Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Mattr!x at standard level

ye havn't got a tbe at all!!!
my mates car who i copied all mods with (except i got the bigger tmic) has 165kw @ 14.3psi not worried here about peak power but his torque and linear power delivery is a lot smoother etc mine also doesn't hold the torque after 3500rpm so its a very nothing nothing bamn! 3500 rpm boost spike and then dies.....
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

The reason why its so lame is because of your exhaust system, its like pushing shit uphill to try and vent exhaust gasses.

I'd like to think of an exhaust system like a straw.. if you cut a straw in half and then weld on a slightly larger diameter on the end section, you're not really doing much to address the restriction up on the front bit.

Making an engine breathe better is your primary area of concern, not comparing your mates car against your own and drawing some rather large assumptions between each.

my 2c..
Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Hi Intra,

Thanks for you post and info. It's been hotly debated b4 all over but i and many others who have dyno proof beleive that you don't need to change to a tbe to get a good result from the td04. Change turbo and yes apsolutely change the exhaust system! as i said b4 i wasn't looking for high peak power just a lot better torque delivery etc..
cars are identical - same mods - same stock exhaust> (guttet muffler or hi flo canon)
one car (mine) was tuned in 25mins his was tuned for 4 hours on the dyno and everything was tweaked - that is where the difference is.... actually his has the 3port boost solenoid, something that i requested but alas....

wasn't aware that i was drawing any assumptions between 2 cars that i know very well...?

Last edited by Mattr!x; 12-11-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Hah, here we go..

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattr!x
Hi Intra,

Thanks for you post and info. It's been hotly debated b4 all over but i and many others who have dyno proof beleive that you don't need to change to a tbe to get a good result from the td04. Change turbo and yes apsolutely change the exhaust system! as i said b4 i wasn't looking for high peak power just a lot better torque delivery etc..
cars are identical - same mods - same stock exhaust> (guttet muffler or hi flo canon)
one car (mine) was tuned in 25mins his was properly tuned for 4 hours on the dyno and everything was tweaked - that is where the difference is.... actually his has the 3port boost solenoid, something that i requested but alas....

wasn't aware that i was drawing any assumptions between 2 cars that i know very well...?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Where's my TD04 plot to compare that one too?

----------------

Here we go:

Yup, TD04 definately doesn't respond to an exhaust or other mods.

To be blunt, who ever told you that needs to lay down the crack pipe.

A TD04 is a very under rated turbo and can be very enjoyable on a daily driver car more than a massive snail that makes some silly peak hp figure.

Also, don't go comparing your graph to others too easily. It is only a tool to help tuning.

Was it on the same dyno? Different dynos 'smooth' plots differently.
Was it the same day at the same temperature? Temperature and humidity effects horsepower.
Each engine is different, with some freak engines performing better than others. It will all come down to how the engine has been treated over time.
Your graph shows you holding the torque from 3500 till near 6000 rpm. Boost will of course taper down as rpm's increase. So why are you saying there is nothing after 3500?

Only way to really settle these problems is hit the drags as that is the true test to how 'powerful' a car is.

Last edited by Kato; 12-11-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

awesome Kato!
and thanks Intra for the info!

Kato what mods did you have with that tune and what boost :P ?

Cheers guys!

Matt

Last edited by Mattr!x; 12-11-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

You gotta keep exhaust gases hot and flowing fast (we should all know that kiddies ). Best way to do that is to have a decent TBE and get it coated/wrapped etc - that way heat wont escape and your directing as much of the availible exhaust energy through the turbo, giving you torque.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattr!x
awesome Kato!
and thanks Intra for the info!

Kato what mods did you have with that tune and what boost :P ?

Cheers guys!

Matt
That was pushing some stupid levels of boost, probably around 1.7-2 bar with a lot of supporting mods to allow for it (sti tmic, waterspray, 816cc injectors).

As said by others, its a good graph for a stock exhaust. Put a full 3" on, good tmic and smash a little more boost on and you have a very very quick off the line weapon. Runs out of puff at high rpm, but bulk fun around town.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

thanks guys,

all very helpfull!
I think for me now that will do as far as mods maybe get a tbe and a 3port and retune of course but probably only going to get me another 10-15hp but top might be a little better and hold on etc - maybe! - i don't see the value in going to bigger turbo and more lag etc...

heheh well give me a little while i guess!!!

the my09 is looking interesting to mod! can't wait to take it for a test drive!
Closed Thread

Tags
dak_dak_boom, dyno results, horsepower, hub, roller