Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby
Default Plug problem?

When I started my car today (MY02), on idle, it sounds like it miss-fires every now and then. Only did it a few times, then the car was fine.... but when I started it again tonight, it done the same thing, this time though, the motor would have been around running temp (was cold when I had started it earlier in the day) Car seems to go fine while driving.

Now Im assuming I should check the plugs, my first question is, anyone got any helpful hints at getting to the plugs? I know where they are, but they look like a pain in the ass to get to. Also, any other suggestions on things to look at? (also how in the world do I test if the problem is a plug or something else, other than swapping them out?)

I should add (if it makes any difference or not) that the car has done around 80,000km with the current plugs, so they arent exactly new.

Last edited by gumby; 22-07-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 22-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

i had a similar issue with mine, my mechanic suggested that it was the injectors and i should run some injector cleaner through them. still resolving the issue myself though.

you should be able to just visually check the plugs, there are pics of what plugs should look like (and what they shouldnt look like) in most workshop manuals...i havent actually checked the plugs on my wrx yet, but my brother did changed them on his without much hassle afaik

but a good diagnostic process would include injectors, plugs, leads, coil pack... AFM
i'm sure the mech guru's on here will have a better idea than me, but just make sure you do it one thing at a time, so you know what the problem was ie: dont change the plugs and the leads at the same time etc
Old 22-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Mate the plugs are not too hare once you get in there. I found there was only 1 way to get to the passenger side 2 plugs from the top of the engine bay (fitting your arms in).

Backside passenger plug: For the backside plug i went from the firewall inwards, basically hovering over the fuel filter with a 3"8 drive socket and a 5/8th socket (16mm) that was a deep socket, otherwise a normal socket will never fit over the plug head.

Frontside Passenger plug: went from the battery terminal in towards to engine, again using same drive and socket, had a fiddle around and eventually got it.

Frontside Driver plug: Easy, just take off the air filter, whilst this may not be nessesary, more room makes for a happier job. Crack it and rip her out.

Backsideside Driver plug: Again, fairly easy because theres more room to get at it, going in from near the turbo you should be able to get it out fairly easy.

Just remember to either label or seperate and remember where each lead goes to. Whilst they should only be long enough to go to each spark plug, i think the driver side can get confused. Get them confused and your car will miss fire the wrong chambers id assume.

Eric
Old 22-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

i think plugs are due every 50000km anyway, so proberly a good idea to replace them

Tags
plug, problem