Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   MY01 gearbox problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/38625-my01-gearbox-problem.html)

dtrally 22-11-2010 12:39 AM

Yeah, save up. Borrowing the dosh or getting 'credit' from a workshop will cost you loads more in the long run. I can't see how it would have a fault with the gearbox, tailshaft and diff all at once, it would be highly unusual.
You'll need around $2k to fit a secondhand gearbox. I don't have any suitable and If I did, couldn't do anything until mid December.
Be careful buying a gearbox secondhand or 'reconditioned', mismatched ratios are common when boxes are swapped without due care.

nauli 22-11-2010 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;514163] I can't see how it would have a fault with the gearbox, tailshaft and diff all at once, it would be highly unusual.
[/QUOTE]

+1...

wrxii...take note of this opinion from someone who knoes what he's talking about. I would strongly suggest that you take it to STechnic and get it properly diagnosed rather than troll (for the answer you want to hear) on a forum where people's opinions are based on speculation in the case of your problem...

wrxii 22-11-2010 08:55 AM

well my tail shaft was wobbling around, my gearbox went bang, then dropped oil everywhere and when i drove it home it was clunking and shaking the car around everywhere same with the rear diff.

And for those of you commenting on my driving style honestly you dont know me or how i drive so i dont think that should be brought up. I dont drive like a dickhead.

maybe i did buy a lemon but hey what can i do about it now.

mARC 22-11-2010 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=wrxii;514193]well my tail shaft was wobbling around, my gearbox went bang, then dropped oil everywhere and when i drove it home it was clunking and shaking the car around everywhere same with the rear diff.

And for those of you commenting on my driving style honestly you dont know me or how i drive so i dont think that should be brought up. I dont drive like a dickhead.
[/QUOTE]

:confused: Oxymoron?

First thing you do when things turn to shit is pull over, if you aren't able to fix the situation with some confidence, you get it towed 'going off your symptoms, I doubt anyone would be able to fix this problem on site 'off road'.

Driving in these situations is only going to cause further issues.

wrxii 22-11-2010 09:59 AM

I was five mins from my house.... i wish you guys would just help instead of being smart asses and just running ya mouths before you know the story

mARC 22-11-2010 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=wrxii;514212]I was five mins from my house.... i wish you guys would just help instead of being smart asses and just running ya mouths before you know the story[/QUOTE]

So the facts are, your car was making weird noises, has dropped oil everywhere, and the validation for driving it home was it was close by?

I think you should read this thread properly before it really goes pear shaped.

As has been mentioned, get a quote on what needs to be done by someone in the game, find out where you stand and then work it out from there.

If you would like me to employ the Sesame Street puppets to play it out for you phonetically please let me know.

wrxii 22-11-2010 10:17 AM

yea sure mate

The guy that was with us is a mechanic!!!!

so theres no need for your smartness

Strubaru 22-11-2010 10:26 AM

sounds like your tailshaft centre bearing assembly has let go or come undone and dropped the tailshaft enough for oil to piss out the back of the box, where exactly is the oil coming from? where the tailshaft joins the rear of the box? never heard of a gearbox failure causing trans oil loss

wrxii 22-11-2010 10:31 AM

around the middle to the rear of the box.... but there was a whirring in the box then it went bang

Strubaru 22-11-2010 10:54 AM

i still stand by my previous statement, get under there and check that the centre bearing cradle (on the tailshaft) is still attached to the body of the car