Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff
Default Fuel Pump help!

Hi guys,

Basically my Bosch 044 is super noisy.. I was considering swapping it but I kept it because it was the most suitable pump for my setup.

From the info I can find on the net, some people say they’re noisy and others say they’re supposed to be quiet.. the ones who say they’re supposed to be quiet, say they get noisy when there is a blockage or a restriction.

So basically:

- There is no restriction I can see apart from the strainer being a bit dirty, but nothing out of the ordinary for an 8 year old fuel sock (I’ve seen worse).

- The strainer is threaded and is screwed straight into a speedflow fitting on the bottom of the pump. Maybe this is causing a restriction because it sits so close to the fuel pump inlet?

- The pump is fairly new (less than 10 months)

- The pump isn’t making a smooth buzzing noise when its running, it sounds more like its “jumping” or “burping” every second or so (not spaced perfectly apart though), which could be cavitation.

- The pump is hard-wired to 12 volts all the time, so its flat out even at idle.

- It's insulated with fuel-proof rubber, so its not the vibration transferring through the assembly and tank which is causing the noise.

- It's progressively getting louder and louder as the months go on.

- When the pump primes, its quiet for the first 1-2 second of priming, then the remaining couple of seconds it gets SUPER loud.

- As far as I know, it still pumps fine.. but that I can never be sure as even if it was down on pressure, it would still provide more fuel than I can use.. ASG had my car on the dyno and the AFR's were fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really need to sort this out before it does my head in!

Tags
fuel, pump