Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA
Default Dccd (1997 Ra)

hey guys, just picked up 1997 version 3 STi RA 2 days ago and im fiddling around with DCCD settings... can anyone give me some idea of what the actual splits are front/rear on the different settings..there are 4 + a lock setting

the DCCD indicator is in the middle of the tacho and speedo and is currently set to the green setting (which i found is nicest to drive around car parks etc as it doesnt clunk) there are 3 other orange settings and a lock setting. the logical thing to me seems the more you scroll up the little guagey thing, more drive is sent forwards?

i did a search and heaps of threads popped up did some searching/sifting in those but none really gave me any specifics. any information greatly appreciated, the manual is in jap so no luck there

cheers fellas

EDIT: had it on the highest orange setting and slow turning close to full lock was like having a locker diff...whole end rear end of the car was skipping along behind hahah...think ill save that for the track!

JDM version 3 STi RA

Last edited by V3 RA; 20-12-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 21-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

green is "open"
red/lock is "locked"

everything in between is on a scale, just because the orange light is on doesn't mean its exactly 75% etc, and just because a certain light is lit up doesn't mean its exactly the same setting you had it on last.

basically the more you scroll it forward, the more the centre diff will bind. full rear is tailiest (35:65 split) full front is 4WD (50:50 lock)
Old 22-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level

cheers mate, keeping it on green haha

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 22-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

there is a really good thread on dccd on www.type-ra.co.uk

I dont know that it gives you the % splits for each setting but explains how it works.

Brendon
Old 22-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level

thanks mate

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 22-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

just don't lock it when your making tight turns in carparks or doing slow u-turns, it will make a horrible clunking sound as it winds up and will put all sorts off stress on your driveline, much like a 4wd withg the front diffs locks on tarmac

i lock my dccd up if its pissing down with rain as it takes away that 'taily' feeling you get with 65% rear drive (almost feels like no front drive at all)

i also lock up the dccd in the dry for spirited driving, have a bit of a play with it, mine feels mad as i dial it up through long sweeping corners whilst applying the loud pedal, can actually feel the drive going more towards the front as it 'pulls' you through the corner nicely
Old 22-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level

yeah havent had a good play with it with some spirited driving as of yet still getting familiar with it.... I can imagine it being great in the wet.

Is it best practise to stop and then change the settings? Or can you change on the fly with no damage?

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 22-12-2008, 09:21 AM

you'll be fine mucking around with it on the fly mate

its also great fun in the wet in open mode, el drifto
Old 22-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level
Thumbs up

Quote:
How about info on how to use the DCCD & what the dash lights mean?

good idea, im sure most of us have at some point worried about the strange "clunking" noise when driving at slow speeds with the bias set equally
im always forgetting to alter the dccd when its slippy and having the rear wheels spinning out

but heres some good info on the topic

I asked a guy i know who lives in Japan to have the owners manual translated for me in respect to the STi TypeR/RA DCCD Centre diff controller as i felt the information in the owners manuals i had read did not give a clear indication of how it should be used, i also noticed some sections of the translated manual were missing.

It took about a week to get done, this is the result. Yes you can drive on tarmac using the diff, including using full lock! Yes you will get some vibration if you run with the display in the orange range, that is normal and is not causing damage to the diff. You can get vibrtion and shock loadings under heavy braking due to variations in front/rear rotational rates, that is normal. You will get transmition wind up in slow manouvers when the diff is in the orange, you can cancel this out by just lifting the handbrake until the handbrake light illuminates. The reason the display has orange/green colours is to indicate at what point you will start to get some posible shuddering in slow manouvers. Also the diff is not a six way position, its infinately adjustable using a potentiometer with 2 switched ends.

Below is the translation.

DRIVER'S CONTROL CENTER DIFF
(SKETCH5046)
(SKETCH5852)
The intent of this mechanism is to adjust the diff lock ratio of the LSD (limited slip differential) as necessary.
Adjusting the dial to "diff free" (indicator: green, empty square, empty triangle) under normal driving conditions, and "diff lock" (bright orange solid triangle) on gravel, snow, in the rain, is effective (probably means suggested). By setting the diff lock ratio as necessary, depending on the various roads and running conditions, unrivaled driving mobility will be demonstrated.

WARNING!
This is not an all purpose vehicle. DO NOT overestimate its abilities. Please use appropriate discretion and drive at safe speeds where there are sudden braking, sudden turns, sudden curbs, snowy roads, slippery roads, etc.

USING THE CONTROL DIAL
(SKETCH5048)
The dial is located next to the handbrake lever, rotating it fully forward is diff free, rotating it fully backward is diff lock. You can continuously change the diff lock ratio using the settings in between.
DIFF FREE: No front and rear LSD (Front to rear power distribution=36:64)
DIFF LOCK: The front and rear have an almost direct connection. (Front to rear power distribution=front/rear load distribution)
(CHART1)

INDICATOR (ON THE METER DISPLAY)
The diff lock ratio is displayed at one of six settings, as it is linked to the control dial. The upper lighted block (orange solid triangle) indicates a greater direct connection.
The true lock ratio can be continuously changed.

ADVICE
• The indicator is the criterion.
• Regardless of what the dial settings are, LOCK will illuminate for one second after the key is turned to the on position.
• At night, while your driving lights are on, the display may appear to go dark for a moment, but this is normal.

CANCELLATION OF DIFFLOCK
Even if the DCCD is set to LOCK (orange), by pulling the hand brake lever, it will automatically go to DIFF FREE, moving all power to the rear wheels. (linked to the brake warning light) However, the indicator will not change.
Once you release the hand brake lever, the DCCD will return to its proper setting.

TIGHT CORNER BRAKING PHENOMENON (makes more sense once you read the following)
When the indicator is orange while driving on dry tarmac/asphalt, corners, and even reverse parking, due to the rotational difference between the front and rear wheels, there are cases where heavy vibration and noise may occur during braking.
Though this is not out of the ordinary, and to resolve this "problem", you can simply either set the DCCD to DIFF FREE or pull the hand brake enough so that the brake warning light illuminates.
While you may feel a light "shock" when using the control dial during quick acceleration and tight cornering, due to the movement of the center diff, this is normal.

WARNING!
• DO NOT use the DCCD while any of the wheels are in mid air.
• Set the DCCD to DIFF FREE while the car is stopped.
• Set the DCCD to DIFF FREE while the car is being pulled or towed. The car can only be towed/pulled either by rope or on a rollback. DO NOT pull or tow the car on only its front or rear wheels. Please see page 195 for more information on warnings related to towing.
• ALWAYS set the DCCD to DIFF FREE when using the emergency spare tire. Change or fix the tire as soon as possible.
• When the center diff requires repair (control unit, disconnected wires, shorted wires, voltage issues, etc.) the DCCD reverts back to DIFF FREE and the indicator (at which you last had it set) should flash at 1 second intervals. Please go to your nearest Subaru dealer immediately. Once a problem arises, even if the unit regains power, it will not reset itself until the engine key is set to the off position.
Old 22-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTASY
WARNING!
This is not an all purpose vehicle. DO NOT overestimate its abilities. Please use appropriate discretion and drive at safe speeds where there are sudden braking, sudden turns, sudden curbs, snowy roads, slippery roads, etc.
LOL so i can't take my forry on the beach then... doh

Tags
1997, dccd, ra