Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Jaronimo at standard level
Default foz mods

Cool thanks for all the suggestions, names Jared im down in bunbury at the moment, Ive got 2 lil girls and the wife isnt too keen on a really loud exhuast, though Im so tempted, bit later perhaps to free a few more horses

it was a hub dyno in Ozzy park, cant remember the name, only that he specializes in mitsibishis and the only haltech tuner around with a 4wd dyno? am I wrong?

yeah Im really happy with the td04 turbo I fitted and I got the haltech platinum intercepter as it was available 2nd hand and a good price not to mention easy to tune and we have a tuner down here in bunbury at adrenaline that could help me out with small issues later on, I plumbed it in at the same time I did the turbo, it was a massive transformation.I plan to run a 3inch dump pipe and keep the standard wrx muffler till the girls grow up a bit in a year or two, the turbo currently is really noisy through the intake, due to the convulooted pipes, sounds like an ambo rushing past untill it builds boost to 6psi, hence needing some advice on the right silicone intercooler pipes for the 99model, any idea if the wrx pipes are the same

I didnt get a readout of before the tune, but I was really aiming for 200hp at the wheels, thanks terry for posting your hp, was thinking 130 was a tad low
Old 17-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Stop putting emphasis on the dyno number! You said in your first post it drives 10x better! That's a win!

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

mike 09 at standard level

You are probably talking about David Thomas from RPW.

He is not a great tuner IMO, better known for his knowledge on modding Mitsubishis and selling lots of parts, power kits and racing fuel. He has a quick FWD TT Magna.

I wish I had never let him install and tune a haltech stand alone ECU in one of my earlier cars - poor workmanship, follow up customer service and tuning. He was out of his depth.

You say it drives well, so maybe he has gotten better, or gone back to hiring someone else to tune.

2010 Hatch
267 hp & 425nm ASG Dyno.
Old 17-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Jaronimo at standard level

My whole goal was to raise up the forester level to atleast a stock wrx, as the rex was my first choice but the foz wagon took preference, to why a dyno readout was fairly important to me, as besides the tune, I enjoy doing the work and research and want some reseasonable results

yep RPW that sounds familiar I believed I had no other choice after ringing around all the workshops I could find, MMS, is that maximum motorsport? cant remember why I couldnt take it there, it did really suck having to help pull off the wheels to connect the hub dyno, takes all the fun out of it,
so far its all good, fuel economy is good, still a little rich apparently due to the forester ecu but otherwise ok, Im guesing it will still only run rich even with a CAI, upgraded intercooler piping and a 3inch dump?

David did the tune himself in about 45mins, maybe hes had alot more time with haltech since yours Mike09
Old 17-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

I would probably in your case, install a full 3" TBE on then whack a varex on the end of it.
they work a treat and that way you can have the best of both worlds
Old 17-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

As above, there is more to it than a dyno figure. Dynos will produce different figures on different days, and yes I do have my dyno figures quoted on my signature, but its really not that important.

I'm not sure really what they have done (correction factors) to gain this figure. Its really a comparison before and after a mod is done.

I'm guessing most are quoting figures for at the tyres and yours are at the hubs, so I'm guessing there will be some differences.

Looking at Wikipedia, a Foz of your vintage makes 168hp, which is at the flywheel a wrx about 215hp, again at the flywheel, and I think the boost is also a bit higher, about 14.7 psi.

A bit rich is fine, better than dak dak boom from running lean.

Check out the varex exhaust, touch of a button it goes from quite to race in volume. Good for the Missus and the neighbours.

There are a few on here with Foz's, seek them out, throw up an intro post in the introductions with Foz it the title to gain their attention.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 17-08-2011, 11:27 PM
STI Master

Terry.Wrist at standard level

Yeah standard boost on my Foz was 7-8psi
Jump on ozfoz.com if you haven't already
Old 17-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Totally agreed with.

It is not so much the hp that counts. You may have a high h-powered car, but getting the power down to the road is the main thing. Driveability matters most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red dragon2002 View Post
who cares about the power, as you said it drives 10 times better which is what really matters.

who tuned your haltech and how much was it + the tune? also what made you get one in the first place?

i ask because i have got mild mod on my car, so didn't really want to get a full replacement ecu. it is my daily. have thought of unichip but people have said they are a waste of time. was also thinking of the apexi neo, but not much info on here about them.

what other plans have you got for the gt?
Old 18-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

RPW did the tune? Their dyno reads quite high I've found.

I'd suggest you take it to another dyno shop ASAP and get the AFR's and knock checked. 45 minutes for a complete tune sounds a lot like a cut and paste job from another tune. Could be good, could be bad. Unless they do this day in day out, seems too fast.
Old 18-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Varex isnt the best option. Shouldnt drive far with it closed and the carbon can bung up the flap and stop it working. My mates one doesnt work anymore.

Tags
figures, hp