Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Scoobie Noobie

SIC_EM_REX at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattuZ View Post
i have reds and they stop pretty good but only when they are warm, first thing in the morning they can be pretty shit
cheers for the heads up...
Old 25-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Sign me up!
Santa's Little Helper

Addy at standard level

I have A1RMs on the fronts and HPX on the rear. Rear wheels stay clean (white wheels) but the front ones are dusty as hell. Can't compare them to the other high performance pads though.
A1RMs are great from cold, and at Collie didn't notice any difference between first and last lap (though I don't know how hot I got them).
Just ordered another set of A1RMs (1 year of use with 1 collie outing and a few RAC days) and still have meat on them, but just preparing for collie (fresh pads)

Adi
Old 25-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Just remember to not throw out the then metal sleeves on the back of the pads as your brakes will screech like a mofo 're-use on next application'.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

thommo at standard level

I had greens on my gc8 with EBC slotted and dimpled rota's. Couldn't fault them went around Barbs with them, a mate and I tag teaming my car and had minimal fade. Dust, they all dusty, we just have to deal with it.
Old 30-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Vendor

gslrallysport at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC_EM_REX View Post
Hey there, could you guys give me a opinion or recommendation on EBC brake pads... My fronts are due for replacement in my 03 WRX sti... Instead of going genuine.. Wanted to see what EBC's are like.. Was thinking green or red??? please help, all feedback will be much appriciated.
We stock about 15 different brands of pads (including EBC) so we're not particularly biased in any one direction (in fact if we were, we'd be trying to plug the more expensive option...), but I struggle to find a good reason to recommend EBC... They work alright in Europe where their rotors are softer and their ambient temperatures are lower, but over here they're RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, and fairly lackluster in terms of performance.

You could do a lot better for the same dollars...

Of the brands that we do, the standout winners in each category of performance versus dollars are:

Basic street trade servicing pads

- Horsepower $49 per set
- Acre (Japanese made) $79-89ish per set

Performance or heavy duty street
- QFM HPX (550 degrees) $79 per set for basic, $110 per set for Brembo
- Remsa (650 degrees, and European made, what we supply for Porsche/Ferrari etc), to suit normal brakes $89/79 ish, to suit Brembo $110 per set ish.

Extreme Street and light track
- QFM A1RM (780 degrees), bang for your buck king provided you're willing to accept slighly higher than normal rotor wear, from $119, or $149 for Brembo.

Full Race/Dedicated competition
- Something from Project Mu, mainly Club Racer or H16-03, the later of which is the V8 Supercar control pad. They're PHENOMENALLY good pads for the money, and extremely versatile. The same pad the V8 Supercars run, we also use in gravel rally cars (as did Simon Evans in his Subbie last year ) where modulation and cold performance are as critical as performance. Evo 1-9 gravel rally cars with 550 odd nm and point to point accleration that rivals most supercars run a 276mm front rotor with twin piston calipers, and are ridiculously under-braked, so a pad that both works dead cold and as high as is required in something like V8 Supercars is a godsend, and they're relatively cheap for what they are... Compare them to the other V8 Supercar control pad (PFC01) and they're very good value for money, and the vast majority of teams run the PMu.

If anyone's got any specific requirements just give us a bell on 1300 884 836. As far as pads go, off the top of my head we do Bendix, EBC, RDA, Protex, Horsepower, Remsa, Project Mu, QFM, TRW, Acre and I'm sure some I've forgotten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Good pad, bit dusty (but arent they all). Just dont use then with RDA, they will chew the shit out of them.
That's typical of most Chinese made rotors, be it RDA, DBA Street Series, Protex etc. Something like a 4000 Series DBA, or a Project Mu rotor, which are typically a higher carbon content metal, will withstand the higher friction of a full on performance pad a lot better.

Tags
brake, ebc, pads