Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Loggers
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
I know that but the idea of running to the computer every few minutes or printing out A4's when a small booklet that would fit in the glove box for us elderly more forgetful types would just be more convenient.
Way of the world these days. Alot of things you buy these days only provide an electronic copy of the manual.
I believe theres a copy of the manual on the SD card as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Impakt at standard level

Correct. The sd card has the manual and a few example wallpapers
Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Cinaber at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY99 View Post
Yep! When the sun is low (morning/arvo) and anywhere other than directly in front of you, it's pretty difficult to see the screen even on full brightness. I have an anti-glare screen protector on mine which marginally improved things (probably not worth the effort imo).
Are you talking about where its currently mounted - on the steering column or before in the bottom right corner of windshield?

Also if you dont mind, can i ask how you mounted it on the steering column?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impakt View Post
When the cable is first plugged in it flashes but the ecudatascan stops it later on.

You don't need to turn the ignition on for it to power up. The obdii port has constant power.

It does lose time/date when you switch it off. It saves the timezone and sets the time once it gets a gps signal.

Sorry for the short responses at the moment, on holidays and typing this on a phone.
Had a look today, you don't need the ignition on to power the unit up, but it does need to be on for the unit to accesss the Subs ECU, and to set up the on screen dash.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Well it looks like I've possibly just sent $450 up the shitter......It won't connect to any of the ECU settings (yes I'm slack, just tried it for the first time) no matter which one I try it just says OBD 11 will not connect & I tried every one so it's getting power but not reading the computer (possibly because it's a conversion??) but I'm sure they wouldn't have messed with that particular yellow ECU plug & unfortunately my son borrowed my other car for a week so I can't check it on that one.
There are 5 wires going to the computer plug & only 4 on the DataScan plug, the only ECU it seems to recognise is the second one down...under the OBD 11, it comes up with something like 27protocols recognised but as soon as I hit the green tick it tells me it won't recognise the computer again, I tried with ignition on & engine running AGHHHHHHH......looks like an expensive clock lol.
Hopefully it can be sorted.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Impakt at standard level

What wires on the yellow plug are connected? Do they match up with the 4 on the ecudatascan plug?

I personally test all units before they get shipped but am happy to test yours again if you send it back.

Sounds like you should only be using the Subaru select I Protocol too
Old 07-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

There is a red wire with a silver dot (5th) which does not match but the other 4 have a corresponding wire, I plugged it into my computer when I first got it & it fired up ok, when I went out to the car a short time ago it fired up but would shut down after about 5min with the ignition on & wouldn't fire up again until I turned ignition off & back on again...is this normal? I managed to get gauges etc to come up but they didn't read anything. I tried select 1 first, then 2 then OBD 11, then every other one with no luck (several times) it would probably be easier to try someone elses unit on my plug or plug mine into another car than sending it back.
Thanks mate.
Tom.

Ok, just went out and checked, this is on an MY97 STI ECU.

Matching pins between plugs below

Datascan plug...........ECU plug

Black........................Black with red
Green.......................Green with silver dot
Red..........................Yellow with red
Yellow......................Green with white
...............................Red with silver dot
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 07-10-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:32 PM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinaber View Post
Are you talking about where its currently mounted - on the steering column or before in the bottom right corner of windshield?

Also if you dont mind, can i ask how you mounted it on the steering column?
In both mounting positions unfortunately. I guess that it is somewhat better on the steering column though.

I don't mind at all I've literally wedged the unit between the steering column and the dash. I put it there for a test fitting with the intention of fabricating a bracket but it sat in there so perfectly that it hasn't moved since. The little badge on the front of the unit is made from soft plastic and acts as a stopper. Maybe I got lucky with the height at which I had my steering wheel but I'm sure that you'll be able to get it to work.

Also, make sure that you pop out the OBD plug from your dash and hook it all up behind the steering column - that way you'll have a professional looking install.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM

Impakt at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
There is a red wire with a silver dot (5th) which does not match but the other 4 have a corresponding wire, I plugged it into my computer when I first got it & it fired up ok, when I went out to the car a short time ago it fired up but would shut down after about 5min with the ignition on & wouldn't fire up again until I turned ignition off & back on again...is this normal? I managed to get gauges etc to come up but they didn't read anything. I tried select 1 first, then 2 then OBD 11, then every other one with no luck (several times) it would probably be easier to try someone elses unit on my plug or plug mine into another car than sending it back.
Thanks mate.
Tom.

Ok, just went out and checked, this is on an MY97 STI ECU.

Matching pins between plugs below

Datascan plug...........ECU plug

Black........................Black with red
Green.......................Green with silver dot
Red..........................Yellow with red
Yellow......................Green with white
...............................Red with silver dot

Don't bother with any protocol except Subaru Select I as none of them will work. If you can't get it tested on another car contact me on the contact page at ecudatascan.com and I'll help you there.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Cinaber at standard level

[QUOTE=MY99;498406]In both mounting positions unfortunately. I guess that it is somewhat better on the steering column though.

I don't mind at all I've literally wedged the unit between the steering column and the dash. I put it there for a test fitting with the intention of fabricating a bracket but it sat in there so perfectly that it hasn't moved since. The little badge on the front of the unit is made from soft plastic and acts as a stopper. Maybe I got lucky with the height at which I had my steering wheel but I'm sure that you'll be able to get it to work.

Also, make sure that you pop out the OBD plug from your dash and hook it all up behind the steering column - that way you'll have a professional looking install.
QUOTE]

Great! If it sits like that and doesnt require anything else, will give it a crack over the weekend.

Cheers

Tags
ecudatascan