Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Honestly, why are you basing your ECU choice upon what laptop you are going to get and what port to use??

Get a decent ECU, then worry about it later.
Old 13-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Up_Rated

who said I was basing me ECU choice on which Laptop I buy, I will be buying a top end ECU whether or no the Laptop would handleing it, Im just asking for advise to check to see what ECU's use which type of connection --- is this ok with you?????

Thanks for your input.
Old 13-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

iv used the usb to seriel port works great the drivers actually trick windows xp to beliving its a physical comport

which is good for these programs out there which only use a physical com port

and the last thing ya wana do is buy an old laptop for the damn serial port
Old 14-07-2005, 08:37 AM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Serial Ports are able to speak up to baud rates of 115200 standard!

Does not matter which laptop you get as you'll be restricted to this baud rate anyways.

Better option is to select your ecu (either based on either your own research or your tuner of choice) then get a laptop.

Most ECU programs to date would do okay on a pentium iii 500 (dont hold me to that) after all its just displaying data as quick as the serial port is able to send/recieve.
Old 14-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_Rated
who said I was basing me ECU choice on which Laptop I buy, I will be buying a top end ECU whether or no the Laptop would handleing it, Im just asking for advise to check to see what ECU's use which type of connection --- is this ok with you?????

Thanks for your input.
No need to get narky, it just seemed that you were choosing an ECU based on what port it would use on your laptop.

I'm not bagging you or anything, just I've never come across someone who has wanted to tune their own ECU before...good luck with it and let us know how you go!
Old 14-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Up_Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC
No need to get narky, it just seemed that you were choosing an ECU based on what port it would use on your laptop.

I'm not bagging you or anything, just I've never come across someone who has wanted to tune their own ECU before...good luck with it and let us know how you go!
Yeah, its not just for tunning i want it for logging etc as well also i need one for work so thought id better make sure it would compatible is stead of buying two....

cheers
Old 14-07-2005, 12:24 PM
1cut808

Default Laptop

I use a Toshiba 480CDT with Windows 98 to run my MICROTECH tuning program and so does a friend of mine. You will find that most nearly all ECU's will have a serial port connection and the older Lappy's suit this better. You may also need a dongle depending on your ECU choice, so try not to use a Lappy that has to have an adapter, otherwise you will have 4 inches (over exageration) of crap hanging off the back before you even attach it to your ECU!!!!

Got a spare one if your interested? $200.00. Bloody cheap for tuning and working on.

PM me if interested??

Last edited by 1cut808; 14-07-2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: PM

Tags
ecu, laptop, type