Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

Oval > Cannon
Old 29-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

you should be able to youtube different brands of exhaust sounds on wrx, to get a rough idea of how you want it to sound and how low they are
Old 29-09-2012, 12:22 AM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Having owned an STI stock muffler, a cannon, and a twin exit oval muffler... I'd go the oval any day. Much more pleasant sitting on higher revs (3k was unbearable with the cannon, but is only noticeable with the oval muffler), yet if you give it shit or feather the throttle decelerating, it'll still burble and make all the usual noises.

If it's a daily vs a weekend car, it might play a bit differently though. I got really tired of losing the 'lets see if we can make it home without waking the surrounding 1km radius up' game when coming home at night, or not being able to have a conversation with someone in the car. If it was a weekender, I wouldn't say these things would worry me as much.

Have been followed & stopped by Police too, and they haven't even as much commented on the car let alone the exhaust. Didn't really with the cannon on either, though.
Old 29-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Sir AntiLag

drewgong at standard level

92 decibels, you can have you're system tested at an exhaust centre for about 60 bucks. They give you a signed paper for the glovebox for future encounters with the law
Old 29-09-2012, 05:52 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

STiV6 at standard level

I used to have a unknown 3 inch tbe with cannon on my gc8, was way too loud. Got a different 3 inch tbe from JWS with cannon and that's awesome, nice note, not overly loud and it's quiet on idle through to about 2.5k revs.

Have been stopped by the 5-0 with both on and nothing was said either time.
Old 29-09-2012, 06:24 AM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

Agree. It is more of the implimentation than the actual muffler tip or cannon. I uses to have a 4 inch cannon from Cypher on my old gc8 and it was fine. Certainly not quiet but never got pulled over once in nearly ten years. I now have the invidia Q300 system for the hatch and when I step on that with its four 3 inch tips....you know it is there in a big way. But drive past police at slight throttles....they don't even look.

If you really like cannons you could also get a silence or step down pipe to put in to the end pipe for school nights or hot dates. These drop the noise from 4 inches to 2.25 and still keep the cannon look. And you can pull it back out within two minutes for the weekend.

Or there are the varex type cannons. Lots of choices to get the look and sound that you are after.

You tube is your friend in deciding.
Old 29-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

X12 SRT at standard level

Up until recently I had a stock exhaust with an Xforce cannon which was damn loud and I had to be carful how I drove through town. I now have an Xforce 3" tbe with a Varex cannon which yes is still loud when fully open but great closed when sneeking out the drive early morning or when quiet running is required.
I'm not yet sold on the looks as the thing is big on my Bugeyes bum, but, and maybe It's just me but my wrx now seems to run and change more smoothly and there is a definite swoosh/wistle coming from my turbo now and power gain is noticeable, so whatever muffler you choose going to a 3" tbe is worth the expense.
Cheers.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 AM

Falky at standard level

thanks all...I have been thinking I'll go the oval since I have that now with twin pipes..just up the ante to 3" TBE..prolly tune as well since that seems the way
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM

tthomas417 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
Get a nice twin exit oval muffler. looks like a stocker and makes the right noises. How loud it gets is up to your right foot and how the cops treat you is up to how much of a cock you were being before they picked you up (usually, exceptions to every rule!)

Google "twin tip muffler" to check out what they look like. Looks better than a cannon anyway in my opinion but each to their own!

I would go with this IMO. Stock looking removes half the police attention plus my wrx is all black, so being stealthy fits the bill for me.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

I went an Oval TBE just recently, havn't installed it yet. My reasoning was that i want people to look at my car and say "thats nice", not look at it and say "that cunt wakes me up every morning with his loud sports car, what a hoon". the oval gives a good note when i want it, but gives me control over keeping it quiet when i want to be considerate.

Tags
cops, exhaust, versus