Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Wheel Spacers (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/26975-wheel-spacers.html)

ITGRIPS 29-05-2009 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=SCOOTER]10mm is pushing it with standard wheel stud. You will just have to check how much of the thread is been used. I'm chasing some 5mm ones for mine which should be fine.

EDIT: forgot to say, spoke to a guy from tyre shop and he reckons that if cops find spacers its a red sticker??? Don't know if he was just bullshitting me???[/QUOTE]

yellow sticker yes, red sticker no.

scary 29-05-2009 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=Jimmy S]would it be easier to just swap wheels with me Shane!? ;)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ......................No thanks anyway jimmy

sMY00n 29-05-2009 12:23 PM

will insurance still cover you with wheel spacers ???

ITGRIPS 29-05-2009 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=sMY00n]will insurance still cover you with wheel spacers ???[/QUOTE]

unless factory fitted, that'd be a big fat NO

pcracing 29-05-2009 12:43 PM

I run 10mm ones on my race car and have had no dramas non hubcentric either...

As for coppers well there's two ways you can play it..... don't do anything to get pulled over.
or when asked (most coppers won't know anyways) tell them it's a dust cover like the new fords have. If it os obvious that there is a spacer ie: supercheap one size fits all.

I know of a group of people who have alloy "hub extensions" on their cars who race and have no issues with them coming loose or breaking.

to make it a hub extension and not a spacer it has one screw in it connecting this item to the hub so when wheel off occurs it doesn't move.

oh and no such thing as a red sticker anymore, just a yella one sideways in the middle of yer screen.

Jim621 29-05-2009 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=Pimpreza]Don't do it!!!!! It's the hub what holds the wheel in place, the studs just hold it in the right position & the nuts tighten it on, one launch & you'll either break the studs or weaken them to the point the wheel could drop off at any time.[/QUOTE]

^^^ +100

dont do it mate, just buy the correct offset wheels.

Sti_Ra 09-06-2009 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=scary]Has anyone run wheel spacers for any length of time? Specifically ones WITHOUT hubcentric rings? Just want to know if there is any downsides or problems encountered in the long term.

I have a set of 10mm spacers (NON HUBCENTRIC) and thinking about fitting them
but......
if there are issues that are known then I will get hubcentric ones and longer studs.

I am only worried about stress on the wheel stds etc not rubbing issues as that can be solved.[/QUOTE]

It depends , u can get a custom make spacer so it sits nicely and proper and custom stud (or buy a second hand studs from any car which is longer)..

scary 09-06-2009 09:10 AM

Well I have fitted 5mm ones for now until the new springs arrive and I am happy with the ride height. they are painted black so you can't see them behind the wheel. I will probaly go for 15mm when finished and they will be hubcentric with longer studs that actually attach to the hub ie not loose.

OllieJ 09-06-2009 09:24 AM

They void insurance, if thats not a reason then I should dig up the picture of the zed where the wheel came off. I ran them on the front my zed but you could feel the imbalance of them through the steering, so the problem was correctly remedied with bigger discs (my issue was caliper clearance).

American Dave 09-06-2009 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=scary]Well I have fitted 5mm ones for now until the new springs arrive and I am happy with the ride height. they are painted black so you can't see them behind the wheel. I will probaly go for 15mm when finished and they will be hubcentric with longer studs that actually attach to the hub ie not loose.[/QUOTE]

$70K car and you want to run spacers to make wheels look better LOL Shano !