrading the rotors means that the rotors will withstand higher temperatures. Someone here can clarify whether or not higher-spec rotors are a good idea for a newcomer to Barbs. I'd say it's the least important thing you need to look at brake-wise on this occasion.

probably need oil cooler too - $100 or so Nope.

CAMS 2 speed license - $? Yep. Head to cams.com.au and get onto it ASAP; it could take a while to post out to you so the sooner the better.

Insurance - regular wont cover, who will? 99% of people here wouldn't have even thought about insuring their car for this stuff, myself included. If you want 'race car' insurance, you'll pay for it. People that do these events accept that you could damage your car, possibly critically – however, the risk is fairly minimal compared to other venues, given the wide run offs and sand traps. If you're doing a lot of racing and your car is worth it then you'd look into proper insurance. Here you are anyway:
CAMS - Confederation of Australian Motor Sport

Limited health insurance is compulsory; in fact it's automatic whenever you enter an event. It's covered in your CAMS licence and entry fee. At least that's what I read on the internet. Look at CAMS.com.au for more info.

05 impreza 2.0R - can it handle barb? Take the right measures and listen to advice on how to preserve the car (talk to people on the night too) and it should! Let someone with the name Franz, Jamie, Doug or Andy drive your car and it won't.
If you want square tyres, talk to Steve.
If you want to blow your gearbox, talk to Rob.
If you want to wreck your handbrake, talk to me.
If you want to launch your car with traction control on, talk to Kym.
If you want a wobbly flywheel, talk to... (we won't go there)

Most importantly, put only a tiny bit of weight on what I've said (it is the internet after all), combine it with your own research and what the experts tell you, and you should have a better idea than when you started. I hope.
TheDoctor and zver333 like this.
Old 27-03-2012, 08:11 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

MCLARKE473 at standard level

Do they do the short track at night time? Or long track track aswell. Keen to have a crack at the short loop
Old 27-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

Alex summed it up pretty well...Stechnic do supply and fit extinguishers, although you will need to get them tagged for about $5.

Also CAMS L2S will set you back about $103. As for the blue triangle, if you are cheap you can just use painters tape

Helmet house in Vic Park for helmets, or Go Gear, or the bike shops near the causeway.
Old 27-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

New tagged fire extinguishers are around the 30 mark. Ensure you get a cams approved one.
To be cams approved it has to be secured to the bracket (it comes with) by a metal strap.
Old 27-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Scoobie Noobie

2.2ts at standard level

Getting my application in now.
Old 27-03-2012, 07:58 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

zver333 at standard level

Ok, researching brakes, helmet, extinguisher and painters tape. Cheap and broke are 2 different things...

Thanks for advice Alex.
Old 27-03-2012, 07:59 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sik em evo4 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX. View Post
Entry and membership $155 You could also consider joining the Lotus/Porsche/almost any other kind of car but a WRX Club of WA (aka WRXclubWA) for $60 per year. You get discounts off the entry fees for the events that they run, a subscription to their magazine, plenty of cruises, monthly beer-drinking meetings
Alex, out of 108 members(aka WRXclubWA) there is only 21 that are not Subaru’s, also including Evo’s, VWs, Mazda’s, & a Toyota.

Last edited by ImPreSiV; 27-03-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

You forgot the lotus's too!
Old 27-03-2012, 09:38 PM
STI Master

Spektre knows their stuff

Membership for No Limits is only $10 a year.

Long track for the first hour or so usually then onto the short track so you get best of both worlds.

Come out and try it, careful though, it's fucking addictive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#217 Street Cars WA
Full 04 STi drivetrain
08 JDM 207
Garrett 3076 xtr

Tags
10th, 19th, april, back, barbs, car, club, limits