Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

rextum at standard level

Yeah mate i feel for ya!
If you bought it from a licensed dealer you might get somewhere with fair trading but if it was a private buy unfortunately you have to face that it's a 12 year old car so buyer beware.
And really they don't seem like major problems, for sure you may need a new clutch, cv's , idle valve and a wheel alignment but i used to have a Legacy import with 60k on it and i had to do all those things plus heaps more. Revlimit sorted mine out so maybe get a second opinion on the car from them or another shop that knows subaru's cos it might not be as bad as it looks.
Good luck with it.
Old 26-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Freak.GT

[QUOTE=raton]
salvage the situation, (guess thats what hes trying to do) spend some money fix the necessaries (again thats what hes trying to do) and swallow the bitter pill. Next time grow up….nobody here can help you! (People will remember next time you need advice)
QUOTE]

Give the guy a break many of us have been in that situation. Shame some people dont have a heart.
Scott
Old 26-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Skrappy at standard level

I'm in a similar situation. The only large difference being that I bought my car from a dealer and its still covered under new car warrenty.

Purchased the car with a completely rooted gearbox. It didn't feel damaged when driving it at first or for a while.. took Darren from Technik (and a few 'check engine' lights) for me to even realise that something was a bit iffy. Now its getting a full gearbox rebuild by subaru and no-one is going to tell me what is covered until after they have stripped the box

The gutted feeling you get knowing you bought a piece of crap is not a nice one. Sympathise with you mate.
Old 27-07-2005, 12:53 AM
mAuL*

I think it's you that needs to grow up Raton. Maybe learn to read too. He was simply asking for advice as many people here do.
Old 27-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

In regards to your car stalling, mine did that too and it turned out to be a fouled plug. Mine is an 01 wrx so I dont know if it applies.

Sorry to hear about all your dramas mate. and Raton, grow up!
Old 27-07-2005, 12:29 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Chad 241WRC at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Chad 241WRC

With regards to suspension Allignment go to wheels world and get a fully suspension alignment done cost around $65 for us pdiddy crew, and if theres some major issues withit theyll let you know.
Inregards to the electrical side go see our good friends at technic they might be able to help out if not they might be able to point you in the right direction of a godd auto leci.
With the idle as scray said idler motor could be gone but see one of the many WRX speciallists available in perth I'm sure theyll be able to help you out...

and Raton if you dont have something helpful to say dont say it......

Chad
Old 27-07-2005, 07:02 PM
raton

Quote= Chad

and Raton if you dont have something helpful to say dont say it......

What HELL you all want to hear..? I am sorry for the guy has been screwed big time and asking what to do, and all you ‘air mechanics’ can do is moan about your own cars and advise were to take his car for repairs. Big deal ! Christ… I think he already figure that himself thus like said before swallow the bitter pill and spend some more money to fix the problems.

If you all so concerned lets hear some sound help, like ‘no worries mate bring it to me ill fix it free for ya and in the mean time use my missus car.. eh’’! Yeah , lets do some growing up….

Ariba ariba muchachos

raton
Old 27-07-2005, 08:31 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

mingin at standard level

CV's, try out Australian Truck n Auto Parts, they now do complete shafts with inner and outer CV's, heaps cheaper than you would pay for just CV's.
The idle, no offence, but have you had the base idle checked? Is the idle adjusted too low? When you pull up to a stop the revs will normally drop down a cuppla hundred RPM lower than idle... if it's set too low it WILL stall.
With the suspension/chassis being out of whack, with a pencil and some measuring tape you can measure your "track" up and make sure it's within spec, you can also then roll the car forward some and measure up if there's any "crabbing". Worst case, ppl like John Hughes panel in belmont have a chassis straightening machine.
If your front and rr diffs are different ratios, then surely that needs to be fixed. That will only cause problems to your drivetrain, including gearbox, who knows they could be related.
Are you waiting a few seconds from neutral before stickin it in reverse? I know with other vehicles, it's a requirement, from the manufacturer, to wait 3 secs then select reverse... lets the synchros, shafts slow down.. Is the clutch new? Is the pedal free-play adjusted within spec?
Just start checking things, step-by-step. If you're not mechanically minded or hands-on, then yeah.... hand the keys, car and $$$ to the pro's....

Good Luck
Old 27-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Scoobie Noobie

forester scott at standard level
Default turbo timer / alarm probs

I had a similar prob with my turbo timer not working when i turned the key off. It was to do with the alarm trying to arm itself when you take the ignition key out so it wont let the turbo timer work. It was an easy fix with a resistor in the power wire out of the turbo timer. Im not an auto leccy so i wont give you and instructions but i doubt that will be expensive to fix.

By the way, this raton character isnt offering much help on the subject. His obvious lack of knowledge is being shown by the crap he is posting in the forum. He is the one who needs to grow up!

Good luck with your car Andy. The majority of the guys here are pretty helpful, even if you are stuck with a gt foz like me!

Last edited by forester scott; 27-07-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 27-07-2005, 10:16 PM
cheating_gets_it_faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raton
Seem to me you have been screwed in broad day light, from behind and worst of all…. in a standing position. In a private sale, the law doesn’t apply to the fullest despite what the Ministry of Fair Trading tells you, paper tigers! Now.. salvage the situation, spend some money fix the necessaries and swallow the bitter pill. Next time grow up….nobody here can help you!

Ariba ariba muchachos

raton

rant mode on

Who the fcuk are you mate?, if you dont have anything constructive to say dont say it....
The best thing about this club is that if you have a problem or need help you can ask and people here will be happy to help/answer questions if they can.

Why dont you not sign on here again and we will all forget you own/share an interest in subarus and get on with our lives alternativly you can start to input something intellegent and worthwhile on these forums and hope that if you ever need a hand we will forget what a dick you have been!

rant mode off

Hey matey,
I had a similar problem with my car, 2 months af ownership i needed to spend 9k to get it right.......there were a few avenues to go down for me ie: take it to consumer protection / civil matter against previous owner however there were no written guarantees of the condition of the car......( if you can get hold of the ad you brought it from and it says "car is A1 cond etc..) then you have a written guarantee (sorta) but to be honest it is a lot of bullshit to go thru.......

If you need to get major work done, try an AHG subaru yard...they have a totally interest free payment plan on repairs (it aint a scam) plus you get a 12mth warranty on repairs/workmanship!

good luck
Adam

Tags
mad