Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   MY01 gearbox problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/38625-my01-gearbox-problem.html)

RUSSGT 22-11-2010 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;514299]jimmy, did [B]she[/B] ask us to fix or diagnose the problem? no she only asked 2 questions regarding credit & insurance, and from then on she was just answering questions regarding the problem as everyone was trying to help determine what the problem was, we all know broken gearbox's don't make tailshafts wobble around and drop oil yeah?[/QUOTE]

Is wrxii a Girl?

teejay 22-11-2010 04:39 PM

[QUOTE]3. Again, gearboxes don’t generally drop their oil when they blow up, unless you’ve thrown a gear out the side of the case.. and I’ve only ever see this happen with dog engagement gearsets.
[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ ballsac :P

Ask Brett about the trail down his road after 3rd let go after racing thodd on Tonkin :P

207 de 22-11-2010 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=wrxii;514303]okay so just crawled under my car..... oil is comng from the gearbox ....[/QUOTE]

Is it still all hot in Perth? So, you were sliding under your car, sort of all covered in oil right, in overalls but un-buttoned or more in sort of a bikini top and short shorts?

As mentioned, I think we need a picture. :)

But seriously, who is helping you make the decisions to replace things before you have got it to a workshop? Its not that expensive to hire a car trailer and get it to a shop. You will save money in the long run.

Have you worked out where you going to source your parts from?

TROLLEY 22-11-2010 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;514309]Is wrxii a Girl?[/QUOTE]
She signed off an earlier post with "Nicole" at the end. Can't find it now, probably edited.

BALISTC 22-11-2010 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;514311]I beg to differ ballsac :P

Ask Brett about the trail down his road after 3rd let go after racing thodd on Tonkin :P[/QUOTE]

I said "don't generally".. doesn't mean they don't do it at all!! :D

I'd only ever seen it once in real life (the famous moment at WAW when a WRX with a fresh PPG box spat the gear out the side of the case, which of course caused just a little oil leak on the track), now I've heard of a 2nd person who has had an oil leak after a gearbox fail (you :))

wrxii 22-11-2010 06:12 PM

BECAUSE MY BOYFRIEND IS A MECHANIC!!!!

geeez

if i want to replace the gearbox whats wrong with that

Jimmy S 22-11-2010 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;514299]jimmy, did she ask us to fix or diagnose the problem? no she only asked 2 questions regarding credit & insurance, and from then on she was just answering questions regarding the problem as everyone was trying to help determine what the problem was, we all know broken gearbox's don't make tailshafts wobble around and drop oil yeah?[/QUOTE]

I stand by my statement, regardless of this particular thread, there are, IMO more and more people including the OP who are creating threads asking for diagnosis or opinion's on issues with their cars, seemingly without thinking about consulting a workshop who can diagnose accurately(generally) the issue and offer a solution?

I just think the mentality is heading towards: Check the internet first for a solution, then worst comes to worst, we'll contact a workshop who have actually repaired these same issues multiple times?

Doesn't make sense to me...

p.s - I'm not directing this at wrxii specifically, I just chose this thread to voice my opinion really... unlucky

Jimmy S 22-11-2010 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=wrxii;514343]BECAUSE MY BOYFRIEND IS A MECHANIC!!!!

geeez

if i want to replace the gearbox whats wrong with that[/QUOTE]

No problem with replacing the gearbox, provided that is the part causing the fault. :)

apg39 22-11-2010 06:37 PM

I'm going to point out the obvious here, but if you're boyfriend is a mechanic shouldn't he know what the problem is or do super cheap rates on repairing the car without a need for insurance/credit?

I'm a little disturbed that this Mechanic boyfriend that was with you allowed you to drive home after that. Even if it was a few hundred metres away, if the oils gone then it's metal on metal & that's pretty much the recipe for destruction.

American Dave 22-11-2010 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=wrxii;514343]BECAUSE MY BOYFRIEND IS A MECHANIC!!!!

geeez

if i want to replace the gearbox whats wrong with that[/QUOTE]

nothing at all and if you BF is a mechanic then I am closing this thread