Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-12-2005, 12:07 AM
WRXRW

it all kinda follows a twisted askiew perspective. while the knucke draggers turn a harmless tyre around and around and around and around *yawns* we fire up furnances to produce serious "molten magma" (say it out loud in your best Dr Evil voice)

as with the highlite of any good burnout, you wear the tyres down to the belts and getting them to the point they pop (better yet if they both pop at the same time, unless your a single peggar)

of course what we wanna see is you don't stop still melted fragments, that once formed the exhaust wheel of your turbo, land several meters away.
Old 29-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Subaru Tech Division

joey89 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to joey89

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby99
Yep ...... care to stand in the middle
nar i think i will pass i dont wanna go deaf yet
Old 29-12-2005, 01:05 AM
STI Master

JMAX is unrated

Who's going to hold up Autronic Pryde at MV06?

Last edited by BLU WRX; 30-12-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 29-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Ok I will wait to get "flamed" When is MV06?
Old 29-12-2005, 11:44 AM
STI Master

Andy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Andy

jmax, hopefully chris will carry the flag.
Old 29-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Anti-lag systems retard the ignition timing and, in combination with a throttle opening system such as a solenoid, idle speed motor or throttle screw, open the throttle wide open, so unburned fuel and a large amount of air pass through the engine and, instead of igniting in the engine, the fuel/air ignites in the exhaust manifold, and spins the turbo over, even at low engine speed.

The theory is, as soon as you open the throttle, you have full boost and no lag.

The air needed for this combustion is provided by the standard throttle body, which is opened to a greater extent than normal whilst anti-lag is running...

The way the throttle is held open is a discussion within itself. On Autronic PnP, they use the idle speed motor, where as on other ECUs such as PossumLink and Motec, a throttle screw or solenoid is used to keep the throttle open (as stated by Group N rally rules). Running a throttle screw or solenoid allows more air to flow in, hence a greater anti lag effect.

On my car, I have a VR Commodore air-con solenoid to hold the throttle open. Having a constant throttle opening with a throttle screw is not convenient on a street car.....throttle screws are fine on rally cars, as driveability isnt their main concern.

The ECU uses an idle control sequence so that once you've set the target idle speed, the anti-lag will cut a spark in a rotational sequence with each cylinder, which is why they idle so lumpy, and thus the reason its called rotational idle. If there was no rotational idle, the engine wouldnt idle at all, because the throttle is so far open that the engine would just rev.

As soon as the RPM goes over the arming target, the system goes into full anti-lag mode, and it pops and bangs very loudly. The size of the bangs and pops depends on the amount of ignition retard. Once the revs come back down, it idles very loudly at about 2000rpm. As soon as the engine is placed under any load, even just cruising, there is positive boost pressure....and in some applications, it may even produce 1.3 bar at 2500rpm..

If the RPM doesnt meet the RPM arming target for a certain amount of time (user definable on some ECUs, preset on others IE 15 seconds), the anti-lag switches back into the rotational idle until the revs are increased to the arming target once again.

The anti lag is NOT a good street modification. When the engine is in anti-lag stand by mode, the idle is lumpy and makes the whole car shake, not to mention it being super loud, although it does sound awesome

The actual engine is MUCH louder with the anti-lag turned on, because of the massive air flow, its pops and jumps around at low speed, and if you go over the anti-lag rpm threshold, the car gets even LOUDER, and pops flames. Depending on the throttle opening, it can make the brakes very hard due to the lack of vacuum, and it can catch you out if your not careful.

To take off, you have to bring the revs up or it'll stall and buck around, which isnt good for the clutch or gearbox. As already stated, lots of throttle is needed to keep the car driving smoothly.

Different story at the track though. It produces tyre smoking launches, boost comes on instantly, and there is no need for flat changing or anything like that, because the anti-lag does all the work for you keeping the engine on boost

The rotational idle is actually beneficial to the turbo, it cools it right down after a run, and if you feel the engine bay, you can actually feel how cool it is if you leave the rotational idle on for a while.

As for turbo longevity, rally cars run incredibly aggressive anti-lag 100% of the time, so it compromises the metallurgy of the turbo, exhaust valves and manifold, requiring them to be replaced at regular intervals.

On a street car, with occasional use, EGTs arent a huge problem, unless you go onto the freeway, rev the engine out and back off the throttle...high RPM over run for constant periods of time with the anti-lag switched on is what damages turbos and exhaust manifolds, because of excessive EGTs.

Some high end ECUs have an EGT recovery strategy, that reduces or disables anti-lag when EGTs exceeds the set figure, as long as the EGT sensor is connected to the ECU, which means you save your exhaust manifold, exhaust valves and turbo from melting into a heap

On the street for every day driving, anti-lag is useless, and its only good for wow factor and as a conversation point on car cruises and shows. It does produce tyre smoking launches and awesome throttle response, but we dont do this on the street anyway do we?
Old 29-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Oh and I wrote that years ago, so if its slightly inaccurate in some areas, I dont care....you get the idea regardless
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Sir AntiLag

AntonRX at standard level

not all antilag makes flames I have found as mine produce zero i figure this to be a good thing as it isn't so harsh.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Diesel

Hi_VoLtAgE is unrated

question - if i had anti-lag and was to say launch at 10psi, that would mean that 10 pounds of pressure were built up in the intercooler lines and intercool itself right? would it be possable to blow an intercooler core? and would a high flow cat still be destroyed after time using AL?

cheers.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Sir AntiLag

AntonRX at standard level

cat will be destroyed. Intercooler won't blow

Tags
antilag