Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Opinions from those that know? engine build.... (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/38323-opinions-those-know-engine-build.html)

BALISTC 08-11-2010 02:53 PM

Thought about doing a crank Rossco?

If you're looking at something like a complete Brian Crower setup, they have billet cranks available also.

trainwrex 08-11-2010 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;510002]I'm doing all the work myself Tino. (excluding any machining required)

I'd go Pauter rods if I was building a monster, but I'm not, the stock rods are probably more than durable enough. Adding Manley or Crower is just a little more insurance....More critical will be the clearances I use.

Car is always going to be 99% street, 1% trackday warrior.[/QUOTE]

yeh but u will have to buy new pistons new rods.. = 1500 plus machining, bearing s etc etc. could easily equate to around 2k

for 2600 u can get a 207 and call it a day.. Can make 250 kw atw all day everyday...

That would be what id do...

phizzle 08-11-2010 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=trainwrex;510005]yeh but u will have to buy new pistons new rods.. = 1500 plus machining, bearing s etc etc. could easily equate to around 2k

for 2600 u can get a 207 and call it a day.. Can make 250 kw atw all day everyday...

That would be what id do...[/QUOTE]
+ several.

250awkw or ~330awhp is PLENTY. Maybe I'm biased as that was my goal for the GC before I sold it to Matt. Any luck with KAAZ by the way???

Strubaru 08-11-2010 03:35 PM

yeah i can see what you are trying to achieve ross by buying the stuff a bit at a time but i tend to think it will end up costing you more and you'll end up with an engine that won't be as reliable as a factory built 207, so for the power you want to achieve i'd also have to suggest saving your coin up & just buying a 207 short block

Chrus 08-11-2010 04:34 PM

I like the engine build idea and the approach Rossco (similar to what i have in mind myself). Though with one reservation - I would go with the closed RS turbo block (EJ20G), if not for future proofing than any thing else. Its a good strong unit that has been proven over and over (obviously along simlar lines to a 207) and IMHO worth the effort of machine time etc. :)

Rossco 08-11-2010 05:17 PM

I understand where you're coming from, but you're are missing the point.

I WANT to build an engine myself, I've done plenty before.....just not an EJ - I look at it as a challenge with a large self satisfaction payoff, it's not about saving coin.

Costings so far:

Rods/slugs (Crower/Cp) $750
Acl race bearings $150
Arp head studs $180
12mm Dual avcs oil pump $188
Oem gasket kit $500
= $1768

Plus Recon heads/ setting up cams, my spare time & machining.

It's not a 'black art'.....

Rossco 08-11-2010 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=Chrus;510036]I like the engine build idea and the approach Rossco (similar to what i have in mind myself). Though with one reservation - I would go with the closed RS turbo block (EJ20G), if not for future proofing than any thing else. Its a good strong unit that has been proven over and over (obviously along simlar lines to a 207) and IMHO worth the effort of machine time etc. :)[/QUOTE]

Problem with using the ej20g block is finding a decent re-workable crank....The expense of modding the 20g block to take the later rear thrust cranks makes it prohibitive (and possibly unreliable).

Reverb 08-11-2010 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;510050]It's not a 'black art'.....[/QUOTE]

As a diesel engine re conditioner i certainly agree with that, not hard to do at all putting an engine together.

Rossco 08-11-2010 07:13 PM

I plan to build it with .001' more than stock clearance on big ends & mains (yes loose!).

Piston to bore will be as per piston manufacturer's recommendations, same with ring gaps.

I may shim the oil pump relief depending on the pressure I see when it's together and running (looser clearances allow more bleed off), I'll be aiming for 90 psi hot with 5w30 mobil1 >5000rpm. The shimming can be done with the pump in situ anyway.

I'm torn between running 8.5 or 9:1 comp ratio...8.5:1 means more boost & timing but 9:1 means more torque off boost. I need to think about it some more.

Autopilot 08-11-2010 08:17 PM

Sorry to cut in but where can you get a 207 bottom end from right now? I may be listening to the wrong people but as I understand it factory 207's are in short order in Australia atm. I'm in the same boat as Rossco I plan to rebuild in anticipation of the inevitable. I keep reading about Perth delivered 207 bottom ends for $2700 which to me is cheap in comparison to a built motor especially since I'm looking more for reliability than a HP queen.