Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzabozza
Mainly trying to get some troubleshooting done. I think it's important that I note my observations too rather than just handing the car over and saying "fix it".

Other issue is a live SoR and use the car for work so it's a real mission getting it to the workshop etc.

Daz

I understand that you're trying to trouble shoot mate.

If you don't fully undestand how all the system in your car work and how to diagnose a problem when it arises, you may cause a bigger problem (i.e smashed pistons from detonation).

All I'm trying to prevent is you having to walk to work on Tuesday!

Turbo + Lean on boost = iminent engine failure / engine rebuild time.

Your car feels gutless because the engine is detonating from going lean, the ECU retards the timing to try to stop the detonation, hence is feels sluggish..............the ecu is trying to protect the engine. every time you reset the ecu it goes good until it detonates and the ecu pulls the timing again.........When the ecu 'decides' it can't prevent the detonation (or it gets confused by conflicting sensor input) it goes into 6psi limp home mode.

Stop boosting it until it's looked at!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 25-04-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 25-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Hopefully you haven't already done some damage that will lead to premature failure. Take what you have noted and give that information to a workshop to try diagnose and stop trying to find out any more. All you will do is give them so many thoughts that they will ignore it all anyway and test the way they would if you hadn't told them a thing. You will probably be up for a new short block if you keep screwing around with it.

If you can borrow a working AFM for a test drive then do otherwise stop driving the thing till you can get to a shop and say I think the AFM might be a bit dodgy and you want them to test that first and leave the rest up to them.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

daggyboy at standard level

Dropped in to ASG today for some further discussion / troubleshooting.

I appear to have 2 seperate issues -

Turbo peaking at 6psi - The car can run fine until turned off and back on again. e.g. Shaun took it for a run after fitting a replacement AFM sensor for me to trial and the car was normal. He parked and turned the car off. I got in started her up and left. Presto the car felt flat and only reaching 6psi. Shaun is leaning toward an electrical fault being the issue and improved the earth to the ECU and cleaned the battery terminals. ECU reset brought the turbo back up to full PSI.

Fueling / Lean - I'm using my original AFM as we thought we ruled this out as being the fault (thought we only had the one problem). Drove through peak hour traffic and left the car idling for about 10 minutes (waiting for my girlfriend). I noticed the revs when idling started to vary up to 1200rpm and down almost to stalling point. Same problem as before when accelerating and decel it feels like it's sticking or burning off excess fuel before the revs drop off again.

Disconnected the AFM again as a test and the car didn't stall this time round but did throw a CEL. Idle sits around 1100rpm with or without the AFM attached. Idle rpm drop off significantly whenever the electric fans turn on.

Hopefully these symptoms will still be present when I get it looked at next.

Daz
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Ghost in the machine ey.
Old 22-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

daggyboy at standard level

A quick update to this thread.... it's been a while

The not able to reach full boost issue disappeared after Sean reflashed the ECU and checked that no limiters where in place (not sure what that means).

The odd idle / rev issue disappeared after finding that the TPS connector was not seated correctly.... such simple things creating big probs!

The car has still been tempermental and I have a couple of issues that have come about over the last week which I'll discuss in a new thread.

Daz

Tags
boost, full, reaching