Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Sir AntiLag

rstasy at standard level
Default broken bolt

well, i swapped my old worn leather seats from my liberty heritage over to some gt-b seats today (the kind wit the electronic seatrails), and came across a miniscule yet extremely frustrating issue - also a mild safety concern as the passenger side seat is flapping all over the joint.

essentially, the bolt that was in place on the passenger side seat, securing it to the floor, was dodgey. whilst i applied torque in order to remove it, it gave way, and snapped the head of the bolt off - rendering it impossible to dethread.

i've already tried a variety of penetrating oils and worked at it with a hammer and chisel in order to try get it to give a bit, but have since failed miserably. i'm thinking about welding a nut to it and removing it that way - but if you guys have had this issue before, and have a solution that involves far less effort and time, let me know. don't think easyout or similair method will slip this free unfortunately.

cheers.

Last edited by rstasy; 14-01-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 14-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Purchase or borrow an "Easyout" to suit
drill hole in broken bolt to suit easyout
insert easyout
unscrew broken bolt.

sometimes it is possible to remove the broken bolt with pliers/chisel/screwdriver after drilling a hole.
sometimes just the act of drilling the hole will drive the broken bolt out the other side.

if all else fails carefully drill to tapping size and clean thread out with a tap
Old 14-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

tiddy at standard level

Weld a nut on top of the bolt.
Old 14-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

drill a hole in the centre of the bolt, then find the right size allen or torx bit, hit it in and remove that way. usually works quite well. or drill the bolt out
Old 14-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

remember easyouts are meant to be wound using the hand. not a drill. using a drill could make the easyout shatter which would literally put you up shit creek.
Old 14-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/27934-seat-issue.html

Has been fixed before. Doug has a few good points in the above link on how to fix it.
Old 14-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Sir AntiLag

rstasy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-REX View Post
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/27934-seat-issue.html

Has been fixed before. Doug has a few good points in the above link on how to fix it.
the ironic thing is, it's a reoccuring issue with the car TJ was referring to in that post. it's his old car. haha.

this will definately be a job for someone whom can weld.

Last edited by rstasy; 14-01-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 14-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Dont set the car on fire !
Old 14-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

By the sound of it the bolt has been crossthreaded in there tight enough to break it off. You won't get it out with an easy-out. If you can avoid using the passenger seat until you get the steering rack done I'll drill it out and re-tap it for you, if possible. Otherwise it needs a patch and nut welded on etc which is more work but still do-able.

Edit; For anyone wondering what an Ezy-out is, or how to use one they have their uses but are not a miracle cure for all broken bolts. For instance if you're bolting on a bracket and overtighten the bolt and break the head off you may well be able to use an Ezy out. The reason the bolt broke was that it was overtightened, and stretched to breaking point, it will not be tight in the threads once the head has broken off.

On the other hand if you bought a coarse thread bolt from Bunnings for your fine thread pitching stopper and it breaks off after you have sweated and graoned through five turns of thread munching (Hi Tino!!) you've got buckleys of anything with the word 'ezy' getting that out!!!!

Last edited by dtrally; 14-01-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 14-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Sir AntiLag

rstasy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
By the sound of it the bolt has been crossthreaded in there tight enough to break it off. You won't get it out with an easy-out. If you can avoid using the passenger seat until you get the steering rack done I'll drill it out and re-tap it for you, if possible. Otherwise it needs a patch and nut welded on etc which is more work but still do-able.

Edit; For anyone wondering what an Ezy-out is, or how to use one they have their uses but are not a miracle cure for all broken bolts. For instance if you're bolting on a bracket and overtighten the bolt and break the head off you may well be able to use an Ezy out. The reason the bolt broke was that it was overtightened, and stretched to breaking point, it will not be tight in the threads once the head has broken off.

On the other hand if you bought a coarse thread bolt from Bunnings for your fine thread pitching stopper and it breaks off after you have sweated and graoned through five turns of thread munching (Hi Tino!!) you've got buckleys of anything with the word 'ezy' getting that out!!!!
that's exactly what's happened - the head of the bolt has snapped, but contrary to what you've said - as it occured whilst i was removing the seat itself.

it doesn't look crossthreaded, but i could be wrong. the driver's side needs some attention too (as you have remembered from last time when you test drove the car, doug) ; although the seat mount channel has copped some damage prior to my acquisition of the car.

there's certainly not as much movement as there was previously however; as the new electronic seat rails are far more rigid in opposition to the original leather heritage seats that stood in their position earlier today.

i'll just drown my sorrows with copious amounts of bintang in bali, it's amazing how something so little can be so frustrating

thanks for all your input

Last edited by rstasy; 14-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Tags
bolt, broken