Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Sir AntiLag

tropikal at standard level
Default Battery Draining....

Hi guys, just last week i realized my car struggles to turn over when starting after a long period of time. I charged the battery four about 7 hours on slow charge toped up the water levels ect. When i tried to start the car after charge process it turned over Perfectly. Later on that night my car was at a mates place for some repairs, When i picked the car up the next morning he told me that the battery crapped it self and did not turn over , he had to jump it!. So wehn i picked my car up i drove it home and swapped the battery from my other car (battery was in perfect working order), The car started fine for about a day till i realized that that battery as well was slowly struggling to turn the car over the next morning.

Could it be that there is something draining the battery?? Or maby the alternator is faulty? coz the 2nd battery i used has had no problems in my other veichle!. Thnx guys
Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Flat Four Father

SPEC IV at standard level

alternator not charging your battery.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Bad earth? common fault
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM
STI Master

Shinobiken at standard level

I dun think this is alternator not charging, but something's draining battery when the car is off and the key's out.

Put a multimeter in series between the battery positive terminal and the positive battery cable (you'll prolly have to set the meter to DC current and plug the multimeter terminals to 10A unfuse - this will potentially break ya multimeter if ya car is draining at more than 10A tho, but its not likley it'll drain this much). you should be able to measure how much current the car is draining when the key's are out.

I've seen this before on someone else's car, it happened after he got a 2nd hand alternator put in. Can't remember what it was, could be the alternator itself of the wiring is wrong when the dodgy mechanic put the alternator in. I measured it and it was draining at 1.4Amps. I think normal condition the car would be in the milli amp range.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Sir AntiLag

tropikal at standard level

All sorted boys, My remote wire came out of my amp, which had it running constanly off the battery! thanks for the help folks =)

Tags
battery, draining