Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   MY01 gearbox problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/38625-my01-gearbox-problem.html)

magic1 22-11-2010 11:06 AM

can you please post a picture of where the oil is coming from?

RUSSGT 22-11-2010 11:32 AM

is this the same gearbox you where having trouble with a while ago?

BALISTC 22-11-2010 11:52 AM

Ok a few things. Please don’t take offence to my post as I’m going to try and help you here.

1. We don’t know what went bang, so we can only assume until you take the car to a proper Subaru mechanic to diagnose.
2. I have never in my 8 years of playing with Subaru’s, ever heard of a tailshaft, gearbox and diff going bang at the same time.
3. Again, gearboxes don’t generally drop their oil when they blow up, unless you’ve thrown a gear out the side of the case.. and I’ve only ever see this happen with dog engagement gearsets.
4. Lets say your tailshaft centre bearing fell out or became unattached, and the tailshaft has popped out and dropped all your gearbox oil. This does not necessarily mean a stuffed gearbox.
5. When you drove the car home after the oil dropped out, THIS may have buggered your gearbox beyond repair.
6. The fact that you drove your car home means the tailshaft was probably still in place, but you can still drive a Subaru with a busted rear diff/no tailshaft.. your centre diff won't be happy though.
7. PLEASE, take your car to a workshop as we cannot diagnose a problem such as this over the internet.. thats why no one can help you properly.

wrxii 22-11-2010 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;514234]is this the same gearbox you where having trouble with a while ago?[/QUOTE]

yes it is.... i will post a pic soon cos i just have to go out

no not in my car lol i have borrowed mums mazda

wrxii 22-11-2010 12:05 PM

[quote=balistc;514241]ok a few things. Please don’t take offence to my post as i’m going to try and help you here.

1. We don’t know what went bang, so we can only assume until you take the car to a proper subaru mechanic to diagnose.
2. I have never in my 8 years of playing with subaru’s, ever heard of a tailshaft, gearbox and diff going bang at the same time.
3. Again, gearboxes don’t generally drop their oil when they blow up, unless you’ve thrown a gear out the side of the case.. And i’ve only ever see this happen with dog engagement gearsets.
4. Lets say your tailshaft centre bearing fell out or became unattached, and the tailshaft has popped out and dropped all your gearbox oil. This does not necessarily mean a stuffed gearbox.
5. When you drove the car home after the oil dropped out, this may have buggered your gearbox beyond repair.
6. The fact that you drove your car home means the tailshaft was probably still in place, but you can still drive a subaru with a busted rear diff/no tailshaft.. Your centre diff won't be happy though.
7. Please, take your car to a workshop as we cannot diagnose a problem such as this over the internet.. Thats why no one can help you properly.[/quote]

thank you :)

Jimmy S 22-11-2010 02:51 PM

Sigh... I think we need to change the banner advertising on every page to include at least 1 Large banner saying "IF IT'S BROKEN, TAKE IT TO A WORKSHOP"...

The internet will not repair your broken/busted car... ever... :(

The end. Sorry if you feel I am being unhelpful, but I honestly believe this is the only piece of advice worth giving.

[REXPLOIT] 22-11-2010 03:03 PM

Fix it once - fix it properly.

(Or buy a 4WD.... lol :p)

Brent.
:)

Strubaru 22-11-2010 03:36 PM

jimmy, did she ask us to fix or diagnose the problem? no she only asked 2 questions regarding credit & insurance, and from then on she was just answering questions regarding the problem as everyone was trying to help determine what the problem was, we all know broken gearbox's don't make tailshafts wobble around and drop oil yeah?

wrxii 22-11-2010 04:16 PM

okay so just crawled under my car..... oil is comng from the gearbox right at the rear near extension housing... and the i can spin the tail shaft round with my hand about 45 degrees but it hasnt dropped off the centre mount.... decision is that i am just gonna replace the gearbox so i know everythings fixed and good then no more problems.

TROLLEY 22-11-2010 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=wrxii;514303]decision is that i am just gonna replace the gearbox so i know everythings fixed and good then no more problems.[/QUOTE]
GET IT DIAGNOSED BY A WORKSHOP BEFORE MAKING DECISIONS!

[IMG]http://www.bexley-is-bonkers.co.uk/images/miscellany/two_planks.jpg[/IMG]