Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Skip72 at standard level
Default Worth converting my 95gx impreza?

Wohoo first post. I just had a quick question and i thought id ask you guys before i go making an ass of myself at a mechanics since ima total noob.

I have a 1995 GX Impreza (front wheel drive) that has a pretty good body. My question is..is it worth or is it even possible to just buy a rear diff/drive shaft/wrx engine, and put them all into my GX impreza (via a mechanic etc)? or would it cost more roughly than just buying a my00 wrx?

any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated

-skip
Old 21-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Its been done. Depends if you think its worth the effort. Conversion is probably only worth it to you, until you decide to sell the car. Until then, its not a waste of money. Probably would be heaps easier to source a MY00 WRX Half Cut, or even STI or RA...

Do it properly.
Old 21-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

I am currently doing exactly that. I have a 96 GX hatch and bought the running gear from a smashed 98 WRX. If you are doing the work yourself its worth it if not then dont bother to put it nicely. Seeing as you have a 95 model you would be best to buy the same model front cut to suit it or you will have problems with mating the dash to the wiring harness etc. So far i have done the rear end conversion which involed removing the rear axle assembly and fuel tank and replacing them both with the AWD items. That was a days work in itself. If you do go ahead be prepared for little hiccups along the way, such as the AWD fuel tank straps are different to the FWD. I am doing the work on my car myself so to me i think its worth it, but as an estimate here goes,

Front cut with wiring loom and rear diff and fuel tank etc - $3500 - $4000 unless you want sti then its gonna be near double that.
Additional items you will need along the way - $1000
and at a guess i would say for the labour you would be looking at around $1500 - $2000

So in saying that budget around $7000 to get a shop to do it.
If you sold your car and put $7000 towards it would you be ahead?
Old 21-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

I think it depends on how long you want to keep the car, like GX said, your's is worth roughly 7g, conversion roughly 7g but with a good low K motor & box so you are looking at 14ish thousand, if you were to spend the same money on a 2nd hand WRX you'll probably be looking at some pretty high repair bills fairly soon, Give the guys at JWS a call, they can supply & fit all the bits, if you buy a complete half cut you'll also have quite a lot of stuff that is left over which you can sell & will offset the cost of the conversion probably bringing it down to 5g.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 21-09-2007, 05:29 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

the kiwi at standard level

short answer. cheaper to buy a wrx.

long answer.

depending on what you want to do, and what you can achieve yourself. I have a 99 rx and was considering doing the same.

i've decided against it because no matter how much you save doing it yourself, you will still miss out on the fruit. eg, the momo steering wheels, nice bucket seats etc.

however, if you planed to replace these items anyway, go for it.

im not an expert, but i believe any gc8 engine will mechanically fit which gives you a few years of range for sourcing an engine (damn engine must be younger than shell rule). the ECU and loom is different regardless, so spend a bit more on a sparky and get the newest, best condition engine you can.

*disclaimer, yada yada. never done this or know anywone to do a scooby conversion etc...
(please correct me if im wrong)
Old 21-09-2007, 06:26 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

hybridgx at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kiwi
short answer. cheaper to buy a wrx.

long answer.

depending on what you want to do, and what you can achieve yourself. I have a 99 rx and was considering doing the same.

i've decided against it because no matter how much you save doing it yourself, you will still miss out on the fruit. eg, the momo steering wheels, nice bucket seats etc.

however, if you planed to replace these items anyway, go for it.

im not an expert, but i believe any gc8 engine will mechanically fit which gives you a few years of range for sourcing an engine (damn engine must be younger than shell rule). the ECU and loom is different regardless, so spend a bit more on a sparky and get the newest, best condition engine you can.

*disclaimer, yada yada. never done this or know anywone to do a scooby conversion etc...
(please correct me if im wrong)
Not always, the earlier wrx engines you can pickup up for bugger all now. Depends how much you can pick up a doner car for of course (gx, lx, rx). Its the later model wrxs that start getting costly converting, even finding them. I cant remeber the name of a company which sells the early ej20T engines, Ask Mister Two. Eastern states company but very cheap, and tested engines too.
The costly part will probably finding someone to do it for you. I recommend Tenagah or Fatsports.

MY04 STI Forester - v7 STI TMIC, Blitz Nurspec cat back.
MY98 'wannabe STI' GT Forester

Last edited by hybridgx; 21-09-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 21-09-2007, 08:10 PM

Mister Two at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridgx
I cant remeber the name of a company which sells the early ej20T engines, Ask Mister Two. Eastern states company but very cheap, and tested engines too.

That company would be Ichiban.

www.ichiban.com.au

Can Supply engines and halfcuts much cheaper than anyone locally even after you add freight to get the engine/halfcut into Perth.

Last time I called for a price on a full 1996 WRX motor about three months back (the one with the td05) its was approx $900 plus freight. It had a few months of warranty and was compression tested OK.

Many of the RSLC guys use them and by all accounts they seem very good.

What your really going to need is a full halfcut with panels and rear end assembly. That way, you will have everything you will need to complete the project with nothing else to buy.

It would also be worth doing a 100K service and water pump on the new engine while its out of the half cut and before it goes into your shell. Its not much extra for the service parts to do that and it will give you that extra security and peace of mind. Also I would recommend to replace ALL the coolant lines on the engine before it goes in as yours and the front cut will be getting on in age now and the last thing you need is to lose all your coolant over an old split hose and blow your head gasket.

Last edited by Mister Two; 21-09-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 21-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Elrico at standard level

Not only Engines you have to worry about. The brakes, eg 4spot MY00 GC8 calipers, the rotors will need to be replaced if you actually want to stop you vehicle. Suspension will have to be in decent working order. Pads?

All these things add up and its easier to buy a WRX. For a 95' WRX you'd be much cheaper buying one.
Old 21-09-2007, 07:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

hybridgx at standard level

rims too, i rode around on 14"s on my wrx, suspension was stock gx, looked like a forester/impreza

MY04 STI Forester - v7 STI TMIC, Blitz Nurspec cat back.
MY98 'wannabe STI' GT Forester
Old 21-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

worth converting if you can save yourself money on labour, plus dont look for anything newer then MY96, as newer bits around the dash, steering column & mountings wont fit.

Long live the WRC

Tags
95gx, converting, impreza, worth