Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-2005, 11:19 AM
PROBLM

Default would you be mad?

HI guys just thought id let you in on the problms im having with my vehicle.

These are all problems that the car came with and im slowly finding them out as i go. OK here are the problems. Im hoping some are not too major and can be fixed quickly via the infinate wisdom this forum brings forth.
note: the car is a 93 legacy RS. It has a 96 WRX engine with td05h turbo, 3" turbo back exhaust, std jap ecu, turbo smart stg2 boost controller, turbo smart type 2 BOV and a boost guage.. Thats about it mechanically.

PROBLM #

1. Car stalls. either floggin it or driving nanna style the car 50% of the time will stall at the lights.

2. turbo timer will not kick in and the car will turn straight off. Usually happens after a "spirited" drive

3. The alarm will turn on out of nowhere, the lights will turn on out of nowhere, the central locking will open the doors out of nowhere.

4. When i bought the car the first thing i noticed was a crunchy reverse. Now i know alot of subis can be stuck with this problm and not have to worry about it, but the friction point was on the floor so i let the nice gentlemen at TENAGAH have a looksy for me and they gave me nice pedal feel and no crunch but virtually NO CLUTCH. Now the pedal feels like shit again and the crunch is worse than ever but thanks the the nice gentlemen once again i have a sort of clutch.

5. On a few occasions ive heard the font cvs clicking.

6. the car has been in no fewer than 3 MAJOR accidents. Once VERY VERY recently. Even when asked about the cars history i was given no word on the accidents.

7. Rear suspension geometry could be out. Ive been advised that after the first rear ender (yes its had 2) the rear suspension has never been the same, the swaybar is not only there to look pretty or go hard, its there to make it feel straight. rear wheel on the drivers side looks like its toing in a bit.

8. 4th gear has a nice crunchy feel to it and when reversing the center diff sounds like its whining. *ive been advised that the box was replaced with a 4.44 ratio box when the rear diff is quite clearly a 4.11

9. after the car was purchased i was given a copy of the import papers and it says that the car was imported for parts! its been registered in australia for about 5 years in canberra.

10. liquid filled boost guage.. the liquid is now in the dash.

Some of these porblems im not tooo worried about. But things like the stalling, the turbo timer , the alarm etc are urgent. I feel i paid too much for a car with this many problems (14000) When i asked the Seller, (who i had met and spoken to before the purchase) If the car needed to be checked over, she said that there is NOTHING wrong with the car, They wouldnt sell me a dodgy car and i have their word on that. And the sellers Partner also had an RS. Plus now i KNOW for a fact that the seller knew about these problems looong before they even thought about selling the car.

Now besides the obvious technical questions ive listed, Is there anything i can rightfully do to get at least some cash back for the reapairs? Im only worried about the clutch and the body. as the other problems i think cannot be avoided. Let me know what you think and or help with the stalling etc

CHEERS
ANDY
Old 26-07-2005, 11:36 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

batmat at standard level

Just a quick suggestion,

is the turbo timer hooked up to the handbrake cable? Some timers wont begin to count down unless the handbrake is pulled up. This is designed to stop people driving off with the car for the period of time that the timer is counting down. (car switches off when the handbrake is put down).

So maybe the times where the car has turned straight off the handbrake wasn't applied before you switched off the ignition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLM
2. turbo timer will not kick in and the car will turn straight off. Usually happens after a "spirited" drive
Old 26-07-2005, 11:38 AM
mAuL*

Unfortunatly i don't think theres much you can do Andy. Was there any document written up for the proof of purchase? Even still, I would go over there and have a very friendly chat and communicate my feelings with much conviction.
Old 26-07-2005, 11:49 AM
STI Master

Fozzy at standard level

might be worth giving the ministy of fair trading a call as they aslo help out people like you who have been sold a lemon they will also be able to give you an idea of your legal stance on the subject
Old 26-07-2005, 05:09 PM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Stalling at the lights is possibly the idle control valve sticking
get a new one or try cleaning the old one but I don't like you chances
other otion is get rid of it all together and blank it off (no cold start this way)

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 26-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

STI325V6 knows their stuff

If you have the sellers number give them a call and get their honest answer on the cars problems, if they are a half decent human being they might help (But don't hold your breath).

I doubt you would have any luck with Fair Trading etc, I think it is buyer beware when a private sale.

Is your car the one that was on the recent RS club North of the River cruise (I had the grey STI).

One option is to make a list of the problems and take it to Fats at Wangara, he knows the subies like the back of his hand, espicially the built cars.

Cheers
Old 26-07-2005, 06:43 PM
STI Master

Fozzy at standard level

Sti325V6 Fair trading will help you out for a private sale they just wont act but they will tell you your legal stance and what to do
Old 26-07-2005, 07:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

wrxwgn at standard level

I feel 4 u mate, it has happen 2 me(180sx). spent over 10k fixing it . (feel like killing the Seller).
Old 26-07-2005, 08:36 PM
raton

Seem to me you have been screwed in broad day light, from behind and worst of all…. in a standing position. In a private sale, the law doesn’t apply to the fullest despite what the Ministry of Fair Trading tells you, paper tigers! Now.. salvage the situation, spend some money fix the necessaries and swallow the bitter pill. Next time grow up….nobody here can help you!

Ariba ariba muchachos

raton

Old 26-07-2005, 08:56 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by raton
Next time grow up….nobody here can help you!
He was after advice - no need to be a spanker.

Tags
mad